Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Best Hammock Fabric?

Post by Pine E. Woods » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:20 am

One issue which may be small for some is static. I found the Hexon 1.0 to generate enough to power a small village. There was also something else about it I just didn't like; almost like it was too light. I may try the Hexon 1.6, though.

Spark
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Spark » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:25 pm

I have hammocks made with 1.6 HyperD and 1.6 Hexon both are great hammocks. Both a good choice!

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 am

Any fabric opinions changed based upon newer fabrics since the last post 18 months ago?

I'm about to order a Freebird from Dream Hammocks and am pondering, (aka overthinking), fabric choices.

I can't imagine more than 215 lbs total weight in it and am more concerned about comfort than either bombproof strength or any concern about counting grams.

Thoughts/opinions?

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 am

Robic ripstop nylon - excellent strength to weight, middle of the road for comfort the lighter the robic you pick the stretchier it will get, it is nylon after all
HyperD diamond ripstop nylon - VERY comfortable, decent strength to weight ratio, also stretchier the lighter you go
Hex 70 hexagonal ripstop nylon - Bombproof, excellent for canine applications (ask me how I know), decent comfort ( not uncomfortable at all, just not buttery smooth, because of the fabric weight it isn't very stretchy despite being nylon
Ripstop poly or nylon (square)- the old standard, nylon is stretchier, and the light the fabric, the stretchier it gets. the ripstop poly that you get from DreamHammock is only available in camo patterns I believe, but poly ripstop is less stretchy than its nylon counterparts. Poly also has a more "plasticy" feel to it, but is less flammable, if that matters at all.

if you want to know about Dutch fabrics, you would need to ask someone else, I have no clue what he is selling nowadays.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Hammocks”