Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Rookie mistakes...

Post by Scuba » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Post mistakes rookies make, and how to avoid them.

My son is a fair weather hammocker, usually only hanging when it's warm. Took him with us last month on our Hurricane Cove trip, and After the first 2 nights he mentioned he was cold at night. Bear in mind, he was using my 20 degree quilt set (with an ounce of overfill). The suspension on the quilt was set for all 240 lbs of me, not his scrawny 165lbs. The results was a wind tunnel effect from both ends of the UQ, effectively negating any insulation.

Lesson - Your UQ suspension is just as important as your hammock suspension. Take the time to dial it in.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Rookie mistakes...

Post by sarge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 am

When getting into you hammock, you should reach behind you to grab the far edge of the hammock and push it back. Always look to make sure you're not grabbing the bug net thinking its the hammock. If you do, you will find that the hammock makes for an excellent pivot point right at your knees that will cause your body to rotate and come in sudden contact with the planet after a short period of accelleration.

Ask me how I know----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 am

++! on what Sarge said. In the middle of the night, always get your brain in gear enough to grab the (hopefully) hammock, and push down a bit to insure you DON'T just have the UQ and are about to sit into the UQ.

Always, while standing, push down on your just-hung hammock. Push down on the ridge line also. Make SURE the suspension is ready for your weight.
Last edited by rhjanes on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:50 am

Oh..."Milk your bury".....should be a set up montra...."milk...ummmm....Milk the....ummmm....Milk the Bury....ummmm"
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 am

Speaking of mantras, everybody, after me:

"On the knot, not the toggle"
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Rookie mistakes...

Post by brianb2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 am

Hike high, camp low. I was out this past weekend in Linville Gorge, NC and didn't arrive until after dark. No problems setting up in the dark, but site selection is harder. Winds were above 30 mph and I chose a spot that was way too exposed. Add a little sideways rain for fun. I could have looked longer for a better campsite but didn't. Lesson learned...again.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

P-Dub
Reactions:
Hammock: homemade
Tarp:
Suspension: homemade
Insulation:

Post by P-Dub » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 pm

Sewed a DIY hammock, some tree straps, made some nice amsteel whoopies, and went out to hang it. First time as a hammock user. Made my marlinspike hitch in the webbing to hang the hammock from using a stick I picked up off the ground.

Laying in the hammock enjoying the view up into the spruce trees above me and THUD! I hit the ground and cracked a rib in my back. Ooops. Stick not sturdy enough... :oops:

At least I wasn't too far up. I did pay attention to THAT guideline...

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:53 am

P-Dub wrote:Sewed a DIY hammock, some tree straps, made some nice amsteel whoopies, and went out to hang it. First time as a hammock user. Made my marlinspike hitch in the webbing to hang the hammock from using a stick I picked up off the ground.

Laying in the hammock enjoying the view up into the spruce trees above me and THUD! I hit the ground and cracked a rib in my back. Ooops. Stick not sturdy enough... :oops:

you might want to try a Becket Hitch instead of a MSH
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:09 pm

My big rookie mistake was taking a weather report at face value and testing my first UQ at its limit. Made a climashield 5.0 UQ, should be good down to 30 or so, weather for the cabin said low of 30, early spring. Figured it would be a good test of the quilt's limit. Also had a 20 degree bag as a TQ. Hiked about a half mile away, found a nice spot, went to sleep warm. About 3am I woke up uncomfortably cold and needing to relieve myself. I was frustrated that my quilt didn't perform. I knew it was adjusted right. Pretty irritated, I flipped the sleeping bag off to get up and found out that it wasn't 30 degrees as forecast. I can't tell temperature real accurately, but when your breath looks like you're smoking and the patches of snow squeak when you step on them it's pretty cold. Put my down jacket in the UQ, took a couple minutes to heat some water for my water bottle and toughed it out until daylight. Wasn't real comfortable hiking back to the cabin in the dark, I was off trail in a steeper area. Turns out it got down to 11 degrees that night in the nearest town.

It was a good learning experience. I know I can tough out a cold night and I have some first hand experience on why your quilts should be rated for at least 10 degrees less than you expect. When you toe the line and the weatherman is off by 15 degrees it makes for a long night. The next morning was one of the most satisfying campfire/coffee experiences of my life though.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

P-Dub
Reactions:
Hammock: homemade
Tarp:
Suspension: homemade
Insulation:

Post by P-Dub » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Scuba wrote:
P-Dub wrote:Sewed a DIY hammock, some tree straps, made some nice amsteel whoopies, and went out to hang it. First time as a hammock user. Made my marlinspike hitch in the webbing to hang the hammock from using a stick I picked up off the ground.

Thanks, I already switched to soft shackles!

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:09 pm

sarge wrote:When getting into you hammock, you should reach behind you to grab the far edge of the hammock and push it back. Always look to make sure you're not grabbing the bug net thinking its the hammock. If you do, you will find that the hammock makes for an excellent pivot point right at your knees that will cause your body to rotate and come in sudden contact with the planet after a short period of accelleration.

Ask me how I know----
When they are done asking you, they could ask me.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kangsterizer
Reactions:
Hammock: Yukon outfitter 11ft
Tarp: none yet
Suspension: strap and hooks
Insulation: EE quilts

Post by kangsterizer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:17 pm

My biggest rookie mistake was to hang the hammock without enough of an angle (i.e. too tight). For some reason it took me a night to figure out this was supposed to be way more comfortable and really loose to achieve some kind of a really flat lay (in a standard gathered ends hammock).

SMK
Reactions:
Hammock: extra wide chameleon
Tarp: Chill gorilla
Suspension: dutchware
Insulation: homemade

Post by SMK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:52 pm

My rookie mistake was going for a hang in march with no underquilt it was 76 for the day and decided to get down to 40 that night brrr not a good nights sleep

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm

sarge wrote:When getting into you hammock, you should reach behind you to grab the far edge of the hammock and push it back. Always look to make sure you're not grabbing the bug net thinking its the hammock. If you do, you will find that the hammock makes for an excellent pivot point right at your knees that will cause your body to rotate and come in sudden contact with the planet after a short period of accelleration.

Ask me how I know----
Or, folks could ask me how I know to make sure I am grabbing the hammock edge behind me, rather than the behind me edge of the UQ or PeaPod! I discovered this fact the hard way, and some months later confirmed it also the hard way.

EDIT: OOPS, I see this is my 2nd response to the same post from Sarge! Oh well, last one was 8 months ago, guess it is alright to repeat the response!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 am

Scuba wrote:

Or check out and try this "J-Bend". The two knots are easy to do and lock each other. A bit more complicated than the becket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-P-MVnMPk
Call me Junior

Return to “New Hanger Central”