Texas state flag hammock trap..Need some help/ideas please.

Rich S.
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Texas state flag hammock trap..Need some help/ideas please.

Post by Rich S. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Got an idea and need some help in making it happen.
Was thinking (yes, it is both dangerous and adult rated...) about how neat it would be to have a hammock tarp with the Texas flag on it, instead of some boring solid color.
Then realized the red, white, and blue could also be different neutral, natural colors, like tan, gray, and brown. Or perhaps in different types/colors of camaflogue....try to visualize the tarp.
Ok, this is roughly a winter DIY tarp:

And an outline of the Texas flag at same scale and to recognized proper proportions:

Combine the two...:

What would happen is one would only see half a flag...not happy with that.

So, if the flag is scaled back 50% and set on the tarp outline...:

Proportions are way off.
So guys and gals, youall got any suggestions on a method to do this that that would look good over a hammock in storm mode and with a porch?
Am scratching my head on this one...
Thanks.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Texas state flag hammock trap..Need some help/ideas please.

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 am

If you use the Membrane Sil-poly from Ripstop By The Roll, you won't have to do the catenary cuts at the edges, which will make the project a lot easier. There's also no real need for the diagonal cuts at the ends.

Cat cuts are introduced into the design of tarps due to the properties of Sil-nylon, which sags under certain conditions. The diagonal cuts at the ends simplify closing the ends, but aren't really necessary to do so. Sil-Poly was designed to address the issue, and all reports are that it does that well.

I'd build the flag using a piece of white the dimensions of the flag (plus seam allowance), then sew the red and blue fields together as a sub-assembly and apply the star to it, then sew the completed sub-assembly onto the tarp. This should limit the amount of seam sealing you'd have to do.

Don't let Don Proctor see that thing. He'll want it to go with his top quilt----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Tarps and Extensions”