ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Neusiok Trail

Post by ADVStrom14 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Has anyone hiked the Neusiok Trail in Craven county NC? My mom and I are planning to do it while I am out of school for Thanksgiving break. It's just a short 20 miler in the sandy flat lands of eastern NC. Didn't know if anyone else had taken the route before.

http://www.neusioktrail.org/

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Neusiok Trail

Post by brianb2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:18 am

Never heard of it until your post. Sounds like fun after reading the site. Any idea what the water situation like on the trail? Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Re: Neusiok Trail

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 am

brianb2 wrote:Never heard of it until your post. Sounds like fun after reading the site. Any idea what the water situation like on the trail? Let us know how it goes.

From what I've read it's boggy so there is water but it's full of tannins and may have a taste. I plan to drive to one of the section trailheads that I know we'll cross and stash some jugs there to refill our bottles as we go.

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be my first major distance sleep in the woods backpacking trip!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:23 am

Smart. I've had to do that a couple of times on summer hikes where water sources were dried up. Good luck on the hike, sounds like a blast. Don't take too much, keep your pack on the lighter side. Also, bring some first aid stuff for your feet in case one of you gets blisters. 20 mile shouldn't be a problem, but if your feet are giving you problems then the fun factor will drop.

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:37 am

Caching water is an absolute requirement down here. Heat, humidity, and unreliable skanky water sources are tough to deal with.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by southernfire97 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Man I hate skanky water too. Why can't it all just be nice, wholesome water. [emoji12]

Return to “South”