Mbal1856
Reactions:
Hammock: Yukon Double
Tarp: DIY RSBTR winter
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: DIY MYG UQ

Jumped on the Costco train

Post by Mbal1856 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:20 am

So last week I received my two pack of Costco down throws. Was able to use my mom's membership, and just have it shipped to my house. So the first throw, I followed an imgur link http://imgur.com/gallery/kOXYm on how to sew up a TQ. Came out great. Plenty of room in the foot box and being 5'10" tall, the TQ goes from my feet to the top of my head. Although after putting a seam the length of the quilt to cut off two squares worth off the 70" length and cutting it, I don't think I'll ever do a DiY down project. Even in that 1/2" space between the factory seam and my seam, cutting it, down gets everywhere. Weight of the TQ when completed was 15.9oz including the stuff sack

Now for the second quilt, I'm thinking of making a convertible TQ/UQ. Here is my idea, don't know if it has already been posted somewhere. I have a synthetic DIY UQ that I made from MYG. Don't know how low it will go since I just made it this year. Had it down to 47 so far and after that night, I think I have plenty more to go in the lower temps. I plan on making channels out of left over material from my MYG UQ on the four sides, of the second Costco throw and add some shock cord. Now I have a summer UQ. When I add the channels, sew on some velcro strips on the bottom third, so I can make a footbox that can be opened up. That way in the cooler temps I can double up the two down throws and use my other UQ, in the fall and early spring, and in the summer use only the 2 costco TQ/UQ

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Re: Jumped on the Costco train

Post by brianb2 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Yeah, the Costco Down Throws (CDT) are great and make building gear that much easier. That's a good looking TQ. I've got a family of 4 and made all of our gear. We do mostly backpacking, so the weight matters. The CDTs have made it much easier and affordable to make sure everyone is outfitted. There's some great tips out there on how to work with down. The most effective one I've learned is to add an extension to your shop vac with some noseeum between the vac and the extension. I went to the lighting section in home depot where they sell fluorescent lights and bought clear tubular light protectors. They are basically a clear plastic tube. I cut it down and that's what I use as an extension. Tape off how much down you want to put in your quilt and it's fairly painless. Made my first UQ from an old down comforter. First baffle I didn't use this trip. Down explosion. Did the research and won't ever not use it going forward.

I don't quite understand your idea for your convertible TQ/UQ. Probably just me. I've got a CDT underquilt I've been using for about a year and a half that's worked well for me. I need to take a moment and write it up or make a video. I just never seem to get around to doing it. I got a bunch of ideas from Sgt Rock and also Bonefire Gear and I merged the two together.

Anyway, congrats and nice work.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:33 am

Here's a suggestion for you that might give you some ideas:

These are for a "No Sew Wearable Top Quilt" that can snap inside your "Main Underquilt" and boost it to about 30 degrees. No sewing, no cutting, no down explosions in the living room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6MVUCE ... CJ&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdo5IJ ... CJ&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEYDgX ... CJ&index=1

If you make this, you can use the TQ version to suff inside the CDT you've already made to boost it. Or you can make the "booster" version, add snaps to the UQ you already have, and boost that. Make two and you can do both.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mbal1856
Reactions:
Hammock: Yukon Double
Tarp: DIY RSBTR winter
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: DIY MYG UQ

Post by Mbal1856 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 am

Hey Sarge, I'm way ahead of you on your DIY youtube videos. Been subscribing for awhile and watch every one. Thanks

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:03 am

Mbal1856 wrote:Hey Sarge, I'm way ahead of you on your DIY youtube videos. Been subscribing for awhile and watch every one. Thanks
Thanks for watching!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

fcdt3
Reactions:
Hammock: Sunbrella
Tarp: Uline
Suspension: Home Depot
Insulation: DO Hammocks

Post by fcdt3 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:21 pm

I recently learned about this community.
My stores of choice have been Costco and Home Depot.
Some good sales, if one is patient!

Return to “Insulation”