Battery Pack Charger for Backpacking

Cameras, GPS, headlamps, solar chargers....talk about it all here.
ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Battery Pack Charger for Backpacking

Post by ADVStrom14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am

I bought a solar charger and it works OK...as long as I have direct sunlight...so I'm looking for an actual battery pack or rechargeable station that I can charge at home and bring with me. What rugged and lite charging station do you use to charge your electronics on the trail?

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Battery Pack Charger for Backpacking

Post by rhjanes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I have a KMASHI brand, 11200mAh one. It charged my IPHONE 5 4 times. Plus my IPOD (which was not below about 50 percent). And I ran the light on it one night for about 2 hours. It dropped it's charge like 50 percent is all!

Here is a Youtube of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIyKt-52Dg
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:30 pm

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

any idea what those Anker units weigh? Do they have a built in light? I found the light on my KMASHi REALLY great when my headlamp decided to not work one night!

Nevermind...found answers (Thanks Captain Google!)

Both have a LED light.
The E7 weighs 17.1 ounce is 26800 mAh
the E5 weighs 10.4 is 16000 mAh
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Awesome! I will have to check these out!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:13 pm

And the Ankers work very well also. The Butt Bake was from Wednesday-Sunday in July, and I used both of these for charging phones, gopro batteries, and other assorted electronics. I paired it with my Anker Solar panel HERE
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:53 pm

That Kmashi I have, weight is 9 ounces. One downside is that there is only one output. So I can only recharge one item at a time. Last trip, I would stop at camp, Click the "I'm stopping here" on my InReach. Shut off the MapMyHike on the phone and plug it in. By the time I'd eaten, set up camp, hydrated and such, the phone would be charged. I'd shut down the phone and then charge up the Inreach (didn't really need to, it would run for days) and power it down. Finally, I'd charge the IPOD (I only did that one night out of 4). I believe the battery back up, thru all that, was only discharged around 50 percent. So it might last for a week long trip.

Those Ankur, can charge several devices at once. Pretty nice!
Call me Junior

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 pm

OK so I finally bought this one - well, the updated version of this one. It's a freaking brick! Anyway. I put it on the charger because it had only 3 of the 10 LED indicator lights lit showing that it had about a third of the charge. The 3 lights would steady on and then the other ones would like up in a wave around the power button circle...continuously. And that hasn't changed in a couple hours on the charger. Does yours look the same as this and how long should I realistically expect for it to charge? Is there any other indication than this? Thanks.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:14 pm

they take a while to charge

iamyendor
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by iamyendor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 am

I bought this one. Just over 10oz. Works great. I like the solar panel AND power bank all in one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HWRGB ... ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Scuba wrote:they take a while to charge
No doubt! I am so instant gratification I got frustrated when I couldn't see the power indicator progressing. But I did some quick research and read some in depth reviews that talked about taking 8.5-9 hours to charge which makes sense for something that large. When I got up this morning it was completely charged. :)

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:41 pm

iamyendor wrote:I bought this one. Just over 10oz. Works great. I like the solar panel AND power bank all in one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HWRGB ... ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
That one looks good but I've just not really had good success with solar chargers. The only time I really need them is when I am in the woods and I can't seem to get enough consistent light to make a difference.

Return to “Electronics”