V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

12ft Hexon 2.4 Hammock

Post by V_Allen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Just got some of Dutch's Hexon 2.4 Coyote Brown material and made a quick 12 footer with it. Took it for a test drive and I have to say that this material is very nice. I did a single layer and with my 250 in it it has just a tiny amount of stretch to it. I started with 153 inches and after hemming ended up at exactly 144 inches long. Width as received was 62 inches so I did a 1/2 inch roll hem and ended up with 59 inches wide.

Initial impressions are that it's just a tad too long - I may shorten it to 11.5 after a few days. I was thinking that the material would stretch a bit more - hardly any stretch at all. Dutch says its good to 400lbs, so those who need a dual layer may want to look at this material.
20150821_131945.jpg
20150821_131739.jpg
20150821_131640.jpg
The material is very easy to work with and sews beautifully. Final weight came to 17.85 oz. - 6 oz less than my old dual layer I've been using for 5 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: 12ft Hexon 2.4 Hammock

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Looks great. I can't wait to get settled into the new house and have a hobby room setup for DIY. I am taking down as many notes as possible til then.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Baby Huey wrote:Looks great. I can't wait to get settled into the new house and have a hobby room setup for DIY. I am taking down as many notes as possible til then.
Thank you. I haven't been to sleep yet since the nap yesterday so I'm making gathered ends for the family for next weeks visit. Our old dual layers are getting a bit ripe and the kids can take theirs back with them. Dutch sells this stuff cheap. Takes 45 minutes to make each one.

Don't worry - I'll teach you everything you should know about DIY and some things you shouldn't know.

Hey! I got a new gate today!

Vince

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Glad to hear you got the new gate in. All those drunk out of towers are trying their hardest to get one of your hammocks.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Baby Huey wrote:Glad to hear you got the new gate in. All those drunk out of towers are trying their hardest to get one of your hammocks.
You know....I never thought about that. You may be right. Guess I'll have to set out the claymores again.

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Thank you for posting this thread.

Have been contemplating tackling such a project since I found out about the Hexon 2.4. With my 60lb dog jumping in and out of the hammock added to my substantial self, always looking for hammocks rated to 350lbs or more. Thought I'd start at 12' long since I'll be using four yards per hammock anyhow. Much easier to trim some off an end than put more back on!!

Anyone have any thoughts about adding some width to the Hexon 2.4? My smallest 'mock is a Skeeter Beeter Pro at 60" x 10'6" and my largest is a Yukon Double at 74" x 11'6". Both are about equally comfortable to lay in. However the Yuk yields a lot more room for my Draht, which we both appreciate. Several of my other hammocks have 6"-9" sewn on either side to add width. Thus far I have not experienced any issues with the seams. So, while I most likely do not need any additional width beyond what the Hexon 2.4 already has, wider is nicer in my experience. Thoughts?

Thanks y'all!!
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 am

Hey DuxDog - I just slept in it last night and decided to keep it at 12'. I usually have a problem with calf ridge, but this material doesn't have much stretch and combined with the length gave me a great nights sleep. My wife joined me for a few minutes and it held us both no problem (combined weight about 375). She can sew her own. I'm not mean, just busy.

If you start at exactly 4 yards (12ft) of material, the hemmed ends and gathered ends will give you a finished 10.5-11ft depending on the hem size. I started with 12' 9" and arrived at 12 even.

You can easily add material to the sides to make it wider. 6" on each side will give you a nice 6' wide. It can be a different type of material also. You will have lots of floppy side material so the stretch side mod is usually desirable.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 am

That's how I built my Big Green Weenie, and its brother Greener Weenie, and that's the sleep experience I've had with them too.

Big Green is built from ther 1.1 MarPat nylon that DIY Gear Supply sells, which runs about 67" wide. The other is from 1.0 Hyper D, that runs about 60" wide.

I get great diagonal lays in both, but a bit better in Big Green. There's actually a ridge there, but its so wide that your feet go right past it. I have abit of a problem with the Hyper D as it stretches. That's not an issue with the lay, but I need to hang it a bit higher and tighter because it will sag "downwards" and get me too close to the ground. I did a video a while back, but mislabeled the fabric as 1.6 Hyper D, so I took it down.

Sometime this winter I'm going to make another 12 footer out of the 72" stuff that RSBTR is selling with my interpretation of a sewn in HUG. Tom built one that he had out at the Butt Bake. Maybe we can talk him into posting some pics.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:23 am

Yeah, the hyperd is strong, but it does stretch. I hung the new hexon one at my normal higher height and didnt sink at all. All my other hammocks sink quite a bit. I've gotten some of the 72 inch hyperd 1.6 - its nice, just limited in colors.

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:16 am

V_Allen wrote: If you start at exactly 4 yards (12ft) of material, the hemmed ends and gathered ends will give you a finished 10.5-11ft depending on the hem size. I started with 12' 9" and arrived at 12 even.
That is really good to know. Figured I'd lose an inch on each side for hems and 3" on the ends for channels or whipping. Looks like it's going to be 50% more than that.
You can easily add material to the sides to make it wider. 6" on each side will give you a nice 6' wide. It can be a different type of material also.
I was thinking of going with a different material (something with more stretch comes to mind) or at least a different color.
You will have lots of floppy side material so the stretch side mod is usually desirable.
By "stretch side mod" do you mean what is also know as the "Knotty mod"? If not, what is that? The extra fabric has never bothered me and can be nice to have when the breeze picks up. Easy enough to throw an arm, shemagh, etc over it when I prefer an unobstructed view.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, I meant the Knotty Mod. I use it more to keep my TQ from falling out when I stagger out of the hammock in the wee hours before dawn. I hang my bare legs over the sides in warm weather to keep cool and to tease the wife when she's looking in my direction. The sides just stretch out. I use 3/32 shockcord so it stretches real easy and doesn't snap back hard enough to hurt.

Return to “Hammocks”