sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Making You Tube Videos

Post by sarge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Just wanted to take a minute and sing the praises of Bruce at Nature Calls and his series on how to make better You Tube videos. I binge watched the whole series over the weekend and will be incorporating a lot of this stuff into my videos in the upcoming weeks.

Those of you who watched the video I did on the Yukon Kindle Underquilt may remember Bruce as the guy who did the backyard test on that UQ as it was too warm down here for me to give it a decent test.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6RYoAqaVH0

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Re: Making You Tube Videos

Post by Flynguy521 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm

I'll have to check them out! I know Scuba posted about cutting his cable bill by adding Netflix, and HBO Go and what not, but I can pretty much do without all of that as long as I have Youtube and Apple TV.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:26 pm

What was good for me was not only learning a bunch of stuff, but a confirmation that some of what I've been doing intuitively is something that works.

I've got some software limitations that will keep me from doing some of what he and the others show, but a lot of it is going to be easy to try.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Making You Tube Videos

Post by Mophead » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am

I know my few videos suck. But I've worked in sales, and done some presenting and and "teaching" and I watch a lot of YouTube videos. Here are a few tips you can take them for what they're with if you want a more professional channel:

Avoid rambling but don't read a script. If you write a word-for-word script inevitably what happens is you will forget it and then freeze and become lost, and/or then you will ramble. Rather, make an outline of what you want to cover and practice what you will say out loud before hand. You should be able to get through without using ANY fillers: umm, so, like, well, etc. NEVER EVER start your video with any of those words either. if you find yourself about to use them just slow down or stop and think about what you want to say and get back on track. A 1-3 sec pause is better than saying ummm and can actually make you sound more thoughtful or sincere.

Don't have a long intro. If you want an intro keep it short and tasteful. You're not improving your videos substance or making yourself look more professional having a 20 sec plus intro with music and video effects then saying "umm" through the video. Keep it all short and sweet and get the point across.

After your spiffy intro (optional) have a REAL presentation introduction. If you titled your video "how to make an..." people already know they're watching a video, and they can most likely read your title. Therefor, don't start off with "this video we are going to learn how to make an..." Either cut the fluff and get to it or start off with an engaging question, paint a vivid picture, or use an inspirational quote if it is that kind of video. For gear reviews and DIY a good idea would be something like asking "Have you ever had this annoying problem hiking where..." Then show them the solution. Try to make eye contact with the camera.

Unless you are actually thanking someone for something (watching doesn't count) there's no need to say "thank you" at the end. It should be their pleasure to watch your videos or hear you speak so don't thank them for it. I know nearly everyone does this but they just do it because they don't know how else to wrap up so they copy others. If you want a better ending try to circle back to what you said in your intro to bring it home. You can sometimes tell a joke or story at the end to help you circle back smoothly.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:52 am

You want it to have three parts intro, body, conclusion. Intro should grab the viewers attention, and set up the outline of the body without repeating info in the title or description.

It's tough to emphasize how important the intro is as its really what is going to grab the viewers attention. You can google "presentation introduction ideas" for lots of ideas but here are a few more examples:

State a bold fact or statistic:
Say it authoritatively, even if they strongly disagree they will likely finish watching just to see if you can convince them.

Audience participation:

This is kind of hammy to do in a video but shug does it all the time. And that man makes some fine vids.

Rhetorical question:

Kind of like above ask them if they have a problem and offer how to solve it etc

If video #1 didn't have a fancy intro but you started with, "I want you to walk to your gear closet, get your cozie, and throw it in the trash."

Video #2 had an intro with fire plumes, trail clips, sparks, music then opened with "ok, so today we're going to experiment with coozies and see how much heat is lost..."

Video 1 will have more people sit and watch it. Simply because the conclusion you opened with is so shocking they will want to see your methodology and numbers etc to see if you did something wrong to arrive at such a shocking conclusion.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Mophead wrote:I know my few videos suck. But I've worked in sales, and done some presenting and and "teaching" and I watch a lot of YouTube videos. Here are a few tips you can take them for what they're with if you want a more professional channel:

