Vloggers, what camera do you use and why?

Cameras, GPS, headlamps, solar chargers....talk about it all here.
ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Vloggers, what camera do you use and why?

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:22 pm

I realize that camera choices are as numerous as the people that use them and can be really personal but I am looking for some suggestions on cameras.

I have been using a canon rebel XTi FOR MANY years now but I am wanting to shoot more video now so I want something that will do both. For video, I want HD 1080p ability and 60 fps at least with something that is going to pick up sound well. I have been leaning toward the rebel T5i after some recommendations I found online but it's a DSLR and is heavy compared to some point and shoots. But I like the ability to add an exterior mic if needed.

So the questions are:

1. what camera do you use?
2. what do you mostly use it for?
3. why did you choose that camera?
4. What do you like/dislike now that you've had it a while?

Thanks for the input!

Jes

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Vloggers, what camera do you use and why?

Post by sarge » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm using the GoPro I use in the field. There's something to be said for using the same equipment in both situations so that you have that "muscle memory" so that you don't forget o push that one button you should have pushed----

Its the camera I started with and I briefly considered upgrading to a DSLR, but wanted to get into some two camera stuff in the hiking vids, I also knew that I needed to improve the sound on the Go Pro, and that the sound in any DSLR within my financial reach would also need a sound upgrade. In the end, I decided I'd work on the sound and use my phone's camera for the second camera for the field work. That way I could afford to upgrade the sound on both the phone and the Go Pro and when I upgrade to a DSLR as a second camera, I'd have the sound issues for both already solved.

To that end, I got an aluminum frame for the GoPro that has a cold shoe mount on top on which I put a Zoom H1 in a shock mount and a "Cinema Mount" for the phone with a Rode Video Micro on it.

I also got a cheap light kitand cobbled together some GoPro accessory mount parts so it mounts beside the GoPro similar to what it shows in that pic.

The Cinema Mount is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDLjwV8vFg
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Coolerking
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Vloggers, what camera do you use and why?

Post by Coolerking » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:39 am

I have a dslr that j am going to try and use one day but my main problem is uploading. So, I use the camera in my pocket, the one that's inalways with me, that is the iPhone 6s. It's not that bad on quality in all honesty. But for me, I can upload the video straight from my phone which is perfect for me.
I know that won't really help you though.

Return to “Electronics”