Bear Grylls

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Bear Grylls

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Some folks who know me will be surprised that I'm enjoying Bear Grylls' new show. I never liked his old show that purported to be about how to survive because he was doing stupid, irresponsible stuff like jumping from a cliff into a river in Canada during October because it would it would be "faster". In his new show, he takes starlets, boy band members whose fans have grown up, and pretty boy actors who haven't made the big time yet out into the wild for an overnight trip that involves climbing, rappelling, drinking pee, getting scared by wild animals, and eating something icky he kills on the way.

Next week he's doing something involving cougars. Courtney Cox is the guest star.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Re: Bear Grylls

Post by kev137 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:49 am

:D. Courtney Cox ha.
Bear is no Les Stroud. Always liked survivor man better because his advice was more practical. Plus there was no fancy camera crew and he didn't go home at the end of the day. Les was really roughing it.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Bear Grylls has a wealth of knowledge but a fundamental lack of understanding that very few have had that training, or are in the physical condition required for say, jumping off a cliff into a tree go shimmy down. I've always found most of his suggestions to be dangerous for the average person.

+1 for Les Stroud. Put both of those guys in the woods alone for a month and see how it shakes out. One of them is documenting his survival, one wants to make an exiting survival show.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:14 pm

For the most part I enjoy his show anyway. Or at least I end up watching it. Had that hottie Juliette(?) Hough on last week, from dancing with the stars. Sometimes I am amazed at what these show biz types are willing to go through.

Maybe I better start watching Les Stroud. What network is he on?
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

dirtwheels
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD, Sheltowee, Amok
Tarp: UGQ, Spinn Edge
Suspension: HF Straps & Dynema
Insulation: Downy Goodness

Post by dirtwheels » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Thought it might be interesting for those watching BG. I've never been a fan of his style but my hat's off to him for professing his faith in today's media environment.

http://qpolitical.com/1-bear-grylls-sha ... us-christ/

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:59 pm

I don't know that Les is still on the air. His show was just him, no camera crew. He would set up scenarios people might find themselves in. Like getting stuck in a car in a blizzard, or getting lost on a fishing trip, and using whatever he had on hand to survive and get out. Very practical information. Plus he had to carry all his camera ger himself. So hike up, set up camera, hike back and film himself hiking up. Plus he never drank his own pee.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:21 pm

dirtwheels wrote:Thought it might be interesting for those watching BG. I've never been a fan of his style but my hat's off to him for professing his faith in today's media environment.

Fantastic! I had no idea! Certainly makes me more favorably disposed towards the Bear, and I will be even more likely to watch his show! Thx for finding this!

Did you watch the video?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:09 am

dirtwheels wrote:Thought it might be interesting for those watching BG. I've never been a fan of his style but my hat's off to him for professing his faith in today's media environment.

I saw that the other day. One hopes that he expresses some of his belief on Network TV.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

dirtwheels
Reactions:

Post by dirtwheels » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

You are most welcome, I did watch the video and it appeared genuine. It may make me more likely to tune in as well.
BillyBob66 wrote:

Fantastic! I had no idea! Certainly makes me more favorably disposed towards the Bear, and I will be even more likely to watch his show! Thx for finding this!

Did you watch the video?

dirtwheels
Reactions:

Post by dirtwheels » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:10 pm

That could be good, but doubt there will be much room for it finding it's way past the editors.
sarge wrote:

I saw that the other day. One hopes that he expresses some of his belief on Network TV.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

kev137 wrote:I don't know that Les is still on the air. His show was just him, no camera crew. He would set up scenarios people might find themselves in. Like getting stuck in a car in a blizzard, or getting lost on a fishing trip, and using whatever he had on hand to survive and get out. Very practical information. Plus he had to carry all his camera ger himself. So hike up, set up camera, hike back and film himself hiking up. Plus he never drank his own pee.

Les quit some time ago. IIRMC he said it was due to setting up all the cameras and for filing the show was too taxing, which is certainly understandable. Trying to survive while trying to get it all on tape by yourself would be something most would not be able to do. If you are looking for something comparable, I've found Joe Robinet's channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19 to be very well shot and more entertaining than broadcast television. Some survival, mostly just bushcraft and camping which is what I am more likely to do anyway.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

Flynguy521 wrote:
kev137 wrote:I don't know that Les is still on the air. His show was just him, no camera crew. He would set up scenarios people might find themselves in. Like getting stuck in a car in a blizzard, or getting lost on a fishing trip, and using whatever he had on hand to survive and get out. Very practical information. Plus he had to carry all his camera ger himself. So hike up, set up camera, hike back and film himself hiking up. Plus he never drank his own pee.

Les quit some time ago. IIRMC he said it was due to setting up all the cameras for filming the show was too taxing, which is certainly understandable. Trying to survive while trying to get it all on tape by yourself would be something most would not be able to do. If you are looking for something comparable, I've found Joe Robinet's channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19 to be very well shot and more entertaining than broadcast television. Some survival, mostly just bushcraft and camping which is what I am more likely to do anyway.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Return to “The Morning Briefing”