Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

DIY Kifaru Knock-Off

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I had some heavy duty fabric from a RBTR sample pack that I wasn't quite sure what to do with. At first I thought maybe a ground cloth, but the pieces of fabric I had were not quite big enough. Then I thought about making a knock off of the field chair by Kifaru and figured go for it.

I started with the heavier fabric. I wanted it as the seat so I squared the fabric up. I saw a post on the projects page of RBTR and they measured theirs 42" long and tapered from 15" at the bottom to 11" at the top. Sounded good to me so I set out cutting both pieces of fabric. After I had the edges to mate together pretty square I pinned them together leaving about an inch of fabric for the seam.

After I pinned the two pieces of fabric I found the centerline of the bottom part and then the CL of the top. I measured 6" on either side at the top allowing for an inch for the hemmed side and 8" either side of cl at the bottom allowing for the same inch for side hems.

Then I took some painters tape and stretched between the ends for the taper. I cut along both sides and removed the tape. A marker and straight edge would have worked as well, but it was black fabric and I did not have a marker.

With the fabric cut and the pieces pinned I started at the seam and did a large rolled hem seam and ran a couple of extra rows of stitching to reinforce.

Then I sewed the back pocket on the top and reinforced the corners with zig zag stitching leaving the bottom open for the trekking poles to go in.

Roll hemmed the remaining sides and BAM! I'll have pictures of it up in use once I find my trekking poles.

As you can tell from the pictures I suck at sewing, which is why I leave my tarps and fancy hammocks up to UGQ and Dream Hammock!ImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Last edited by Flynguy521 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Re: DIY Kifaru Knock-Off

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm

So I got to try it out at Tyler State Park when some family came down to visit. It takes some dialing in. The first time I was able to get positioned and sit comfortably for a while. When I got up to help around camp and came back to it. I could not get the same position dialed in and kept sliding back.

If I were to do it over again I would make the pocket for the trekking poles more box shaped so it left the material of the chair flat. ImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 am

Nice job, coming up with the little projects from scrap or leftovers is the best part of DIY.

For the tops on the back could you fold the corners in and stitch them as you would when making a stuff sack with a gusset bottom?

stim
Reactions:
Hammock: DH FreeBird
Tarp: HH Hex
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: GG Pad&JungleBlanket

Post by stim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 am

Awesome job!
I had thought about trying something like this previously but ended up scratching the idea. You might have just given me the motivation to actually try it out now. ;)

Return to “Backpacks & Other Gear”