Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

First DIY UQ Jungle Blanket - hand sewn

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 am

I have joined the cool kids and now have an UnderQuilt. 8-)

1 - Jungle Blanket - $34.95 Amazon Prime
6 - small parachute buckles from Hobby Lobby - $1.99
4 - cord locks - $1.99
small shock cord (bigger would be better) - $1.99
3/8" elastic (bigger shock cord would be cooler) - Free - Stole from my wife's sewing cabinet
Couple hours watching Football and hand stitching - Priceless ( yeah, I just combined football and sewing! ;) )
Total cost - $40.92

First I hand sewed a clip at each corner of the blanket, and one in the center on each long side.
Then I sewed the other side of the clip to the edge of my hammock
If using a thread injector, I would have had a short piece of webbing through the buckle, and run a stitch to the blanket or hammock. I don't sew, and my wife was gone for the evening, so I hand sewed the buckles like you would a button. It worked well.

I opened up a small hole in the very corner of each side of the blanket where the seem is tucked into itself (I don't expect any tearing here), and ran the thin shock cord or elastic, to the other corner, under the outer shell, and back out the other end. On one end it is tied to the buckle, on the other end it is in a cord lock.
I put buckles in the center because that way in the middle of the night when getting back in, I can grab the buckle and know the hammock is under me, not just the UQ.

The blanket is the same width as my hammock, so that worked out well for sizing. It ends right at my feet, and goes several inches past my head, so it has full coverage. Once it's clipped onto the hammock, I can pull the side cords shorter, which brings the blanket up to the bottom of the hammock and give pressure to the sides to remove gaps as needed. The ends just cinch up like any other UQ. There is no cord or suspension past the blanket, it stops at the clips. It would have been quicker to just run the cords, not sew buckles, and make a traditional suspension. I would have been more concerned about tearing at the holes I made in the seams though, because on mine the buckle holds the pressure, if no buckle, the hole in the seam would carry the load. There is plenty of room to lower the blanket a little and add additional insulation between the hammock and the blanket for lower temps with no risk of compressing either.

The down side is it is for this hammock only, unless I add clips to another hammock.

I will be sleeping in it for the next few nights to test it. Austin modeled it, and said it warmed up REAL fast.

small 'Parachute Buckle'

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: First DIY UQ Jungle Blanket - hand sewn

Post by GoatHanger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 am

Nice! I like what you did with the buckles. I like the combination of football and seeing, too.

Wait though.... making an UQ makes you cool? I'll have to tell that to my girlfriend, she still thinks I'm a nerd.
This is my signature.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 am

What I especially love about this is the optimism expressed by "First DIY UQ---"
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I figure at some point Austin is going to steal it, or want his own, so at least one more in my future. I will probably make his with standard suspension.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:35 am

tested it to 45 last night.

I ended up putting a regular suspension on it because the clips did not allow for adjustment. once I find the sweep spot, I might move the clips.

It got cool once it hit 50. I did not have it tight against the hammock, so by the time it got to 45 I was feeling the cold from under, but because I had a big sleeping bag on top, I was able to tuck it under my sides, and slept OK. If in the woods, I would have been fine.

Next test will have the suspension tighter so it will not have a 2" gap under by body, and I will have my wife run some darts on each end to take up some of the sag there.

Step 2 will be to add a layer of costco down throw to extend the range.

As an aside, I have an 8x10 tarp pitched 'diamond'. I did not have it centered, but it did cover my feet by a few inches. We got fog during the night and the foot end of my UQ was wet. Head end not. Need to center the tarp.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:39 am

Getting any UQ to snug up against the hammock is the key. You're heating the air underneath you with your body and unless it has some kind of insulation to trap it, you're going to be cold until it all heats up to you're body temp. You're trying to heat about 8500 cubic inches of air with your body if you have 2" between you and the quilt.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:41 am

OK Sarge - a little help if you please. I read where you took this blanket to 38 degrees? How did you have it setup to get there?

Last night was 48 (measured at the ridgeline under a tarp, so maybe a tick or two lower at ground level? I got cold shoulder under 50. I slept fine, warmer would be better, but again, I would have been fine in the woods, but not much lower.