Avoid rambling but don't read a script. If you write a word-for-word script inevitably what happens is you will forget it and then freeze and become lost, and/or then you will ramble. Rather, make an outline of what you want to cover and practice what you will say out loud before hand. You should be able to get through without using ANY fillers: umm, so, like, well, etc. NEVER EVER start your video with any of those words either. if you find yourself about to use them just slow down or stop and think about what you want to say and get back on track. A 1-3 sec pause is better than saying ummm and can actually make you sound more thoughtful or sincere.
One of the things I try to do is a "three second count" before I start talking. I'll turn the camera on, clap three times or count 1, 2, 3 aloud, pause a second, then start talking. It gives me a moment to collect my thoughts, calm myself down, and lets me know where to edit the clip so that there's not a big pause at the beginning.
Mophead wrote:Don't have a long intro. If you want an intro keep it short and tasteful. You're not improving your videos substance or making yourself look more professional having a 20 sec plus intro with music and video effects then saying "umm" through the video. Keep it all short and sweet and get the point across.
Biggest pet peeve: a five minute video with a 90 second intro. I made a conscious decision when I started that my intro wouldn't be much longer than 10 seconds. I've got a 12 second clip, divided into (3) 4 second sections, one for the "Texas Hammockwerks Presents" text, the next for the video title, and the third for a explanatory note (or smartazz comment) and that's it. The outro is a seven second still of a pic of me and my Dad on the Long Trail in 1983. Everything else is the subject video.
Mophead wrote:After your spiffy intro (optional) have a REAL presentation introduction. If you titled your video "how to make an..." people already know they're watching a video, and they can most likely read your title. Therefor, don't start off with "this video we are going to learn how to make an..." Either cut the fluff and get to it or start off with an engaging question, paint a vivid picture, or use an inspirational quote if it is that kind of video. For gear reviews and DIY a good idea would be something like asking "Have you ever had this annoying problem hiking where..." Then show them the solution. Try to make eye contact with the camera.
I try to make it a story. One of Bruce's guest videographers was one who told how to tell a story, and that's one of the things I was a bit gratified to hear because I'd been doing it intuitively. The "Here's what my problem was, and here's the solution." thing does work well for DIY and reviews. If I don;t have an actual story, I try to make up a funny one, like the protesters with ropes and branding irons outside the house because I;d put beans in my chili.
Mophead wrote:Unless you are actually thanking someone for something (watching doesn't count) there's no need to say "thank you" at the end. It should be their pleasure to watch your videos or hear you speak so don't thank them for it. I know nearly everyone does this but they just do it because they don't know how else to wrap up so they copy others. If you want a better ending try to circle back to what you said in your intro to bring it home. You can sometimes tell a joke or story at the end to help you circle back smoothly.
I do like to thank folks for watching, but don't do it all the time. I do think I should do more of it because when it comes right down to it, they're doing me a favor for watching all the way through.
Mophead wrote:You want it to have three parts intro, body, conclusion. Intro should grab the viewers attention, and set up the outline of the body without repeating info in the title or description.

It's tough to emphasize how important the intro is as its really what is going to grab the viewers attention. You can google "presentation introduction ideas" for lots of ideas but here are a few more examples:

State a bold fact or statistic:
Say it authoritatively, even if they strongly disagree they will likely finish watching just to see if you can convince them.
One of the things I discovered worked best for me early on was to edit the body of the video first, finish that job, watch the whole thing, THEN go in and shoot the intro and conclusion. Its easier to tell folks about what you're going to show them and why if you've seen it yourself. If you shoot your intro first and forget to do something in the body, you'll have to go re-shoot the intro anyway. If you shoot the conclusion last, you can use that to fill in the gaps in your story and bring it all together without leaving any holes.

Shooting the video is the easy part, editing is harder, but bringing it all together is where the real heartache is.

Mophead wrote:Audience participation:

This is kind of hammy to do in a video but shug does it all the time. And that man makes some fine vids.

Rhetorical question:

Kind of like above ask them if they have a problem and offer how to solve it etc

If video #1 didn't have a fancy intro but you started with, "I want you to walk to your gear closet, get your cozie, and throw it in the trash."

Video #2 had an intro with fire plumes, trail clips, sparks, music then opened with "ok, so today we're going to experiment with coozies and see how much heat is lost..."

Video 1 will have more people sit and watch it. Simply because the conclusion you opened with is so shocking they will want to see your methodology and numbers etc to see if you did something wrong to arrive at such a shocking conclusion.
Wait----

You didn't like the cozie videos?
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:17 pm

I really liked the cozie videos. I was just trying to come up with an example for the startling statistic or bold statement intro.

My biggest pet peeve about YouTube is the long fancy intro followed by a s#!%tty video. Second, is the intro followed by rambling with little content. There's a big channel called intense angler that has some good stuff but I never watch his videos because he just talks too much.

I like your videos and intro. I also like your "see you on the trail" catch phrase if you could call it that.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Mophead wrote:I really liked the cozie videos. I was just trying to come up with an example for the startling statistic or bold statement intro.

My biggest pet peeve about YouTube is the long fancy intro followed by a s#!%tty video. Second, is the intro followed by rambling with little content. There's a big channel called intense angler that has some good stuff but I never watch his videos because he just talks too much.

I like your videos and intro. I also like your "see you on the trail" catch phrase if you could call it that.
Yah--

"All secure in Sector 7" was already taken----
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Speaking of channels... Did anyone notice Sgt Rocks channel is no more? Wonder if he just moved it or if he's gone?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Mophead wrote:Speaking of channels... Did anyone notice Sgt Rocks channel is no more? Wonder if he just moved it or if he's gone?

Dang.

I'd noticed that the video on the front page of Hiking HQ wasn't showing, but figgered it was a glitch. Just clicked on the link I put in the "Pretty Dang Useful Links" post and it says the channel doesn't exist. Just checked his FB, and that's not there either.

I've reached out to Superman at Hiking HQ-----
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Supe sez that Rock Is OK, he just unplugged.

Hope he plugs back in at some point.
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:48 am

Yeah, hopefully he keeps posting periodically somewhere. I know I have incorporated a lot of his ideas- his cook kit almost entirely. Honestly, if more people were checking the forums less and only getting on every 3-6 months to share and see what was new we would probably have many more ideas going around because people would be doing things differently.

Return to “Backpacks & Other Gear”