BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Any one here have a clew?

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:16 am

I have been discussing "design" a lot over in the OT threads, but it has now occurred to me I need to ask a question about intelligent(hopefully) design relative to UQs. Has this already been discussed here regarding UQs? I do see a thread discussing it regarding Mayan hammock suspension design, but how about UQs? Has anyone used this yet?

I saw this over at another forum, as a mod for UQ suspensions. I have been thinking about giving it a try myself. I have no idea what "clew" means, but it seems to refer in changing an UQ suspension from the ones that are common now(full surround shock cord, or a shock cord connection to lt and rt corners only) to one similar to what is seen on Mayan hammocks and occasionally other style hammocks. I.E., rather than a cord coming from each corner, multiple cords, maybe 8 or more, from each end of the UQ to the hammock connection point. Multiple cords spaced an inch or two apart going from one corner to the next and multiple points in between.

Some are claiming significant advantages in being able to keep an UQ snugged up to all parts of the hammock with way fewer cold spot problems. So has anyone here tried this? And for that matter, is there any advantage to this type of suspension for the hammock itself? Would this be an example of intelligent design ;) , or not?

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Re: Any one here have a clew?

Post by kev137 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:54 pm

I saw that as well and was wondering the same things. Looks like a lot of work, and would totaly suck if it did not work. In theory it looks As if it would work well, but who knows.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Check this out:
https://jellyfishreport.blogspot.com/20 ... r-box.html

She has good instructions for making the clew underquilt suspension, elaborating more from this page:
http://www.leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html

I'll be giving this a try, at least with a climashield but probably not with the elaborate side boxes in the first post. She does have a great video, and links also to Derek Hansen's video, on how to weave this thing. She also has some ideas to keep it from getting tangled up.

When I get a good pot of coffee going and can get a clue to get motivated(Turn off the internet!) I'll start my build. I plan to still have the side shock cords for the suspension, but to do the clew on the ends.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 pm

gmcpcs wrote:Check this out:
https://jellyfishreport.blogspot.com/20 ... r-box.html

She has good instructions for making the clew underquilt suspension, elaborating more from this page:
http://www.leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html

I'll be giving this a try, at least with a climashield but probably not with the elaborate side boxes in the first post. She does have a great video, and links also to Derek Hansen's video, on how to weave this thing. She also has some ideas to keep it from getting tangled up.

When I get a good pot of coffee going and can get a clue to get motivated(Turn off the internet!) I'll start my build. I plan to still have the side shock cords for the suspension, but to do the clew on the ends.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
I am looking forward to reading your results. This has got me thinking about how my experiences with a Speer PeaPod was always 100% successful, and always easy to accomplish with no endless fiddle factor regarding adjustment, at least as far as back warmth at or above rated temps. Top warmth could be a little trickier due to the raising of the top layer by the top edge of the hammock and depending on width of the hammock, though in the end was still always superior to- or at least less drafty than- regular TQs, especially once one learned to avoid or correct for that lifting. So the learning curve was for the top. But on the bottom it was about the most fool proof set up I ever used.

What does that have to do with this thread's subject? Well, it was supported in a manner far superior to any UQ I have used, in several different ways, One of those ways might ( maybe?) be related to this clew business. These advantages were:
1: UQ section draped over the edges of and then (as it became the top section) draped down into the hammock. This helped keep the UQ raised to contact both back and sides, supported full length by the edge of the hammock. Think of some of the methods that have been invented to support UQs along their edges. In addition, the draping over the edges(along with cinching down tight on the ends) pretty much stopped any ability of cold air to sink down under your back.
2: The full length Velcro closure also supported the UQ section
3: Since the nylon cord(not elastic/shock) suspension went through a channel on the ends, cinching the pod closed all the way around and then attaching to the hammock suspension, I'm thinking perhaps the quilt, top as well as bottom, was effectively suspended on the ends at pretty much all points. Do Y'all think that is correct? It is this aspect of it that got me wondering if it could have had some of the benefits of this clew deal. Although, I seem to remember it did drop away some what around the legs on the left side if I had my feet diagonal to the right. I even thought about doing a mod with grip clips and a piece of shock cord to snug it up better on that side near the left leg. But I never got around to bothering, since for whatever reason I never felt any cold spots any where.

So anyway, it got me wondering if one of the reasons the pod worked so well for me was the end suspension, and if that benefit was in any way related to this clew business, even though the clew support is spread out across a rather wide area, with multiple points of support across this width. While the pod is cinched down to a small area. But still the support, I think, would be across a wide area, which would be apparent if it was not cinched down.

Oh well, probably just my mind wandering out of control, probably no real relationship, or if there was it might be overwhelmed by the other factors mentioned. Regardless, I will be watching for your results, or anyone else's.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 pm

I busted my sewing machine, so it's in the shop. $50 deposit, DIY ain't so cheap!
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

gmcpcs wrote:I busted my sewing machine, so it's in the shop. $50 deposit, DIY ain't so cheap!
Oh no! I need a clew test! And it can't happen if DIY folks can not DIY!

Bigryn0
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Bigryn0 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm

I did this. Saw jellyfish on Hammock forum. It really came together nicely.

ImageImage

Hung in it the night after, temp was down to 37 with 10 mph wind. No cold spots and the UQ was snug under my butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 am

Bigryn0 wrote:I did this. Saw jellyfish on Hammock forum. It really came together nicely.

