New Forum dedicated to heavyweight camping

Wanna bring your gear along in Storage boxes? Pop-up Canopies? Dutch ovens? Talk about it here.
Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

New Forum dedicated to heavyweight camping

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:50 am

Car camping is a different animal than LW trail hiking/camping. Generally car camping is much more forgiving. Throw your hat in the ring and discuss everything here.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: New Forum dedicated to heavyweight camping

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:49 am

Great idea. A lot of times folks ask a question and then they'll get six pages of answers regarding lightweight backpacking when they're really looking for car camping answers.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 am

When I car camp, I pack my backpack as if for a hike so that I am totally self contained, then I put everything else I own in the truck.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am

UncleMJM wrote:When I car camp, I pack my backpack as if for a hike so that I am totally self contained, then I put everything else I own in the truck.
Sounds like we have the same trip planner.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Biker Bob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:18 am

Mine is from a motorcycle. Bulk rather than weight is critical. It combines some of both but I learn a lot from the backpackers. Maybe in the future a short overnight hike is in the works, but age and inactivity have taken their toll. With the truck, there is room literally for the kitchen sink. Taking a sidecar is another option.

Bob
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:20 am

Scuba wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am
UncleMJM wrote:When I car camp, I pack my backpack as if for a hike so that I am totally self contained, then I put everything else I own in the truck.
Music to my ears. I TRY, every time to figure out what I really need, but end up packing the backpack, but by the time I'm done with the car I have to hold something in while I slam the hatch shut. Maybe I'll worry less about it now that I have company.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 am

Car camping trips are the ultimate shakedowns. I can bring multiple of everything and try it out. If I bring a lightweight tiny tarp and decide I want full coverage, pack it up, walk to the trunk, and swap it for one of my winter dreams. Decide to not unpack a UQ cuz it's hot as hades and then a cold snap unexpectedly materializes, short walk to the trunk for an underquilt.

Best part, someone else wants to try some piece of gear they haven't used yet before biting the bullet, if I have it, they are welcome too it! Scuba shares this philosophy and it is in large part why I have so much gear now. I've been able to see multiple setups that each have merits and decide what I wanted to add to my stable.

I too have adopted the "If it fits...it gits!" philosophy.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by G_Man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 am

Scuba wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am
That pretty much sums it up for me too :shock: Pack goes in because all my hammock related gear is in there. Quilts go in storage sacks instead of stuff sacks. Why compress my down when I don't need to, right? Plastic tote with dutch oven, cast iron pan, and miscellaneous cooking/clean up supplies confess along as well. Then it's usually anything and everything else I can make fit......
Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Butt Bake seems to be a perfect example of this. Throw some water in a pack and hike in while the truck brings in the cast iron, tables, canopies, island.........

Some of us haven't figured out there is a time and place for both. My hike earlier this month, between 3 of us we had 120lbs of packs. Mainly because we don't have the lightweight gear, not that we brought very much extra. Except food we should have eaten but didn't.

When my wife and I were camping a lot, we bought a 4x8 trailer to haul out gear. Two tents, one 240 sq ft with a 7' peak, and one that could hold 4 queen size mattresses. A patrol box that weighed 150lbs fully loaded. Kayaks and bikes for 5. My wife was not into sleeping bags so much, so we even had sheets and blankets on the double thick air mattress... Funny thing is when we had to bug out for a fire, we didn't take any of that stuff cause we were going to be in people's homes not camping...
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

stim
Reactions:
Hammock: DH FreeBird
Tarp: HH Hex
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: GG Pad&JungleBlanket

Post by stim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 am

UncleMJM wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 am
When I car camp, I pack my backpack as if for a hike so that I am totally self contained, then I put everything else I own in the truck.
Same here as well. Except I've never actually hiked out and camped, so I just assume everything I throw in my pack will work. :D

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: ENO Housefly
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Post by Karla (with a k) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am

Why call it heavyweight camping instead of car camping?
◘ Dec 8-10: DaShack Hang @ Iola, WI ◘ May 18-20: BACONFEST 2018 @ Lake Kegonsa SP ◘ My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/karlawithak216

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Karla (with a k) wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am
Why call it heavyweight camping instead of car camping?
Well--

When you consider that the "pack" you're using weighs over a ton----- :D
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Car Camping”