ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Costco TQ Temperature Estimate

Post by ADVStrom14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Realizing that everyone handles cold differently and that it's hard to nail something down, can someone give me an estimate on what I should realistically expect to get out of a Costco down throw temperature wise? It might be a better question to ask what is the lowest temperature anyone has taken them so far?

I have sewn 2 of the quilts with the idea of layering them along with a base layer of clothing. I also have a 3 season KAQ UQ from Arrowhead Equipment which is rated to approximately 25*. I am just wondering if I need to go ahead and get a true cold weather top quilt for the trip in December to the Smokies where the December average low is about 21-25.

Thanks!

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Costco TQ Temperature Estimate

Post by hikehunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

I made a single layer TQ and have used it down to 39 F. I had a mid weight long underwear. 20 F UQ by UGQ. Worked good for me. Felt like I could maybe take it down to about 34 or 35 F. Good luck.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Re: Costco TQ Temperature Estimate

Post by ADVStrom14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:10 pm

OK that's good. So if I have two it would stand to reason I could take it down to where I am headed. Thanks for the info!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Return to “Insulation”