My setup:
single layer. 70+ long, 60ish wide. shock cord along sides to a biner on the suspension, fairly tight (I don't think it was too tight against me though). Sides come up well past hammock.
Ends - cinched just tight enough where they come to the edge of the hammock, kinda hugging it. Then from the corner of the ends I have a thin shock cord going to the same biner on the suspension to keep the UQ stretched out.

I think that the extra fabric at the ends is sagging just a little, so tonight it will get darts on both ends to get it snug up against me.

I will fiddle and work with it until I get it dialed in to optimal temp, but if I had to do it again, I think I would just get the snugpak Under Blanket for $60 from Amazon Prime. By the time I get the shock cord, cord locks, take the time to sew and fiddle, I think that would be a much better option.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:00 am

Great job! I like the clip idea too. Maybe some stronger shock cord for the suspension to help hold it tighter against your body...
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:20 am

thanks. I am currently not using the clips, I went to a full suspension. I think the clips made small gaps on the side, and it did not allow me to adjust it. The UQ is pretty wide, and that hammock and UQ worked against each other a little bit. Once I have it dialed in with the full suspension, I might work with the clips again to see if I can hold it there without the extra lines to the main hammock suspension.

I would love to get it to 40 degrees as is, that would cover 90% of my hanging, then I could add to it with pad, down throw, whatever, if I had to take it lower on occasion.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 am

Scott wrote:OK Sarge - a little help if you please. I read where you took this blanket to 38 degrees? How did you have it setup to get there?

Last night was 48 (measured at the ridgeline under a tarp, so maybe a tick or two lower at ground level? I got cold shoulder under 50. I slept fine, warmer would be better, but again, I would have been fine in the woods, but not much lower.

My setup:
single layer. 70+ long, 60ish wide. shock cord along sides to a biner on the suspension, fairly tight (I don't think it was too tight against me though). Sides come up well past hammock.
Ends - cinched just tight enough where they come to the edge of the hammock, kinda hugging it. Then from the corner of the ends I have a thin shock cord going to the same biner on the suspension to keep the UQ stretched out.

I think that the extra fabric at the ends is sagging just a little, so tonight it will get darts on both ends to get it snug up against me.

I will fiddle and work with it until I get it dialed in to optimal temp, but if I had to do it again, I think I would just get the snugpak Under Blanket for $60 from Amazon Prime. By the time I get the shock cord, cord locks, take the time to sew and fiddle, I think that would be a much better option.
Take a look at how the Costco UQ is rigged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18xqj5ZKF0c
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 am

I have it pretty much like that, except my secondary goes to the end of the hammock not the ridgeline. Does taking it to the ridgeline make it that much of a difference? I will try it before sewing the darts, so I am only making one change at a time.

Tonight expected 49 again, nice the temp is holding steady for my tests. :-)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 am

Scott wrote:I have it pretty much like that, except my secondary goes to the end of the hammock not the ridgeline. Does taking it to the ridgeline make it that much of a difference? I will try it before sewing the darts, so I am only making one change at a time.

Tonight expected 49 again, nice the temp is holding steady for my tests. :-)
Yah, I think it will. I used to go to the end of the hammock, but then I watched Derek Hansen rig a guy's UQ (IIRC it was a JB UQ that I had loaned out) with a paper clip on a prusik at the ridgeline and the end cords tied to it at last November's Hang and changed my ways. That was when I came up with the Micro S biner on a prusik arrangement.

Prior to that all my UQs were 7'-0" long and 5'-0 wide and the length probably made up for the way it was hung.
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:06 am

Awesome. I will report back tomorrow...

As a side note, it was funny to watch my dogs this morning. They sleep inside, and my wife put them out about 10 minutes before I got up. When I made noise under my tarp, they went nutz, they had no idea I was there. I was a little worried about the coyotes chirping away down the hill all night though.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 am

last night went better. only down to 52 tho. Moving the secondary suspension to the ridgeline for an almost vertical pull instead of going to the end of the hammock seemed to seal up any gaps at the ends. Now it is just wait for cooler weather to see how low I can take it before needing additional insulation.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 am

Glad its working out.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”