Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

New forum

Post by Scuba » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:29 pm

for those of us who hike with our four legged friends. Advice, gear, how to's.... post em here.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: New forum

Post by rhjanes » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:10 pm

I call DISCRIMINATION!!!!
Where is the "hiking with cats". Where is "hiking with my parrot". "Care and feeding of my hamster on the trail". "Is filtered water OK for my goldfish while hiking?".
:lol:
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Would love to find a 4-legged friend for camping, hunting and fishing. This twould be great. The furry friend could go to work with me most days as well.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RE: Re: New forum

Post by Zort » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 am

rhjanes wrote:I call DISCRIMINATION!!!!
Where is the "hiking with cats". Where is "hiking with my parrot". "Care and feeding of my hamster on the trail". "Is filtered water OK for my goldfish while hiking?".
[emoji38]
I believe Sarge's Bunker will have a "I don't like dogs and I think they shouldn't be on the trail" section soon.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:12 am

Calait wrote:Would love to find a 4-legged friend for camping, hunting and fishing. This twould be great. The furry friend could go to work with me most days as well.
I got my adventure dog from the BARC shelter in Houston.

Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:19 am

All 3 of my dogs are rescues.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:55 am

Zort wrote: I got my adventure dog from the BARC shelter in Houston.

Be still my heart!!!! Beautiful!!!

I also got my 4-legged friend from the shelter but it was before I got into hiking/camping/backpacking and I did not train him very well so he is rambunctious. I have started working with him because he (naturally) loves being in the woods so I am hoping that he will at least go with me and do good when I am camping in my own woods. We will have to work up to getting to the public places phase.

BTW, Thanks Sarge for starting this thread! I started one on the other forum to get some advice about working with my dog and then it got moved to the "donators only" section so I could not see it anymore. :(
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 am

I had been working with him on his leash and around the neighborhood he was doing great. His first campout was the Fairfield hang last year and you'd have thought he'd never been outside before. I couldn't believe how calm he got as soon as I put his pack harness on him. It's like a switch flipped.

My Youtube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:41 am

Zort wrote:I had been working with him on his leash and around the neighborhood he was doing great. His first campout was the Fairfield hang last year and you'd have thought he'd never been outside before. I couldn't believe how calm he got as soon as I put his pack harness on him. It's like a switch flipped.

Now if we could just get him to go in the water past his knees.....

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:56 am

He would have, but there wasn't a flamingo tutu that fit him
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:09 pm

I'll keep everyone posted, but I'm starting on a dog friendly bug net setup that I hope will allow my pup to sleep under my hammock without all the mosquitos and biting flies. I guess we will find out if all my complex angles were figured correctly.....
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:34 am

Idaho Hanger wrote:I'll keep everyone posted, but I'm starting on a dog friendly bug net setup that I hope will allow my pup to sleep under my hammock without all the mosquitos and biting flies. I guess we will find out if all my complex angles were figured correctly.....
My dogs much prefer to pick their own sleeping spots and they have not yet chosen to sleep under the hammock although a hard rain would likely convince them to sleep under the tarp. I'm not sure they even sleep at night in the woods.

Before I started camping with them I worried about mosquitoes. Cold and rain too. But their fur is amazing stuff and seems to handle everything. Except ticks. And heat.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:50 pm

I hike with a pit bull. She has no fat so she gets cold and doesn't have nearly enough fur to protect from insects. She can carry anything you put in her pack though. She also has a waterproof climashield 6.0 jacket to help with the cold.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:59 pm

I am still looking for the dog that will filter the water, hang the hammock and cook dinner for me.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:00 pm

During hunting season he has to fetch the deer and field dress it.....
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Return to “Hiking with Dogs”