ImageImage

Hung in it the night after, temp was down to 37 with 10 mph wind. No cold spots and the UQ was snug under my butt!

Great! I suppose this was changed from or added to an existing quit with a more traditional suspension? If so, by comparison, ar you finding this to be an improvement worth the effort involved?

I wonder how such a mod might work with a bridge hammock?

Bigryn0
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Bigryn0 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am

Here's the original post...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... ost1720807

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am

I am also wondering if attaching each suspension point just a very small amount in towards the inner shell might simulate a differential cut, and if so, would their be nay problems with doing that? Like weakened connection or less durability?

Bigryn0
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Bigryn0 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am

Read that original post. Leiavoia did some calculations on different tie points and such.

Blog post here. http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html

The research is very thorough, I just capitalized on there efforts. I used string to make my clew and about 6 inches of shock because I didn't have alot of shock cord. The quilt is an overstuffed Costco quilt that I'm thinking is a 20degree with the amount of down.
I attached the grosgrain loops and just tied the SC (shock cord) in a loop. Check your calculations with leiavoia's numbers as they are true. And one point I will say made sense...
" If your clew is made like crap then your setup is going to hang like crap."

I'm not the original creator just an admirer that put my own spin on it.

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Bigryn0 wrote:Read that original post. Leiavoia did some calculations on different tie points and such.

The research is very thorough, I just capitalized on there efforts. I used string to make my clew and about 6 inches of shock because I didn't have alot of shock cord. The quilt is an overstuffed Costco quilt that I'm thinking is a 20degree with the amount of down.
I attached the grosgrain loops and just tied the SC (shock cord) in a loop. Check your calculations with leiavoia's numbers as they are true. And one point I will say made sense...

I have read it, in fact it was the stimulus for me starting this thread. I may skim back through it, but I don't recall if there was any discussion of differential cuts. I am big fan of those in UQs, so you can pull as tight as needed with little worry of compressing loft. Of course, id doing this mod on an UQ that already has a dif cut, there should be no issues as long as the force from the cords is pulling mostly on the same surface as the original dif cut quilt, which would effectively be the inner shell layer which is cut smaller than the outer layer.

But while I got to thinking about adding these multiple attachment points for the clew, that also got me to wondering if I added them just inside the end seam, if that would work sort of like a dif cut. Since the tension forces would only be applied to the inner layer. A faux dif cut IOW. Any one have an opinion if that would work? I realize this is a different topic than a CLEW, but if i am going to make such a mod I would like to take this into consideration at the same time.

Also, Big R, did you find this to work better than- to be an improvement on - your previous more traditional suspension?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Bigryn0 wrote:Read that original post. Leiavoia did some calculations on different tie points and such.

That right there is what I think I might need to make my Speer Snugfit clone.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 pm

I am making an underquilt now and find this really interesting. However, I don't know that I will be able to use it with mine because it is a partial length UQ.

Does this negate the need for shaping the UQ with darts? The website says "retrofit any existing underquilt" so maybe it doesn't matter. But it seems this would work better with a rectangular shaped quilt. That could be another plus.

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:01 am

Mophead wrote:I am making an underquilt now and find this really interesting. However, I don't know that I will be able to use it with mine because it is a partial length UQ.

Does this negate the need for shaping the UQ with darts? The website says "retrofit any existing underquilt" so maybe it doesn't matter. But it seems this would work better with a rectangular shaped quilt. That could be another plus.
I had not thought of possible issues with partial length UQs, where traditionally my right leg goes underneath the right side suspension(when laying diagonal/ feet right). Interesting question.

But just yesterday I was experimenting with my original 8 year old Yeti- the one that had multiple/removable layers of Climashield - on a Claytor no net hammock( still, absolutely, one of my fav hammocks, maybe the fav, even without a PeaPod for which it was perfect). And on the previous colder days(it is incredibly warm right now) I had been testing it on my JRB BMBH UL.

I have added a secondary suspension on it. Even though I started this thread, I am wondering how much I can actually improve things by adding this CLEW suspension. I suppose it would provide more support in the middle than I have now, but as far as I could tell it was very snug all along my back and butt and left side with me on the foot right diagonal. Here is a test I have done for years. I cross my arms and grab the left edge of the UQ with Rt. hand, rt. side with left hand, and lift up. That way I can quicly tell how snug it is, or is not. I don't htink this quilt could have been any more snug at my shoulder, back, butt or upper thigh. Seemed to be about as snug when I was on my side. Being a short quilt, it doesn't cover any more than that. And I didn't even have the suspension pulled all that tight, but it was very snug at all pints that would need an UQ. Seemed to be about the same when I laid on my side.

My question would be: can I really improve on this by changing the suspension? With 3 layers of CS installed, about 9 oz/sq./yd. and 9 oz total my back was really heating up since it was not cold. Still, that amount of heat radiating back towards me probably indicates I would have been just fine in some very cold temps. I have never really put this UQ to the test, since about the same time I got it, I was into the Speer PeaPod. My son effectively became it's main user, and on his first ever hammock hang, with 3 layers in, slept warm with no problems for a week in 20s in the WY mountains. And Y'all know how common it is for beginners to have trouble with UQs, based on what must be dozens of threads at other forums. (not sure if we have had such threads here or not) So this suspension must be pretty easy to master.

Maybe this suspension mod will be more valuable with full length quilts.

Return to “Insulation”