GilligansWorld
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY12' 1.6 HyperD
Tarp: DIY winter 12'
Suspension: Spiderstrap/Ti Toggl
Insulation: HG/UGQ/OWL

Hola All

Post by GilligansWorld » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello/hola all from Northern Colorado. New here but been "hanging around" since 2016 when I made my first hammock

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hola All

Post by rhjanes » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am

Hi and welcome!
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy Hyperlight
Tarp: HH stock
Suspension: HH stock
Insulation: varies

Post by HammockMama » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am

Hola, back, from west of Boston.

Things have bee pretty quiet here.

GilligansWorld
Reactions:

Post by GilligansWorld » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am

Any DIY'ers on here?

Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: UGQ WD 13ft
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Post by Karla (with a k) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 am

Yup! I'm a DIY'er. I've been hammock camping since 2016.
◘ April: SprinterGiving ◘ May 17-19: 3rd Annual BACONFEST @ Devil's Lake S.P. ◘ May 31- June 2: Kickapoo Valley Challenge @ Wildcat Mtn SP ◘ ◘ 37 months of camping at least one night each month ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k

GilligansWorld
Reactions:

Re: RE: Re: Hola All

Post by GilligansWorld » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Karla (with a k) wrote:Yup! I'm a DIY'er. I've been hammock camping since 2016.
Funny that's when I started [emoji16]. I got invited on a trip that I didn't have the proper tent gear for So I took a flying leap and made my own hammock along with a reflectix pad and a wool army blanket for insulation under and used an old mummy style sleeping bag as my top quilt. I've made four hammocks now two tarps all of my suspension systems and I'm even toying around with making a wool coat.

Thank you for having me you folks seem pretty cool.

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:

Post by Karla (with a k) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am

GilligansWorld wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm
Karla (with a k) wrote:Funny that's when I started [emoji16]. nd made my own hammock along with a reflectix pad and a wool army blanket for insulation under and used an old mummy style sleeping bag as my top quilt. I've made four hammocks now two tarps all of my suspension systems and I'm even toying around with making a wool coat.
Well, this is a bit crazy. When I winter camp, I add a reflectix pad and a couple wool army blankets for insulation. I still use my Big Agnes mummy style sleeping bag as a top quilt too.

I will be making my first tarp this year and I've been considering making a wool skirt.

You sound like my hammock twin!
◘ April: SprinterGiving ◘ May 17-19: 3rd Annual BACONFEST @ Devil's Lake S.P. ◘ May 31- June 2: Kickapoo Valley Challenge @ Wildcat Mtn SP ◘ ◘ 37 months of camping at least one night each month ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k

GilligansWorld
Reactions:

Post by GilligansWorld » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 am

Karla (with a k) wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am
GilligansWorld wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm
Karla (with a k) wrote:Funny that's when I started [emoji16]. nd made my own hammock along with a reflectix pad and a wool army blanket for insulation under and used an old mummy style sleeping bag as my top quilt. I've made four hammocks now two tarps all of my suspension systems and I'm even toying around with making a wool coat.
Well, this is a bit crazy. When I winter camp, I add a reflectix pad and a couple wool army blankets for insulation. I still use my Big Agnes mummy style sleeping bag as a top quilt too.

I will be making my first tarp this year and I've been considering making a wool skirt.

You sound like my hammock twin!
Indeed - exciting making your own stuff. Have to post how the tarp and skirt come out. Don't let the tarp intimidate you. Lots of fabric but pin or like I do clip (with the heavy duty pinch clips from office depot only I apply a little silicon to the edges so it won't mess up the ripstop) and then go really slow and deliberate. Also planning is a must. I recommend "planning or mocking" it out first - then set "stages" and then finally double, tripple, and quadruple check everything before you drop a stitch cause nothing sucks worse than ripping out 13' of stiching.

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:

Post by Karla (with a k) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm waiting for RipStop By The Roll to process my order. It will take a bit since I have special material.

GilligansWorld
Reactions:

Post by GilligansWorld » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 am

Karla (with a k) wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm waiting for RipStop By The Roll to process my order. It will take a bit since I have special material.
Have you seen their latest offering - Airwave? Supposed to be softer than cotton and as strong or stronger than typical RipStop

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:

Post by Karla (with a k) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:44 am

I've seen it, but haven't ordered it yet.

GilligansWorld
Reactions:

Post by GilligansWorld » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm

I am probably ordering some before 3/29 - their sale ends then - should work out to less than $6/yard

Return to “Howdy!”