sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

The Improved Costco Underquilt.

Post by sarge » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 am

We're going to address the major drawback to the Costco Down Throw Blanket: its sewn thru construction. We're going to use additional fabric and a differential cut. We're going to start thinking about this blanket not as a quilt, but as a sheet of insulation. The goal is to emphasize its advantages and minimize its drawbacks to achieve the construction of an underquilt with 3" of loft for under $80.00.

There seems to be a lot of folks going to a lot of work removing stitching from the Costco quilt in an effort to increase loft and being dissapointed with the results. Here I explain why that happens and how to fix the problem with a lot less work. I also show off a pattern made for HammockHangers.net by RSBTR's Outdoor Ink.

Here's the link to the DIY Gear Supply pattern for the Insultex Underquilt: http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/upl ... lowres.jpg

Here's another from Gear Report: http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a-di ... mping-myog

The camoflage generator Scuba used to design the camo pattern is here: http://www.happyponyland.net/camogen.php

This is Part 1. Part 2 will be posted below this in a few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8VfiT6BnTI

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bodhran4me
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The Improved Costco Underquilt.

Post by bodhran4me » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:17 am

Once again,
Sarge is The Man
With a Sewing Plan !

I like where this is headed. I had been wondering how to offset the baffles to eliminate the sewn through issue, and then here comes Sarge!

Thanks for another great tutorial.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:37 am

bodhran4me wrote:Once again,
Sarge is The Man
With a Sewing Plan !

I like where this is headed. I had been wondering how to offset the baffles to eliminate the sewn through issue, and then here comes Sarge!

Thanks for another great tutorial.
Thanks for watching!

I see a lot of folks going to a lot of trouble removing stitching to get 2-3" of loft only to complain that they can't get below 40 because of the sewn thru stitch lines. I also see folks doing "faux baffles" by removing a row of stitching, then folding them over about an inch on the remaining stitches to remove the sewn thru problem, and create a differential at the same time. That method has promise and should work OK, but for an extra twenny bux and half as much time and effort, you can get a longer quilt with the same result, and for twenny bux more you can get about 3" of loft and get down to below 30.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am

To give credit where credit us due, the camo pattern was created by me AND Randy at DreamHammock, his daughter then generated the vector file, and Justin did the watermarking.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Insulation”