Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

RBTR MEMBRANE silpoly tarp with doors on one end

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:29 pm

I didn't really need a new tarp, but I really wanted to try out this new fabric. I decided to build a tarp with doors on one side. I'll preface this by saying once I felt the fabric in my hands I got nervous about making this tarp. It's significantly thinner than the regular silpoly, and much much much stiffer than the membrane 66, which caught me off guard. This is probably due to the 2000mm HH rating :)

I started off with the diygearsupply.com winter tarp plans, but added a few inches to the ridgeline and removed one set of doors.

Since this fabric has a right and wrong side, I had to be careful with how I cut it. It's also pretty tough to tell the two sides apart. I decided cutting it the way in the following image resulted in the least amount of fabric waste.

So I laid out my fabric and got to marking and cutting. I decided against doing the catenary cuts so that saved a lot of time and frustration. I like using books to hold down the fabric while I do all of this stuff, and I just use the tape measure as my straight edge.

Let the sewing begin! First thing to do was to do a rolled hem around everything but the ridgeline. I was very impressed with the way this fabric handles in the machine. Making a very small rolled hem was a piece of cake, even along the bias.

For the ridgeline I did a flat felled/french seam hybrid, simply because I haven't used that on a tarp before. It's less fussy than a flat felled seam so I'll probably use this from now on. All that was left after that was to sew on all the tieouts! I don't use fabric reinforcement when I make my tarps. I just sew a 9 inch piece of grosgrain near the perimeter of the tarp folded over at the corner and sew my tieouts on to those. Image

This color is Dark Olive, and I like it a lot. When I first saw the fabric and was working on it insider the house it looked a lot greener than I was hoping for. Now that I have it hanging outside the dark brownish color I was wanting has appeared.

I might decide to add some panel pulls, but right now I don't think I need them. I can pitch the tarp pretty wide and still get good coverage by moving my hammock closer to the side with the doors.

This tarp has a much different sound to it than my silnylon tarps. It should be interesting in the rain. I'll report back with that information after I get it in some weather.

My scale isn't very precise, but it's showing that the tarp weighs about 13 ounces with guylines, which is the same as my smaller nylon hex without doors. I'm a happy guy.

gfstanley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RBTR MEMBRANE silpoly tarp with doors on one end

Post by gfstanley » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:48 pm

That's a great looking tarp!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Looks great.

I wonder how many DIY stories have started out with

"I didn't need another tarp, but------
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Nicely done! So, when do you start taking orders?

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:37 pm

I just got my tarp kit in the mail from RBTR. Same material, same color. I reacted similar when I felt the material. Hoping to do my build this weekend.

Yours looks great. Just curious, why no doors on both sides. I've never had a tarp with doors and I've been wrestling with whether to add them to this tarp or not. I've got paper cutouts on my desk of each I've been playing with. Hadn't thought about doors only on one side. Curious why you landed where you did.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:46 am

Great looking tarp! I'd love to make a new tarp, but I believe it's a little outside my skill set at this point in time.
I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 pm

brianb2 wrote:I just got my tarp kit in the mail from RBTR. Same material, same color. I reacted similar when I felt the material. Hoping to do my build this weekend.

Yours looks great. Just curious, why no doors on both sides. I've never had a tarp with doors and I've been wrestling with whether to add them to this tarp or not. I've got paper cutouts on my desk of each I've been playing with. Hadn't thought about doors only on one side. Curious why you landed where you did.

I can hang the hammock closer to the end with doors to get more protection, while still having one side open to make easy access in and out of the tarp. With doors on one side I get more room to lay out my stuff and it gives me a bigger area to live in I feel. If I lived in a place with much more severe/colder weather I might opt for doors on both sides, but I don't think the weight of the second set of doors (which also require more stakes/lines) is necessary for me. I also don't like waking up and seeing tarp all the way around me. I used this tarp a couple of nights ago and it rained the entire night. I felt completely secure from getting wet, but I still had a great view.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone :)

cholla28
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by cholla28 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Wondering how you store doors, and rig them up? I have a silpoly tarp with doors on one end and am trying to figure out what to do.

Spaceman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Spaceman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:00 pm

cholla28 wrote:Wondering how you store doors, and rig them up? I have a silpoly tarp with doors on one end and am trying to figure out what to do.
When both ends of the tarp have doors, I've seen them folded under and clipped to the door on the opposite end with shock cord, leaving both doors sitting tight to the underside of the tarp. You could do something similar here but clip the door to a center tie out at the doorless end of the tarp (a tie out between ridge line and ground tie out)

This photo is from Warbonnet Outdoors, showing doors pulled tight under the tarp.

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:06 pm

So far I've just staked the doors out, whether I need them or not. Since it is only one side, it's not like they really get in the way or restrict access. If I don't want any doors set up I'll just bring my hex tarp.

I could see sewing a loop off of the ridgeline to attach the doors to, though.

cholla28
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by cholla28 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I think I will clip doors using mitten hooks and shock cord to the opposite end ridgeline d ring.

Return to “Tarps and Extensions”