sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

VIDEO: DIY, No Sew, 30 Degree Hammock Insulation System

Post by sarge » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Been a while since I've done a good DIY project. Why are most hammock DIY's for winter stuff?This is for the folks who want to join in on the Costco Throw Blanket fun, but don't have a sewing machine. You'll end up with a complete 30 degree system for just a bit more than $100 total, tools and materials included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWay_nQStg

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: VIDEO: DIY, No Sew, 30 Degree Hammock Insulation System

Post by southernfire97 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Great job, Sarge!

drew23
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by drew23 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Awesome video

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks for watching guys.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Dumb question here...is this just to show how you could make this WITHOUT sewing? In other words, I can follow the same basic principal as far as all the folds and just sew them down, right?

Will be making this sometime soon. I am thinking of using the snap idea just for attaching the booster whenever I need it. That way I can leave it off if I don't need it. I also have some reflectix on-hand that would fit in between the two layers of the booster perfectly if I needed yet one more layer of insulation.

Am I barking up the right tree?!
In vino veritas.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:34 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Dumb question here...is this just to show how you could make this WITHOUT sewing? In other words, I can follow the same basic principal as far as all the folds and just sew them down, right?

Will be making this sometime soon. I am thinking of using the snap idea just for attaching the booster whenever I need it. That way I can leave it off if I don't need it. I also have some reflectix on-hand that would fit in between the two layers of the booster perfectly if I needed yet one more layer of insulation.

Am I barking up the right tree?!
Yep. The sewn versions are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5zAwvs ... gCRrE37tj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oac5fBj ... gCRrE37tj0

The follow the instructions for the "booster" in this video and snap it into the sewn UQ.

OR

You could fold over and sew the snapped version.
My You Tube Channel

gbrugs
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by gbrugs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Great Video. I may try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks for watching!
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:50 am

Well done Sarge! Makes me want to get a Costco membership and start bedazzling, I mean snapping stuff.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:03 am

UncleMJM wrote:Well done Sarge! Makes me want to get a Costco membership and start bedazzling, I mean snapping stuff.
Thanks, Mike.

I just don't want to see you in a couple of years hanging out in front Joanne's Fabrics trying to bum some ripstop off of folks---
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 am

Great video, Sarge! I commented over on Yoytube, and you answered, I'd like to just copy and paste that here:
Off Topic
Bill K 23 hours ago
Great video, Sarge! As for loft with an UQ that curves up around you, and does not have a differential cut, the loft you end up with in actual use, even if being careful not to snug it up too tight, may well be a bit less than when laid out flat. Have you ever tried to estimate the loft after it is actually snugged up to a person in the hammock? OTOH, some claim loft can be compressed about 50% before the insulation significantly decreases, so it might not matter all that much. But like you said, with 3" loft it would theoretically be a lot warmer than 30F, but with the 30F rating you are claiming you can probably get away with a good bit of compression and easily go to 30F. BTW, thanks for informing me about the snap tools! I wish I had known about that before I sold my PeaPod with the worn out Velcro! Even when the Velcro was new, I always felt like a few snaps would be very helpful.
BillyBob66
sargevining
sargevining21 hours ago
Thanks for watching BB! Yah, that's pretty much why I regard it as a 30 degree quilt, although I'd likely give it a shot at 25. I'd be very interested to hear from folks who have used this (and the sewn version) down below 30.

Those snaps are the best dang DIY purchase I ever made. I was designing the Underwoobie and looking for something lighter than the brass snaps I was finding. Then I noticed those snaps on the roll top of my Zimmerbuilt backpack, contacted Chris, and he let me know where to get 'em.
Yes, thx again for the snap tool tip from RipstopBTR. And the whole concept of this tool in general. Like I said, if I had known about this before I sold my PeaPod with it's worn out Velcro, I probably would not have, and sooner or later I will probably replace that PP. The folks I sold it to reported success rejuvinating the Velcro, but I just wasn't having any luck. Oh well, I'd like to have treated down anyway, like the new ones have.

Certainly, with the 3" of loft when laid out flat, it has the potential for way lower than 30F, all depending on what you end up with once it is hung and snugged up against you. What is the weight?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 am

Sarge, you have these great DIY skills, I have none. Never quite had the nerve or energy to get a machine and start giving it a try. But I have a project suggestion for you next time you can't find something to do.

First off, I love the concept here of adding layers by just snapping in. That is just a really nice touch. But it makes me think of another Climashield UQ, which was only on the market for a few months. There were about maybe 1/2 dozen of us who got these UQs from WB before he switched to only providing a down version(otherwise identical), the WB Yeti. But I always thought this was a big loss, as every one who had these thought very highly of them. Then again I'm sure it was a smart business move, since I think most folks are going to choose down, CS is just not as attractive as nice puffy down IMO. But when it comes to overall functionality, I don't think that UQ has ever been topped. And it seems to me it would not be hard to make your own. So why don't you make one some day, for fun?

