pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Need feedback on underquilt ideal

Post by pistal44 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 am

I made a no sow underquilt out of a Costco down throw basically following Sarge's video. It's just one layer right now. I installed male snaps all the way around for my version of phase 2 on it. My plan is to make a modular system with possibly 3 layers that can be snapped on as needed with all layers being full size, not folded in half. I know I need to stagger the quilted seems in the body. My sticking point right now is should I attach each inside layer a little bit shorter than the last making a deferential cut type of setup. Hopefully I worded that right. I think I read somewhere that there is around 3"-4" difference between the inside and outside shells of a good underquilt. 3"-4" seems like a lot to me. My thinking on the second layer goes like this. Outside layer camsnaps located at 60" x 50" after making suspension channels. I add camsnaps to 2nd throw right along the edge. That should give me about 2" of slack on second/inside layer. Then third/inside layer should get another 2" of slack. It makes since in my head but that's not saying much. Am I on the right track with my thinking?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Need feedback on underquilt ideal

Post by sarge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:02 am

It just so happens that I'm doing a video on that right now. I've done all the shooting for the first part and am in the middle of editing right now.

Good news: Its doable

Bad News: you may need to re-do your quilt.

The basic pattern is here:

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/upl ... lowres.jpg
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 am

That pattern is for a sewn version, but you've got me thinking about a "no sew" version as well-----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by pistal44 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:30 am

That link was interesting. It looks like there differential cut sizing just affects the width but not the length. I was thinking length would be the biggest issue. Time for more homework.

Looking forward to seeing your video. It helps watching someone that knows the in's and out's explain things in a way that even I can understand. Lol.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:56 am

pistal44 wrote:That link was interesting. It looks like there differential cut sizing just affects the width but not the length. I was thinking length would be the biggest issue. Time for more homework.

Looking forward to seeing your video. It helps watching someone that knows the in's and out's explain things in a way that even I can understand. Lol.

We'll see when I get to part 2. The difference between Insulatex and the down blanket is thickness and bulk. IX is basically a sheet of material abvout 1/4" thick. The CDT has 1" of loft and ther might be some serious bunching up.

Its gonna take me a while to edit the first part (the "main quilt") before I can start on Part 2, which is the boosters.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”