GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Polycryo poncho?

Post by GregD » Tue May 31, 2016 3:19 pm

Does anyone have any experience, or seen any online discussion, of using polycryo (heat shrink window film) for a poncho?

In cooler weather I'm inclined to stick with my Frog Togs rain suit as it also windproof and adds a bit of warmth. But in hot weather I expect that to be no help while backpacking on the trail - I'd be soaked in sweat (and rain stinks less).

My idea is a 5' x 10' piece of heavy duty polycro (about $9) and a handful of plastic snaps where needed. That should cover me and pack, and double as a ground cloth, for about 4 ounces.
Last edited by GregD on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Polycro poncho?

Post by Scuba » Tue May 31, 2016 3:53 pm

I have one I made out of RBTR SilPoly. It is a tester I made in developing my poncho/pack-cover all in one.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 pm

More searching on BPL turned up some threads on this very thing. I think I'll order the stuff and give it a try.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue May 31, 2016 5:23 pm

In this climate, anything that is not super breatheable is going to be a problem,I gave up on ponchos and rain suits long ago.

Four years ago I got a Go Lite Umbrella and haven't looked back. Go Lite went out of business a couple years ago, but Six Moon Designs picked up the contract from the German company that was making them and markets them now:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/silver-s ... ArPv8P8HAQ

They do one thing a poncho won't ever do for you: throw shade when you have to walk down a Forest Service road or lumbered out trail in the middle of July and August .
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Tue May 31, 2016 5:52 pm

sarge wrote:In this climate, anything that is not super breatheable is going to be a problem,I gave up on ponchos and rain suits long ago.

Four years ago I got a Go Lite Umbrella and haven't looked back. Go Lite went out of business a couple years ago, but Six Moon Designs picked up the contract from the German company that was making them and markets them now:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/silver-s ... ArPv8P8HAQ

They do one thing a poncho won't ever do for you: throw shade when you have to walk down a Forest Service road or lumbered out trail in the middle of July and August .
If the sun and heat are too much for me they are certainly too much for the dogs. Especially with packs. I'm not going out in July or August. I might sneak in a trip in June.

I have an umbrella from Gossamer Gear for all the reasons you mention, but for some trips I'm thinking a poncho would be better.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:30 pm

I ordered heavy duty window film. I got it yesterday. It weighed out to about 1.1 oz per square yard, which would be about 6 oz or so for the poncho. It claims to be twice the thickness of the normal duty film so I ordered that and hope for a weight of around 3 ounces or less. This package is enough for two pack-covering ponchos.

I also ordered plastic snaps and a pliers to set them from kamsnaps.com.

"Plan A" is to put a square of Tyvek tape at each snap location since I'm guessing those will be the high stress areas.

Next update in about a week I expect.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:55 pm

I've been using these green painters drop cloths instead of the polycro for building tarp prototypes. In fact, I've used the prototype tarps on many occasions and have had others use them as well. One young guy who I made one of these for has been using his for about 8months. For less than $5 it's a great way to test out new designs and they're sturdy enough to last a while. They're translucent, so they're only going to provide minimal protection from the sun; but will do just fine in the rain.

I know it says biodegradable, but don't worry about them withering away the first time water touches them. Not sure how they would do in proper cold weather. It's still a fun tarp to take out from time to time. Might be useful for your poncho idea. Post some photos if you get something produced. Good luck.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-9-ft ... /203432248

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Polycryo poncho?

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 pm

The age old battle of sweat vs rain. I have been on the verge of going umbrella for a while now, especially in hot weather where - as already mentioned- shade could be a benefit. I suppose the polycryo would work about as well as anything else, because no matter how breathable a fabric, I am going to sweat gallons when it is hot, even if wearing a cotton tee shirt.

I guess if it is pouring rain there probably won't be much use for shade, at least until the clouds go away. I some times wonder - considering how much I am going to sweat hiking with a pack in hot weather- if I wouldn't be better off just forgetting about the rain protection? At least if warm/hot temps are guaranteed, even the lows of the day? And maybe concentrating on quick drying and wicking clothes, plus dry cloths available for camp once the tarp is up? Oh, and also making sure the pack's contents are well protected of course.

Not that I have ever taken that approach. I have a sil-nylon Packa which has HUGE pit zips, but I have not yet put it to the test in hot weather. But no matter how much ventilation or breathability, if it is hot I am going to be sweating buckets.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

HammockMom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Polycryo poncho?

Post by HammockMom » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 am

Tom Hennessy made some "coolie" hats from Reflectix some years back, intended as sun hats. They were given out as promotional items one year at Trail Days. I asked him to make one for me that was slightly larger than his standard. I use it for sun protection, rain protection, a "sit-upon," and cold spot fix in my hammock. It gives enough protection to protect my head and shoulders in light rain, which, with a pack cover, is enough. I haven't been able to get him to make more. They are labor-intensive and just take too much time: look weird but work!

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Polycryo poncho?

Post by Mophead » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:25 am

Interested to hear wow this worked for you. I made a very minimal poncho for summer use out of the lighter duty stuff and I am thinking there are better options out there.

I used double sided tape that came with the film to tape a rolled hem around the edges. Created square and triangular patches of tape and film to reinforce the edges of the head hole.

After the necessary reinforcement it was only 0.3oz lighter than a plastic "disposable poncho". And I think the plastic disposable poncho is more durable. Any rip in the window film just wants to continue to tear so easily.

Return to “Backpacks & Other Gear”