GoPro Hero 4 Silver thoughts, from a n00b

Cameras, GPS, headlamps, solar chargers....talk about it all here.
Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

GoPro Hero 4 Silver thoughts, from a n00b

Post by Scuba » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Let me start by saying I JUST got this about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning it.

Pros:
Size. Thing is small and only 2.9 oz.
Great picture. shoots up to 2.7K, but I keep it in 1080p.
The night effects, both still and video are cool.
Aftermarket non GoPro accessories and batteries are affordable and perform well.
Waterproof (in the right case)

Cons:
The microphone sucks. And if you put on a waterproof case it sounds like they are talking from the bottom of trash can.
Battery life sucks. Thankfully aftermarket 3rd party batteries are cheap and reliable.
The software. The gopro software is ok, but it isnt intuitive, and not as powerful as 3rd party options. For free options, I recommend Blender or Davinci resolve. I am using Cyberlink's PowerDirector Ultimate ($65) which is VERY intuitive and has tons of bells and whistles.

Here is a picture I took using the advanced night settings of Andy Martinez with glowsticks in the middle of the night.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: GoPro Hero 4 Silver thoughts, from a n00b

Post by sarge » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Cool beans. I'm still learning a lot about my Hero 3+. Just downloaded the GoPro App and running thru that. Agree on the battery life and mic.

Just got the Zoom H1 external mic/recorder to take care of the crappy sound. Got a shock cage for it from the former Soviet Union. I was a little leery of it, but delivery was actually better than wht I get from China.

Also got a light, b/c the GoPro sucks in the dark.

The light will go on top of this frame for the GoPro(it fits the Hero 4, too), and the mic will be mounted next to it, off to the side to keep it from being in frame using this kit.

The frame isn't here yet, but here's a crappy picture of what it looks like now:

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Electronics”