There was one thing this torso sized UQ had over every other one on the market: removable layers of Climashield(CS). With all layers in (though no reason you could not add even more layers), Cannibal(reputed to be a human furnace) took this UW way below zero and was warm. On his initial test he took it somewhere near zero, single digits I believe, in a heavy Denver snow storm with no tarp, just netting, and was plenty warm. In the picture he posted, you could see the snow had drifted up under the hammock and was in contact with the UW, as well as causing the net to sag nearly to his face. (He was using his dad's very old synthetic bag- probably as a quilt inside). This may have include a snap in VB inner layer which WB use to offer, maybe another oz or 2..

So I think most would agree that is a pretty functional ~ 18 oz UQ, agreed? But the removable layers is the one area where it beats the crap out of anything else that has been on the market(said by a big fan of HHSSs, PeaPods and JRB MWUQs): Only add the weight when you need it, and even then you do not have to add the weight of additional shells, just one 7.5 oz shell. My son, on his first ever hammock trip, with me on a week long trip at over 10,000 ft 1st week of Sept in the Wind River Mountains was toasty warm in the 20s with 3 layers. ( I was new to the UQ, he was new to hammocks, I did not have the nerve to outfit him with 2 layers, but he probably would have been OK). And for me, warm into the high 40s, high humidity/lake side, minimal layers of cotton, with 1 layer which weighed 2.5 oz for a total weight of about 10 oz. (torso sized Yeti). Can any one bet that warmth to weight ratio? And when you add 3 more layers, single digit rated(though Cannibal went well below zero) for < 20 oz, eve though synthetic? How much can you relly beat that even with 850FP down? Not much, though the down will compress more for sure. Still, the removable layers inside one shell is the big advantage over anything else.

It went like this:
1: a torso sized(WB Yeti sized) nylon shell, zippered on the foot end with the inner layer with differential cut so that you cold pull it snug against your back without compressing the outer layers. When pulled snug, the outer layer hung loose several inches below the inner layer.
2: sewn to the inner layer, in a manner that it would not be stretched when that inner layer was snuged against your back and around the shoulders, one 2,5 oz layer of CS.
3: opening the zippered end, you reach in and turn it inside out, so that the CS is fully exposed.
4: Take a new layer of torso sized CS, lay it on the original layer of of CS, with the edges about an inch from the original layer, leaving some slack so that when you curve it around your shoulders and pull it snug, it will not be compressed. Then quilt this layer around the perimeter of the original CS layer. If desired, add more layers.
5: That is how WBguy told me to do it. Another way I like to do it, and seems to work fine, is to turn it inside out, and lay it over a stack of pillow or ironing board, so that it is already in a stretched, curved position like it will be in use. Then I just lay the extra layers over the original, they are already curved as in use, and sew/quilt them on.
6: When I increase the weight a mere 2.5 oz, by adding one more layer, I double the insulation, adding a good 20F additional protection, probably taking it down to about 30 or maybe into the 20s. And of course as I add each new 2.5 oz layer, I increase insulation significantly. There is even enough slack in the outer shell hanging loose, with 1 layer or four that there is room for me to stuff a down or synthetic vest in there for an emergency boost.

All of that sounds so outstanding to me that I never understood why it just disappeared and some one else didn't market it. If you ever decide to give that a try, I'd love to see the video!

Bill
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 pm

The original "snap in" idea (at least the one I had) was when I was doing the Underwoobie. I made one with 2.5 Climashield and then another with 5.0. I made the 5.0 for those times when the 2.5 was not going to be enough, and used the 2.5 for most trips as it compressed a whole lot better. After a bit I just asked myself "Why did you make 2 quilts? Why didn't you make 1 with 2.5 and another without channels and snap it to the first?".

I kind of lost interest in the project as Epsilon was still expensive at the time and I couldn't afford to make the snap in dealy, and I had workable quilts anyway (even though one was a monster when compressed).

As to great DIY skills: keep in mind I'm the guy in control of the video editing software---------
My You Tube Channel

nwatkins
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by nwatkins » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:40 pm

Great video Sarge. I do have one question about the UQ insert. Do you just snap the four corners of the insert to the UQ, or do you add snaps down the side as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

-- Bill Watterson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm

nwatkins wrote:Great video Sarge. I do have one question about the UQ insert. Do you just snap the four corners of the insert to the UQ, or do you add snaps down the side as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for watching!

Snaps at every seam line down the side. When you fold, stagger the seams so that none overlap, then do the same when you put the snaps into the UQ.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”