bodhran4me
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Gear Deal - Hennessy Spring Warm Up

Post by bodhran4me » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:46 am

Hope this is the right place for this...

The Hennessy Spring Warm up Sale. Some good deals on Super Shelters and overcovers. Also free shipping on orders over $80 (US and Canada).

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Gear Deal - Hennessy Spring Warm Up

Post by GregD » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:06 am

This sale got my interest; these are substantial discounts. But I'm trying to figure out if I could make any use of a Super Shelter and/or overcover. I just bought a 20 degree down underquit for cold temperatures. I'll be camping with 2 dogs that will be poking the hammock with sticks so I'm a bit concerned about the quilt. I imagine the SS will tolerate more abuse than the quilt, and I could use the SS undercover to help protect the quilt. So I can see that adding the SS to my pile of gear would offer a lot of flexibility, but I'm not so sure if I would make good use of it.

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Gear Deal - Hennessy Spring Warm Up

Post by HammockMama » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:57 am

Save the Overcover for VERY cold conditions. My guess is you would get very little use from it in Texas. Maybe not NO use, but very little. You might be able to use the outer bottom cover from a Supershelter over your quilt. I can see it protecting a quilt from wind, rain, and your pets unless they really rake it with sharp claws. It is possible that you could apply the foam pad, then hang your quilt, and finally, add the bottom part of the Supershelter to increase your comfort range with a quilt. The issues that would concern me would having enough space to avoid interfering with the loft of your quilt or trapping condensation which also has the potential of compromising its loft. Condensation can collect below a sleeper as well as above, but the latter is more of a concern. My experience has been that wearing a wicking layer draws perspiration from beneath me, allowing it to evaporate better. Then I need to make double certain that my upper layer is or is allowed to dry. The outer covering is designed to trap some air below the sleeper and allow for layering within the system, but I can't tell you that YOUR quilt would not be compressed at all. Only testing that combination would show the value or lack of it.

All this said, I have a Supershelter that is mostly reserved for car or close to car camping. I'm doing little winter camping these days, and would avoid the weight for backpacking. My go-to is suspending a space-blanket under my Hennessy Hammock, and plopping a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad onto the space blanket. (Probably good to 50-60 F). I might suspend a fleece poncho under the hammock, if I'm carrying one. For years, I used a pad inside the hammock. If I can tear myself from my electric blanket, Select Comfort air mattress, and, of course, my snuggle-bunny hubby, I may do some cold weather testing. It is getting harder and harder to want to drag my aging behind down icy deck stairs to test for the sake of testing. Plus, I seem to be away from home a good bit due to family needs. At least we may not get 10 feet of snow again this year...

Return to “Hammocks”