Rmil
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD Tree Runner
Tarp: 10x10
Suspension: speed hooks
Insulation: Modified OV

Underquilt DIY assistance

Post by Rmil » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:57 am

Being new I was looking at budget friendly options for an underquilt, and had about convinced myself to DIY the cosco throws into an underquilt (I'm in SE Texas so a 0 degree bag seems overkill to me). One of the options I looked at was the outdoor vitals 40' bag....here's the catch, I'd decided to DIY, then was gifted an OV 40, should I still DIY the cosco underquilt, or would the OV be enough as is, or potentially add a throw to the inside of the OV? Lots of options leaving me hesitant to proceed, experienced advice appreciated.

I DID try the OV underquilt, and while it seems sufficient (to a novice) it's been in the 70-80 degree range lately, and waiting for cold weather to test the differences might take longer than I have patience for (DIY wants to DO and BUILD)

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking - George S Patton

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Underquilt DIY assistance

Post by sarge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Rmil wrote:Being new I was looking at budget friendly options for an underquilt, and had about convinced myself to DIY the cosco throws into an underquilt (I'm in SE Texas so a 0 degree bag seems overkill to me). One of the options I looked at was the outdoor vitals 40' bag....here's the catch, I'd decided to DIY, then was gifted an OV 40, should I still DIY the cosco underquilt, or would the OV be enough as is, or potentially add a throw to the inside of the OV? Lots of options leaving me hesitant to proceed, experienced advice appreciated.

I DID try the OV underquilt, and while it seems sufficient (to a novice) it's been in the 70-80 degree range lately, and waiting for cold weather to test the differences might take longer than I have patience for (DIY wants to DO and BUILD)
The principal disadvantage to the OV UQ is that it sags a bit too much in the middle. That means your body has to heat the air in that cavity before it can heat the air inside the insulated space between the outer layers of the UQ. If you watch my video on the OV Quilt, I think that the suspension I show there will work, especially on shorter hammocks, but it will take a good deal of fiddling with it. The quilt needs to be snug up agains the hammock without being so tight that the insulation is compressed between the layers when you get in.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:36 pm

FWIW;

You might also alleviate that somewhat, and increase your quilt rating at the same time, by using a Costco quilt as a snap in "booster". Follow the instructions here, making beleive that the OV quilt is the first Costco quilt, then build the booster and snap it in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWay_n ... 37tj0&t=2s

What you would be doing is adding 2" of down loft to the OV UQ which might go a long way to filling that space in the "saggy" area.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Rmil
Reactions:

Post by Rmil » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks Sarge! I was thinking along those exact lines, but always good to get opinions from those more knowledgeable....watching your video was what gave me the initial idea....

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Glad to help. Thanks for watching!
My You Tube Channel

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 am

Another point of view: never let an adequate or even good piece of gear get in the way of a DIY project. =)

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:27 am

johnspenn wrote:Another point of view: never let an adequate or even good piece of gear get in the way of a DIY project. =)
Now thats funny :lol: :lol:
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Rmil
Reactions:

Post by Rmil » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 am

johnspenn wrote:Another point of view: never let an adequate or even good piece of gear get in the way of a DIY project. =)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Insulation”