tennistime99
Reactions:
Hammock: Jungle Exp Asym Zip
Tarp: Hennessey Typhoon
Suspension: Whoopies and toggles
Insulation: DIY UQ ad TQ

Recovered down question

Post by tennistime99 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:32 pm

I was looking on Sierra Trading Post and saw a 600 fill down pillow for less than $50. 28 oz fill. Does anyone look for stuff like that just to pilfer the down and would it be worth the effort?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Recovered down question

Post by sarge » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:00 pm

I once took apart an M42 Army sleeping bag in an attempt to make a couple of the quilt shells then being sold by Lostbiker. The I found Climashield. But where I live, I can get away with Climashield as temps generally don't get much below 30 on the coldest days---
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:27 pm

I do for my own projects.

If it's this one it's probably a decent deal. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/down-i ... rFamily=02

If you'd like a tip, I recommend wrapping the filter of a shop vac with no see um netting or something similar and vacuuming the down out. While the process of transferring the down from the vacuum to bags or your quilt is a bit messy, all the agitation helps separate down from feathers. The feathers will fall and the down will stay on top. You'll lose some in the process and I've found that fill weights for pillows and jackets can vary from specs quite a bit, but you'll still get quite a bit. If I didn't still have 2 pounds of harvested down sitting around I would probably buy one.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Recovered down question

Post by brianb2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm

I did something similar. Piece of pvc with noseeum attached to the shop vac. Once the pvc gets filled you can use a wooden dowel to push it into your quilt channels. If you search around a bit you'll find a formula for how much is needed for each fill rating. You can also weigh the pvc before and after to know how many ounces/grams one full load equals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:58 pm

I found a JC Penney down pillow at a garage sale for $4. I also ripped a down jacket I found in the RV Trailer we bought, and that is what I used to stuff my underquilt. Here's a few pictures of the project; definitely use the filter over a shop vac; I used a 1 gallon paint strainer net.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Coolerking
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Coolerking » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:33 am

I am just about to purchase a down blanket to do exactly this. It's a double duvet and has a lot of down in it, more than enough to make a top quilt for myself I'm sure The best part is is that it is cheaper than buying a bag of down. My top quilt build will stand me at less than $50 and should be a winter weight one, not worked out the full specs as yet.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:22 pm

That's a video I'm looking forward to.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”