The $6.66 Camp Lantern

Post your reviews, recommendations, experiences, questions, comments, or complaints here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

The $6.66 Camp Lantern

Post by sarge » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:18 am

One of my first videos, and my favorite piece of gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSdbvBO27A

Sunlight's website

Now, you might say that looks like the Luci Light, and you'd be right. There's a nasty disagreement between Luci and Sunlight.

From what I've learned, in the early days of MPowered's existence, it didn't manufacture anything. They were looking for solar powered products to market. They (according to Sunlight) made a deal with the folks at Sunlight (which is headquarted in China), who had invented the light, to produce the light and market it in the US. The popularity of the light took off, and MPowered decided to produce the design in the US and freeze out Sunlight.

So this is apparently a case where a US company ripped off the intellectual property rights of a Chinese company (if you beleive what Sunlight claims). I tend to believe Sunlight as both lanterns are being marketed and the only action MPowered has taken against them is to post that nasty "Ripoff Report" posted above. My opinion is that if MPowered had a case, they would take to a court in the US without hesitation. They have a big bank account, lots of investors, and a lot of lawyers---and they are apparently selling those lights for at least twice as much as the cost of production. Sunlight, OTOH, is a very small company based outside the US and is marketing the lights online at 1/3 the price of a Luci.

This poses an interesting dilemma for some of us. We could pay three times as much for a product made in the US that was ripped off from a Chinese company because its a sort of retribution for the actions of other Chinese firms, or we buy the Sunlight that prices thier product fairly and was ripped off by a big American Corporation.

Me?

I like the dangting, and I especially like the price. I generally order three every year to provide more lighting for the Texas Butt Bake and other group hangs.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: The $6.66 Camp Lantern

Post by gmcpcs » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:22 am

But that price though, something may be eveel about that number...
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Return to “Budget Gear”