9th Texas Fall Group Hang - November 9-12, 2017

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 9th Texas Fall Group Hang - November 9-12, 2017

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Campsites for the Texas Fall Hang in November...

If you have gone to the TPWD reservation page and see that there are NONE available, don't panic.

There are still sites that can be reserved through the block that I have reserved by contacting oldgringo, (info in the FAQ's for the Event).

This is not a forever option nor is it a wait to the last minute option either as I plan to contact the park by September 30 to release any unclaimed spaces to the general public. It doesn't make sense to hang onto spots that may remain vacant and deprive other campers from the opportunity to enjoy the place.

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:57 am

There are also people who are willing to share their sites that they have reserved, including mine. My wife and I have a site reserved but we can accommodate a few other hangers as well. If you need a site and don't mind being with others, feel free to contact those individuals that have a site reserved already and have marked on the spreadsheet that they are willing to share. Contact those people directly. Once arrangements have been made, the spreadsheet will be updated to indicate whose site you will be sharing.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey campers, just to piggy back on Polkster13's comment...

Here's a reminder to update your information on the planning spreadsheet with your arrival day and number in your group. If you are not part of the Facebook group, please also make sure to include an email as a secondary means of communication in addition to private messages. :)

If you have not placed yourself on the planning sheet, please do so. (It's possible that you may have been added so look first before beginning a new record.)

This is important as it helps us make sure everyone has a campsite. Some folks are willing to share sites but before asking someone to share, be sure your info is posted. (While I am open to sharing with people, I don't think I would even respond to a request from someone out of the blue that I don't know or who has never posted unless I've seen their commitment to come and can check a profile as well.) :o

We're going to have a great time this year and one of the keys to making sure that happens is that we plan ahead. Site density and availability is different this year which makes it all the more important that we're all on the same page, no pun intended. :roll:

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:18 pm

In each of the past several years, I have booked a block of 35 sites and made them available for folks to pay for and use. Last year the 35th site was claimed during the middle of October. This year, as of today, August 20th, 34 of those 35 are taken, leaving 1 from that original block. I've never seen sites fill like this. 😱

Pretty cool and a bit on the amazing side.

Once that last site is claimed, there are still a few sites as I've noted in another post that can be booked through Oldgringo and me, but not many and only until the end of September.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am

UncleMJM wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 am
Re: Campsites for the Texas Fall Hang in November...

If you have gone to the TPWD reservation page and see that there are NONE available, don't panic.

There are still sites that can be reserved through the block that I have reserved by contacting oldgringo, (info in the FAQ's for the Event).

This is not a forever option nor is it a wait to the last minute option either as I plan to contact the park by September 30 to release any unclaimed spaces to the general public. It doesn't make sense to hang onto spots that may remain vacant and deprive other campers from the opportunity to enjoy the place.
While the initial block of 35 sites are now spoken for, there are still sites available as noted above. Once those are gone, that doesn't mean there are no trees, but that arrangements will need to be made to share sites.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 am

Two months to go!

There are still a few spaces available to book through Oldgringo. Reminder: Unbooked sites to be opened up to the rest of the world after September 30th.

Cajunracer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Cajunracer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Just booked with Oldgringo. Looking forward to meeting y'all. I am willing to share my site if anyone wants/needs. I also have extra SMR gear if anyone wants/needs to use some.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Cajunracer wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm
Just booked with Oldgringo. Looking forward to meeting y'all. I am willing to share my site if anyone wants/needs. I also have extra SMR gear if anyone wants/needs to use some.
Excellent! Looking forward to meeting you as well. I've added you to the planning spreadsheet as having a pd site. Please update the other appropriate fields.

Here's the link to the planning spreadsheet

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

UncleMJM wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 am
Two months to go!

There are still a few spaces available to book through Oldgringo. Reminder: Unbooked sites to be opened up to the rest of the world after September 30th.

... and by "a few spaces", I mean 10 left.

pencil5757
Reactions:
Hammock: looking for one
Tarp: looking for one
Suspension: not sure what kind I
Insulation: not sure

Post by pencil5757 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Are there Any spots left?
{Pencil Perfect}

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm

pencil5757 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm
As of this moment, there are still 10 spots available.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm

UncleMJM wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm
pencil5757 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm
As of this moment, there are still 10 spots available.
Would you believe, 8? :shock:

pencil5757
Reactions:
Hammock: looking for one
Tarp: looking for one
Suspension: not sure what kind I
Insulation: not sure

Post by pencil5757 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Wanted to come and bring my grandson but his schooling has changed sense Harvey! So maybe we can make the next time.
{Pencil Perfect}

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 am

Today's post on another site by our official "banker"...
oldgringo;1822229 wrote:Today is the last day to book a site through me. After today, you will have to go through the TPWD online circus and compete with the unwashed masses in their <shudder> RVs. DON'T WAIT!

That's right folks. After today, I've committed to talk to the park about releasing the remaining few sites.

There are only 6 left! :o

I know it's a bit over a month out and many times folks don't know about plans until closer to the date.

Some wait until closer to the time and arrange to share a site with someone who has one reserved and that's still a possibility.

The problem we face this year is that we are in a different part of the park than we've used in the past, and while there is plenty of space for lots of hammocks, some sites are not as conducive to hanging as many hammocks as others which means that they may not be as suitable to share as we have relied upon in the past.

We currently have just shy of 150 signed up and nearly 90% of the available sites booked. Hope we see you there!

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 am

UncleMJM wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 am
Today's post on another site by our official "banker"...
oldgringo;1822229 wrote:Today is the last day to book a site through me. After today, you will have to go through the TPWD online circus and compete with the unwashed masses in their <shudder> RVs. DON'T WAIT!

That's right folks. After today, I've committed to talk to the park about releasing the remaining few sites.

There are only 6 left! :o

We currently have just shy of 150 signed up and nearly 90% of the available sites booked. Hope we see you there!
I have spoken with my contacts at the park and we have agreed to give a bit more time to allow our folks an opportunity to take the remaining sites. They also had 1 that had previously been reserved by someone, not with us, come open for our use.

A couple more families have been added to the planning sheet, (putting us over the 160 mark), and reserved some of the sites. There are 4 remaining. To book one of those, PM me here, on FB, or by email.

Return to “Texas Trips”