bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Snake skins for a buck!

Post by bobamos » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Has anyone seen this video? He takes a loofah purchased for $1 and turns it into a skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_6oF125dWo

Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Snake skins for a buck!

Post by sarge » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Yah, that's an idea that's been around a while and keeps getting "discovered." That doesn't make it a bad idea, just not a new one. You do have to be careful which ones to get. After the first time I heard about it, I went to the dollar store and got one. Apparently the Chinese factory supplying that store isn't as generous with material as some of the others---turned out to be about 4 foot long---
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:56 pm

I tried it because I thought it was an insanely clever idea. Problem was, the plastic is a bit too fragile. I think you'd end up replacing it every third or fourth trip. Give it a shot though, it's a neat idea.

From trying this out I did discover that I prefer one long snakeskin as opposed to the traditional two. Been using the single snakeskin for over a year now for all my tarps, can't see ever switching. Good luck
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 am

Brian, I too have a single snake skin for my Hennessy and love it. Seems like it would be easier to deal with than the two piece.

Like you, I got one of these loofahs as it just seemed such an odd thing. Had to see if it will work on the spare tarp we have. Couldn't go wrong for a buck..
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:45 pm

+1 on trying this out; I didn't get very far before the whole thing ripped. If you have a very lightweight tarp, and are careful, I think it would work. Also, better materials on the loofah. (high end more $?)

Have fun with it :-)
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Just tried it out tonight using one we had lying around the house. Worked like a charm. My wife is going to sew channels in the ends so I can put draw cords on each end. It may have been an old idea, but it was new to me and a great way for me to get quick skins for my tarp.

Return to “Backpacks & Other Gear”