BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Claytor No Net

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:18 pm

I have been mostly using bridge hammocks lately. I love much about them. I love the consistent leg comfort, and side comfort especially with legs mostly straight or just partial fetal, and really flat on my back even with truly minimal shoulder room, no matter, still comfortable. I also love how easily and consistently I can insulate them with UQs and TQs, really easier than any other hammock, and same for pad use: easily the best.

What do I not like? Obviously, spreader bars, keeping up with them, their weight, and larger tarps with wider pitches needed to deal with the bars. I could use my hiking poles, but I often use those to form a porch for my tarp. Pros and cons. But over all I really like them.

But, truth be told, what I personally like even better than TQs/UQs on a bridge hammock for cold weather use is a Speer PeaPod. Or I think even better for deep cold, a PolarPod though I have never had the pleasure. The PeaPod is maybe not for everyone, but boy did it always work for me better than anything by at least a little. (possibly one exception under some conditions, the HH Super Shelter but I like the Claytor hammock better a little) So, in the past very often on a week long backpack I would choose the Claytor No Net just because I wanted to use my PeaPod.

But I pulled it out of storage to use it the other day. I don't have a PeaPod right now, so i just used a regular UQ, seemed to work pretty good but a lot more fiddle factor than on my bridge or than a PeaPod on this same hammock. But I was also reminded once again what a great hammock this is. Super comfortable and not at all critical of hang angles. I have never used a ridge line on it, just hang it with very little sag or a lot, get in, good to go. Good on the diagonal, on my side legs straight or fetal, either no or minuscule calf pressure, never enough to be a problem, same with knee extension, either zero or not enough to notice.

One special position I use in this hammock more than any other: legs straight, no diagonal. I can do this in most hammocks, but it might work best in this one. The trick is legs out to the side, see pic #2. Not only is there no knee extension this way, but it actually puts a slight bend in my knees, sort of like a recliner. I can not emphasize too much how comfy this is. There might be a problem insulating legs or butt with this position, because it forms a ridge/tunnel between the legs. An if insulating with a pad you would have to use maybe narrow pad strips under the legs. But, I never noticed a problem with the PeaPod.

Anyway, I had kind of forgot about this hammock, but at a minimum I find it at least as comfy as any I have used, and more than most. And it is only 10 ft. long. Plus, it's narrow cut and low side walls/shallow cut allows the PeaPod top layer to sink down right on top of you, maximizing efficiency.

I don't think anyone buys these anymore, mainly because what used to be free or very low cost shipping(to go with it's low price) went up. But, if you are in no hurry it is still only $55 including $15 shipping. But 5 day shipping adds another $30 for a total of $85.
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/nonethammock.html

chair
side view

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Claytor No Net

Post by sarge » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:00 am

Dang---

Been a while since I've seen anhyone talk about Claytors
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Claytor No Net

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am

sarge wrote:Dang---

Been a while since I've seen anhyone talk about Claytors
Same here! I think interest in them is just about gone. Were you around in the early days at the other place, when Neo would argue with every one about how superior the Claytor Jungle hammock was to all others? :D (If your reading this: Hi Neo!) Actually, it was probably his arguments (which irritated some folks), and the fact that I got to lay in his at one of his TN hangs, they made me decide to order one for testing. And he was also a big pad proponent back then, though they probably worked better in the Claytor than most, witness one of the few other pad proponents(for extreme cold anyway) is DuctTape who also uses a Claytor. If memory serves he has used his Claytor with pads down to minus 22F no problems. Wisenber (sp?) also had got a Claytor, and briefly commented it might be his new fav, but I never heard much more about that.

But once I got one and tried it, I quickly saw that it was at least a little superior for me in most ways to my HH UL Explorer and Speer 8.5, both of which were plenty good. Definitely better for side sleeping with legs straight than either of those, though all were just fine and about equal for fetal position. Also less knee extension than those others.

But I got the No Net about the same time I got a Speer PeaPod. And I quickly learned that as much as I liked the pod with the Speer hammock, it was even better with the narrow Claytor. Much less lifting of the pod's top layer by the sides of the hammock. So the deal was sealed for a couple of years. Truly, in retrospect, I can say I never had a cold night with that combo, I was always good to go on the first shot, nothing really to adjust. Though I have sort of abandoned all of that for bridge hammocks, and sold my PeaPod a while back, using the Claytor again recently has reminded of how much I liked it. I can not say that my bridge hammocks are actually more comfy except it is 100% guaranteed no leg issues, and it is possible to have some with the Claytor just like every single non-bridge I have tried. Pretty rare indeed in the Claytor, though I might have to squirm around a bit for the sweet spot to avoid calf pressure or knee extension, 99% of the time it is just not a problem. I can think of some VERY popular hammocks that I have had way more trouble in those areas. For instance the last two uses, zero issues, and still not even bothering with a ridgeline to help get that perfect hang. And only 10 ft long.

But unless I got another PeaPod- which I may well do- I probably still prefer the bridge hammocks for ease and consistency of quilt use. Much like the PeaPod on the Claytor, never any worries about that perfect adjustment of the UQ. But I still wonder if the advantages are enough to make up for the hassle of spreader bars. Oh well, either way is good IMO!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “Hammocks”