Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: First DIY UQ Jungle Blanket - hand sewn

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:44 am

All went well last night. Granted it is not cold like the great white north, but for the gulf coast, it is a decent test. I took Sarge's advice and put the down between the jungle blanket and the hammock. Temps got to about 35 not counting any reduction by a slight breeze. I know Sarge got his Jungle Blanket UQ to 38 with no extra, but my tests did not get me there, so I added the throw. To quote my wife "I have been trying to wake you up for a half hour :x , so I guess you were not cold!!". She tried calling to me from the deck, and ended up having to walk out and shake the hammock. :roll: My guess is this setup will take me at least to freezing. Waiting for the temps to drop into the 20's later this winter to see just how far I can go with it.

Clothes - fleece 'lounge pants' (PJ bottoms), long sleeve t-shirt, light cotton vest, no socks.
Top - 0 degree sleeping bag open used as a TQ. since I was testing the underinsulation, I wanted to be sure the top did not factor into my cold.

All the yellow shock cord and ridgeline tighten up when I get in the hammock. The pictures make the angles look weird, but it works in practice.
. Jungle blanket moved, out of the way to show the modified Costco throw.

Being that I am not a narrow guy, or a short guy, with broad shoulders regardless of the size of my waist, I don't think I would be comfortable with just a 3/4 standard UQ. Because of how I had it rigged, the throw shifted a time or two during the night, but even at ideal placement, any movement on my part would have me exposed. Since it was a booster, it was less critical. So I will use the Jungle Blanket as primary, and the throw as added when needed

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:12 am

Scott wrote:I have joined the cool kids and now have an UnderQuilt. 8-)

1 - Jungle Blanket - $34.95 Amazon Prime
6 - small parachute buckles from Hobby Lobby - $1.99
4 - cord locks - $1.99
small shock cord (bigger would be better) - $1.99
3/8" elastic (bigger shock cord would be cooler) - Free - Stole from my wife's sewing cabinet
Couple hours watching Football and hand stitching - Priceless ( yeah, I just combined football and sewing! ;) )
Total cost - $40.92

Ok starting to price out my underquilt which will go under my ENO Double nest set. I have a wool blanket which will go under me as well. What sice should I get for sock cord??? Thinking 3/16 or 1/4 inch what say you.

Unfortunately my jungle blanket is going to be roughly $50 :(

My top quilt will be a 3 season sleeping bag for now.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:04 am

I get my shock cord from Paracord Planet in the 1/8" size:

http://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord/ ... stic-cord/

I'd go ahead and buy 100 feet. MYOG gets addicting and there's lots of shock cord used.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I want to adjust my UQ system a little and make it modular using the snaps.
If I start with the jungle blanket, then snap in a full costco throw (probably with the seams ripped one direction to get more loft), then snap in my costco quilt modified to 45x60 as a booster - how low do you think I could get for temps? I probably won't get to it for a little while to construct it, and definitely won't be able to test until deeper into the winter. It would not be ultra light, but it would be modular.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 am

Good project!

If you're going to the Fairfield Hang, let me know, I have a pretty large roll of heavier shock cord I can give you what you need. Got to keep that DIY cost down :-)

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Return to “Insulation”