Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Texas State Parks and 2 inch straps

Post by Scuba » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

Recently it was discovered that Texas State Parks have put a rule into place (or maybe it's just a suggestion) that hammock need to be hung using 2 inch straps. This caused some people on the Texas Hammock Hangers FB group to declare how this is a terrible, really bad, no good rule. Here are my thoughts on it.
Rant time regarding the TPWD rule requiring 2 inch straps.

Some people on the other thread are sounding like they want to "fight the power" when it comes to this rule, and I want to come out saying that is a bad idea. The reason we recommend tree straps vs rope is because with a strap the pressure exerted on the tree's cambium layer is lessened because the force is dispersed over a greater area. So, if a 1 inch strap disperses the force over a greater area than rope, would it not also stand to reason that a 2 inch strap would do a better job than a 1 inch strap?

If that is the TPWD position, I am good with that. If they are saying "hey, we are ok with you guys enjoying our State's natural beauty, but we just want to protect the trees", then I am ecstatic. Because of the boom in hammock use, many places are outright banning hammocks. I don't want Texas parks to go that route. I have publicly refused to go to a group hang in a Texas State Park where the superintendent was telling the organizer that hanging would not be allowed and stands would have to be used. I have stands. I just refuse to give my money to a park that is basically telling me I am not welcome there. At last month's Butt Bake, I saw eye rings screwed into a tree. I saw an MSR groundhog type stake that had been DRIVEN into a tree. At Fairfield this summer, i saw nails driven into trees, and heard yesterday from a reliable source about mule tape wrapped around hanging branches in places where removal would necessitate a ladder.

Some who read this are going to react negatively. Some will respond by saying that their hardware is designed for one inch straps. You're right it is. Here are 2 solutions. Make a 2to1 strap (a section of 2 inch strap sewn onto a section of 1 inch strap), or just make a 4-6 foot long, 2 inch wide tree hugger (strap with loops on both ends) and larkshead your existing one inch strap onto that. Some will then respond, but Scuba i dont want to give Dutch almost $8 for a pair of 4ft long tree huggers. I totally understand not wanting to give Dutch any money, and in that spirit I will make you a pair of 4ft, two inch tree huggers for $5 a pair plus shipping to you. I am not in the hammock gear business, but will do this to help out my fellow Texas hangers at basically no profit.

Some people aren't going to take me upon my offer, and they might be hanging at a Texas State Park and have a ranger tell them they have to use a 2 inch strap or remove the hammock. They are then going to argue with the ranger about how they know better, and one inch straps are sufficient, at least they aren't using rope, etc... That is what TPWD is going to use as an excuse to ban hammocks from their parks. Please don't.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Texas State Parks and 2 inch straps

Post by Flatliner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 am

VERY WELL SAID! I am not a Texas hanger but did have to cancel a personal trip last year in another state after speaking to a ranger and being told that my Hammock was a no go. She shares exactly the examples you did about bad behaviors she had seen. They threw the baby out with the bath water...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 am

Message deleted by the writer.
Last edited by Calait on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am

Unless it was Tim (who is in charge of FLSP) I would NOT take that to the bank. I very seriously doubt that anyone at FLSP will go on the record as saying to ignore the TPWD guidelines. In other words, just be cautious.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm

My plan is to follow the rules and not worry about it.

A set of 2 inch straps costs a small amount and I figure that it's better to adhere to "simple to follow guidelines" or at the very least, fly under the radar.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Are there any possibilities of stitching a 2-inch webbing to our 1-inch straps thereby following the State mandated 2-inch strap? Wondering if stitching 4-feet of 2-inch webbing for the first 1-foot of the strap and wrapping the remainder of the 4-foot section around the tree, might work?
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

BearBurrito
Reactions:
Hammock: Modded ENO
Tarp: Various
Suspension: Straps w/ spiders
Insulation: DIY

Post by BearBurrito » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm

In Florida the state Parks have the 2" strap rule. A friend who was going to a "u-pull-it" type junkyard grabbed me two seatbelts out of a car. I hacksawed the metal piece out of the loop. Ended with a 7 or 8 foot 2" strap with a loop on one end.

They more than serve the purpose. I don't hang at state parks very often and when I do it is "car camping" so the extra weight isn't a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”