Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Table cloth hammock

Post by Rich S. » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Don't know, too many variables.
Some of the table cloth hammocks have reported flaws in the fabric that lead to their sudden demise.
When I checked into the table cloth material, the cost + shipping was over $20.
One can get extra wide, extra strength top notch hammock materials for 4 yards x $6/yard + $7.50 shipping, which is $31 dollars are so.
If your persons' weight is under 225 # or so, then thy offer regular width material at under $4/yd. That comes out to $23.50 for the material.
These prices reflect both Dutchware and ripstopbythe roll.
Your choice

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I would guess that if you use a good quality table cloth fabric it could hold over 300 lbs, more if double layer. Convert to ounces per yard and look up on chart at Dream Hammocks. One issue is that because the fabric isn't typically ripstop a small rip or puncture can run more easily therefore not ideal for camping IMO and basically what Rich said above. Even a poorly made hem with a borrowed sewing machine using some sort of ripstop fabric would probably be better, just my opinion but some people use them outdoors with no problems. I would keep it for indoor and porch and keep pets off.

PapaSmurf
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PapaSmurf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Here's a photo of 520lbs in a single layer. Taken back a few years ago when we first introduced the hammock world to the 2.6oz Poly Crinkle Taffeta hammocks. We use to rate this for about 300lbs, but we discontinued them after getting tired of sorting through the bad ones having thin spots and weaving flaws. The quality of these really went down fast a couple years ago. I slept in my old one just last night
520_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roesso
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roesso » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

I got one on the way I will check it out real good

Return to “Hammocks & Suspension”