No see-um stuff sack? anybody done this?

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

No see-um stuff sack? anybody done this?

Post by kev137 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:26 am

I have some left over no see-um and a desire to make something. I was thinking of doing a double ended stuff sack for my tarp ( already made snake skins for my other tarp) with pockets for my lines and stingers.

My thinking was that if the tarp is damp the no see um will help it to dry by allowing it to breathe while I'm hiking home. I made a little pouch out of it for my poncho that i use at work ( and camping ) and it's held up well.

So what do y'all think? Go for it or waist of time? Don't think it'll be any lighter than the stuff sack it came in ( it's a warbonnet Mamajamba) but i use a double ended sack on my walkabout rainfly and like how convenient it is.

" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Re: No see-um stuff sack? anybody done this?

Post by brianb2 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:00 am

I do a single snakeskin out of no see-um for my tarp for the same reasons. Gets stored on the outside of my pack so it can dry as I hike. If you do make a no see-um stuff sack it can also be used as a pre-filter before treating your water. I keep a piece in my FA kit for that reason, I just melted the edges to stop it from disintegrating. Good luck
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 am

I bought some at REI. I keep my Sawyer filter "stuff" in it. I use Mountain Goats snake mesh snake skins on my tarp. The outside of the tarp next to the mesh, will dry. But inside really won't. No airflow when the tarp is rolled up to go into the mesh. Same with other objects. But the stuff is super light so a good way to store some items.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm

kev137 wrote:I have some left over no see-um and a desire to make something. I was thinking of doing a double ended stuff sack for my tarp ( already made snake skins for my other tarp) with pockets for my lines and stingers.

My thinking was that if the tarp is damp the no see um will help it to dry by allowing it to breathe while I'm hiking home. I made a little pouch out of it for my poncho that i use at work ( and camping ) and it's held up well.

So what do y'all think? Go for it or waist of time? Don't think it'll be any lighter than the stuff sack it came in ( it's a warbonnet Mamajamba) but i use a double ended sack on my walkabout rainfly and like how convenient it is.
I've done exactly that and it works well.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Got off work this morning and made one. Posted pics on the Facebook page. Turned out o.k. , I'm happy with the results.
Brianb2 i like your idea and think that may be next on my wanna do list. Might make a Sawyer filter pouch like rhjanes described and use it as a prefilter.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 pm

That mesh as a pre-filter is a great Tip!!! I have a bottom-cut-off-a-Smart-Water bottle, which is my scoop but also my Mini-Sawyer and such goes inside that. Then, all of it into the mesh stuff sack, just to keep it all contained.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

atlas918
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by atlas918 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:52 am

I have a mesh sack for my water filter. Works great.
May your miles hiked be higher than your post count

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 am

I know this is a necrothread but I wonder if anybody has had any luck with the 'wet tarp drying' issue. I made mesh sacks for my last two diy tarps but the more I thought about it, the more I figured I still needed them opened up and spread out to dry or the folds, cracks, and crevices of the stuffed tarp would mold...
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 am

^^ Absolutly. The mesh skins just save weight. The very small surface area that is next to the mesh, could dry out, but probably not much. I shake mine out and roll up into the mesh skins. Then stuff that into the outer mesh pocket of my pack. So, it is actually under TWO mesh skins. So to fully dry out, deploy on a sunny day.
Call me Junior

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm

I switched from snakeskins to a cuben fiber bishop bag. Lighter and my newer tarps are all silpoly so they don't collect water like silnylon does. Within a few weeks all of my storage type bags (hammock, tarp, food, clothes, FAK, and cook kit) will be cuben fiber. Its easy to work with and incredibly light.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Backpacks & Other Gear”