Atrus81
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy Expedition
Tarp: Stock w/ hennessy
Suspension:
Insulation:

Question on the ENO

Post by Atrus81 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:51 pm

So, I love my stock Hennessy setup right now, but picked up an ENO double and and ENO single on a sweet REI sale. The double is nice and comfy but the pictures you see of people in them seem untrue. I climbed in and was immediately swallowed by the beast like a cacoon. Right now its my lawn hammock, but my son has expressed interest in backpacking, and I figure I can DIY a bugnet for him and throw it on the ENO if he goes.
Any thoughts or similar feelings on the ENO? Maybe my hennesy does it too and I dont notice because Im trapped under the built in bugnet - but the ENO double nest doesnt seem to be an overly friendly "hammock chair" as they claim either...am I doing it wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Question on the ENO

Post by sarge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:03 pm

You're not doing it wrong. The ENO DN is a good hammock, I used one for a while. The extra fabric to make it a "double" does make for a "wall" around you. Adding a ridgeline and some asym tie outs like the HH, or a knotty mod might help that a bit.

There were a couple summer nights where I wrapped myself in that extra fabric for a little added warmth.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Atrus81
Reactions:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Atrus81 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:42 pm

Everyones always pushing the mods. Guess I need a sewing machine now. That DN has a LOT of fabric, the single felt a bit snug for converting to a camper, but was more confortable when thinking of a lounge hammock.
Ive been trying to pretend the SN isnt still in the garage, but my wife keeps reminding me to "return that other one". In my mind, 2 hammocks bought on an amazing deal is better than one.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 am

I used a single nest for years and I'm 6'4". I find them comfortable enough I still break mine out for suspension experiments because I don't want to puncture my lightweight hammock if I drop. The ENO os tough enough to take it. I also use it as a loaner. One friend used it and liked it so much he got hammocks for his whole family.

The only negative thing I'll say about them is they are expensive for what you get. I think when my wife got mine she paid close to $60 at a brick and mortar camping store. There are so many cottage vendors making them now it's easy to find a better option for less.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:37 am

Atrus81 wrote:Everyones always pushing the mods. Guess I need a sewing machine now. That DN has a LOT of fabric, the single felt a bit snug for converting to a camper, but was more confortable when thinking of a lounge hammock.
Ive been trying to pretend the SN isnt still in the garage, but my wife keeps reminding me to "return that other one". In my mind, 2 hammocks bought on an amazing deal is better than one.

Return a hammock?

Such things just aren't done in polite society.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BearBurrito
Reactions:
Hammock: Modded ENO
Tarp: Various
Suspension: Straps w/ spiders
Insulation: DIY

Re: RE: Re: Question on the ENO

Post by BearBurrito » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:09 pm

Atrus81 wrote:Everyones always pushing the mods. Guess I need a sewing machine now. That DN has a LOT of fabric, the single felt a bit snug for converting to a camper, but was more confortable when thinking of a lounge hammock.

No sewing machine required. I added a knotty mod at both ends of my DN by heating a bent open paperclip and using it to melt open two holes in the hem only about 18 inches apart. Don't melt through the seam! Threaded shock cord through the hem and tied a knot at one end. The other end of the cord has a cord lock so I can adjust the tension.

I did this at my head and feet. It makes a nice pocket that helps keep my pillow and quilt in the hammock. Some people put them in the middle. I really like having the pocket at head and feet and no floppy sides!

I used a seam ripper to remove the storage pocket since I never really used it. I use snake skins.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Atrus81
Reactions:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question on the ENO

Post by Atrus81 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:12 pm

Tapatalk[/quote]
No sewing machine required. I added a knotty mod at both ends of my DN by heating a bent open paperclip and using it to melt open two holes in the hem only about 18 inches apart. Don't melt through the seam! Threaded shock cord through the hem and tied a knot at one end. The other end of the cord has a cord lock so I can adjust the tension.

I did this at my head and feet. It makes a nice pocket that helps keep my pillow and quilt in the hammock. Some people put them in the middle. I really like having the pocket at head and feet and no floppy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Atrus81
Reactions:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Atrus81 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Oops...failed quote. Okay, knotty mod - I see this alot on forums. What is a/the knotty mod?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Atrus81 wrote:Oops...failed quote. Okay, knotty mod - I see this alot on forums. What is a/the knotty mod?

Basically, its sewing in a length of shock cord into the seam of your hammock to make a foot and/or head box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VfSILeRGs
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Hammocks”