neslog
Reactions:
Hammock: Kryptek
Tarp: DIY SilPoly
Suspension: Whoopie
Insulation: ENO Blaze

Fleece shell for Costco Underquilt

Post by neslog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

My lovely wife picked up one of these throws last year and it's been great. But like many others i'm running into the lower limits and need to extend range a bit. I picked up 2 fleece throws that were on clearance for $1 each at CVS. Yeah, of all places CVS. I took the basic 3D foot box top quilt pattern and applied it to fleece.

The fleece top quilt shell turned out to be 24.7oz, a bit heavy but it does a great job of stopping wind from steeling my warmth and is still very breathable. So far it's extended my Costco TQ an additional 7 degrees and I believe it may extend a total of 15 but I've not been able to test it out yet. Honestly, I'm just now getting into the experimenting phase of the hammock camping and now need to get a real thermometer that I can read in the middle of the night and a notebook for jotting down temps.

I'm enjoying the DIY phase. I went out running last week in the cold temps and decided I need to get a good pair of wind breaker mits. That's next on my list!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Fleece shell for Costco Underquilt

Post by sarge » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:18 pm

For the price, it can't be beat.

Absent the pocket change price, the next best thing is another Costco quilt.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”