Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: First DIY UQ Jungle Blanket - hand sewn

Post by Scott » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Still working out bugs. Just to be sure I have your report correct, 37-38* with just the jungle blanket as an UQ? I got to about 44 before getting cool. I will tighten it up a little more, make sure the ends are conforming. And go out tomorrow night, predicted low of 36. Oh, I also added a center suspension. Going from the middle of each long side over my ridgeline with a shock cord to be sure there is no side gap.

After Christmas (I have to wait for santa) I will be modifying a Costco throw to go with it. My goal is to get to 25 degrees. We had one campout last year that cold here. For some up north that is still fall camping. :shock: :lol:

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Yep. I've used it to 38 with a good base layer, as has Big Dawg, and one other person whom I can't remember. Kristi used it a few months ago at around 65, and my grand daughter and son have used them in North Texas December weather at about those same temps.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:18 pm

it is always good to have a reference. that way I know there is still room for improvement. It maybe that my shorts and t-shirt were not enough base layer.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Scott wrote:it is always good to have a reference. that way I know there is still room for improvement. It maybe that my shorts and t-shirt were not enough base layer.
Yah.

Each time was in the field in "camping attire." I think that might be one drawback of backyard testing---you tend to get into the backyard bed in the same clothes you would in the bedroom. Try it with your hiking clothes on.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:40 pm

I know there are reasons 'everyone' does things similarly, because they work. Sometimes I like to know more about the why the work.

On the UQ suspension, why is there a primary and a secondary. Why not just use end gathers, and then run those up to the ridgeline prussic? Couldn't they support the UQ AND hold it in place with upward pressure? Obviously there is an advantage to having both or the vendors would save time and material.

Also, does it make a difference on a really wide UQ like the blanket makes (about 60") compared to the more common UQ widths?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:40 pm

A lot of people would say that 60" is too wide for a UQ, many have folded the Jungle Blanket in half to get doulbe the insulation.

I'm one of those folks who prefer a wide UQ that comes up and wraps around me like a warm hug from my momma.

Wait till you see the suspension system on the SnugPak Underblanket I just got------
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:14 am

summary of my findings.
the jungle blanket is thin. set up as best I can, it is 45 degree. anything under that I need my sleeping bag zipped. under 40 I put in ccf pad with reflective side. got me to 35 (low for the night). still had sleeping bag zipped, vest, long sleeve t-shirt, socks, fleece pj bottoms. I slept straight from 2am when I put ccf in, until 7 when the sun woke me. not toasty, but good sleep.

as a side note, the little thermometer from Wal-Mart is not great. jumps around, and showed a low of 11 last night. maybe a new battery will help. I used weather app to track temps through the night.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Scott wrote:I figure at some point Austin is going to steal it, or want his own, so at least one more in my future. I will probably make his with standard suspension.
I perfer to call it borrowing, to make your equipment better. Now if you take a patented idea, that is another story. :D
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 am

I like your ideas and project tell us how your field trials went.

I am currently working on a DIY UQ with the idea of adding more layers of insulation in the form of Primaloft or just a Poncho liner up to thicker rectangular sleeping bags on top of basically an under quilt protector suspended by shock cord running through channels on all 4 sides of rip stop polyester ($3/yard on sale from Dutch, because it does not stretch as much as nylon and my sewing skills are fairly poor, I sort of need my mostly blind 85 year old mother there to tell me "put the presser foot down!" ha ha ha, mess when I forget that. Also I just pin and sew, no basting so it looks terrible, but functional. I think I sewed better when I was 12 years old. Now I'm 51 and going blind myself but I can still run a hem darn it!)

Anyway just need a thin breathable sheet to attach synthetic sheets of insulation to or put in slots then velcro up to seal, hold in place with plastic clips and gross grain loops. Not super light for long distance hiking (goose down better for that) but works for car camping, canoes trips, ATV, horseback, 4WD, Snow Machine in Canada etc. (i.e. dries faster for these applications/trips). Also gives me a sewing project to help keep me from forgetting all my sewing skills, like put the presser foot DOWN or it will be a mess to undo, ha ha ha. Gotta love it!

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 am

The clips did not work as intended. Not enough pressure to keep the UQ uq against me. If the pressure was increased, the clips popped off. The shock cord, or directly sewn on I think are the options I am finding. I was really hoping they would work.

Darts on the end of the UQ might increase effectiveness, but I think I have it pretty snug on the ends so when I am laying in it there are very little or no gaps.

I don't know why I did not get the range sarge did. Maybe a variance in the amount of insulation? Maybe there are gaps I don't see? By itself 45* is where I am comfortable taking it on its own. 50* is warm, 45* is like laying on cool ground, but not 'cold'...

My hammock adventure started last spring. I have determined that the most challenging, and important, part of the system is the under insulation. Easy enough to hang from a simple netless hammock. With inexpensive straps (though hardware makes it nicer). Use a sleeping bag for top. Use any tarp for cover. That gets you in the trees (backpacking is another issue). But the under insulation is most specific, and most critical in my opinion. I am not ready to do it yet, but there is a reason people pay premium prices for UQ. Without it you can't hang. Like trying to drive a car with no tires, just rims. It can be done, but not for long, not very well, and not very fun.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:29 pm

You're right about the bottom insulation. Hanging, suspension, tarps all have a little learning curve but that bottom insulation is the tricky part. I went through inflatable pads, CCF pads, wings, extenders, Insultex UQ, Climashield UQ and finally made myself some down quilts. There was a LOT of playing around with different lengths and different quilt suspensions before I finally found what's best for me. Torso length down UQ with a footpad, triangle UQ adapters and a lot of fiddling around to now know where and how it needs to hang to eliminate drafts.

Godspeed on your journey, friend.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:52 am

I'm one of the ones that folded it in half to make my UQ out of the jungle blanket. Lowest I've had it so far was between 34-36F. I was wearing a capilene 3 base layer, wool socks, wool beanie, and I was very warm. I added a secondary suspension on mine, too. I went to bed warm also.
viewtopic.php?p=2392#p2392

I haven't made a single layer one yet, but with the price of those blankets so reasonable, I probably will at some point. Hope some of that is helpful.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
This is my signature.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:38 pm

More testing tonight.

I converted a costco down throw to a 60x45 UQ. Narrow, but it was built to hang under the Jungle blanket (not the snugpak under blanket, the DIY version). I hang the jungle blanket, then under it hang the Costco throw a little asym as a 3/4 booster. I was impressed how much lost the throw has when condensing the down to the smaller size. Sleeping in that setup in a 60 degree room last night had me toasty. Tonight outside should get to mid 30's, a decent test. I also got my woot $16 walkabout tarp today, and a $43 chinook 12x9.6 from Amazon. Since it should be clear, I am hanging the walkabout. It actually covers a little better than I expected on my 11.5' hammock. Any real rain and I am hosed, but for fair weather, drizzle, fog, I think it will work really well. The chinook looks huge compared to the yukon. I can build a 4 wall tent with that thing. :-)

Reports tomorrow. maybe even some pictures

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 pm

I'd suggest putting the down quilt between you and the Jungle blanket, and snugging the JB justtight enough so that the down quilt maintains loft. I'm worried that the JB wonlt allow enough warm air into the down quilt to be effective.
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 pm

:mrgreen: Sounds like two tests are needed. Darn, another night in the hammock.

Return to “Insulation”