GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Lightweight hammock / bug net brainstorming

Post by GregD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:33 am

A Dream Hammock Darian in 1 oz Robic with integrated bug net is listed by the maker as less than 1 lb, more than 1 lb. lighter than my current setup. That is one option that appeals to me for the weight savings.

A second option is to make a Darian clone. Fitting the bug net would probably double or more the amount of effort compared to a netless hammock.

A third option is to make a netless hammock and a Fronkey style bug net. This requires 7 yards of bug net rather than 4, but is very simple to do and the incremental weight is negligible.

A forth option is a netless hammock and a modified Fronkey style bug net. The bug net would be a rectangle, 3-1/2 yards long, 60" wide, sewn on 3 sides and a zipper with 2 sliders along 1 long side. I am thinking that such a bug net could also be used for ground sleeping with the addition of a ground tarp. It might be helpful to add a few small loops to the inside of my tarp as attachment points for net side pulls.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Lightweight hammock / bug net brainstorming

Post by sarge » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Another option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfMbhVmmdoY

You can also get a Hug Net from Arrowhead Equipment, but that hangs under the ridgeline. Use permethrin on your gear and clothing and wear trousers or use a light sleeping bag liner as a TQ when you sleep
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 pm

I 2nd Sarge's suggestion. If it was me, I would go with a DH Freebird in Robic, and then build a Half net system. As a matter of fact, I might need to place another order.......
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 am

I guess it really depends on how and where you camp. Here in Florida there are less than 3 months out of the year where bugs are not a concern. So to me an attached bug net is a no brainer. I made my own Hennessey style clone and adding the bug net wasn't all that hard. It is attached on one side and zippered on the other, like the darian if i am not mistaken.

A detachable net or separate net are nice, but i would end up using the net 90% + of the time. And with a half net i sleep alot of the time without a top quilt or blanket so that would not work for me. But that's just me and my situation. If bugs are not as big of a problem where you are the other options may be better.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Hammocks & Suspension”