Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

My Next Hammock

Post by sarge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Tied up and ready to ship to me
Image Image I'm not a big believer in pads, but this comes with one:
Image More about it here.

And there's a story about it (you know there had to be right? It ain't worth havin if you ain't got a story to go with it.)

I first saw that about 6 weeks ago. The guy had like $180 on it, plus the $35 shipping, and a "Make an offer" button. I watched it go one cycle without a bid. He relisted it and just before it was over I sent him an offer of $100, total including shipping. He came back with a counter offer of $150 plus shipping. I declined. I explained that its not a particularly marketable piece as its large and difficult to store and display. Collectors want to show their stuff off and you just can't do that with this thing.

It went through three or four more cycles, but he dropped it to $150 plus the shipping. I almost sent him another offer of $120 total but got to looking at something else. Then-----it disappeared from the listings. I thought somebody else had made him an offer that he took,

Two weeks ago, it came back up---for $120 plus shipping. When I saw that, I knew I had him. I crossed my fingers and let it slide and watched him relist it at the $85.00 you see there. I sent him an offer.

Wanna know how much I got it for?

$100 total, shipping included.

So. Who else here has a 100 year old hammock?

I've already got about 5-6 WW1 USMC reenactors waiting for me to do a reproduction of this thing. But first I'm gonna do a video on it. My plan is to take it down to the USS TEXAS and hang it from the hammock hooks they have on the Main Deck when I do it.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: My Next Hammock

Post by bobamos » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Sweet!!! I love historical things like this. It even had a label, or part of one. Really looking forward to the video...
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Yah.

Cool thing is that the original owner is from NH---just 50 miles from where Iived.

Its on a slow boat. Sez delivery 1 Feb.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Were those in use during WWI in the Navy?
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 am

Hammocks were used for berthing since the inception of the Navy all the way up to just before WW2. A good number of ships that participated in WW2 were WW1 vintage and the Navy didn't start converting to racks until sometime after 1937, so some of them would have still had their hammocks.
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 am

Wow! Is this just for looking at?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 am

BillyBob66 wrote:Wow! Is this just for looking at?
I'm going to see if I can reproduce it for reenactors. And maybe just hang in it once or twice---------
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 am

Fabric inspection for weakness? Ropes? Cool piece.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Yah. I'm a bit worried about what age and storage might have done to the rope in particular. The good news is that it was stored up north, likely in the attic, but not with the heat and humidity that one might find in other parts of the country. If you look close you can see some spider activity---which might be good news as they eat bugs that eat fabric.

You can see where the fabric absorbed the oils from the rope and it might be dry and brittle as a result. The clews are also connected to the hammock by going through grommets and around the large diameter rope at the ends, which might also be sry as well.

The mattresses were made of horse hair. I'm instrested to see how my dog reacts to that.
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:44 pm

this one doesn't qualify as UL does it?.....I'm thinking some mule tape to a becket hitch?

What does it weigh? Not that they cared on a ship....no one had to hump that to a battle field.
Call me Junior

Matthew2000tx
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Matthew2000tx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:18 pm

that is cool
<>< Matthew R. <><
K5NON
Bike4Heck.com
Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 am

I wonder if the ropes are genuine hemp? If so might explain why they are not completely rotted away. That's a really neat find there Sarge. Hope you do get to lay in it at least once.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Hammocks”