Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Idaho and the west.

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:03 pm

I don't know that there's anybody on here from my neck of the woods, but I'm finally working a job with weekends free (after 12 years in the concert and event industry) and am trying to schedule some weekend backpacking trips in my area, as well as a big trip or two in the summer. Hoping to start these soon with Jennie Lake and the Crooked River Trail near Idaho City and Shirts Lake and Boulder/Rapid Lake area near McCall. These are 2-3 hour drives from Boise and are 6-8 mile round trip out-and-back hikes, except Crooked River, which is 9 miles, end to end and will probably involve hillside hanging.

Some are better than others but trout fishing is a go in all these locations.

Big summer trip will be 4-7 days in the Frank Church Wilderness or Boulder White Clouds near Stanley Idaho.

All hikes will be between 5000' and 10,000' with constant elevation change so pack light. Weather is somewhat unpredictable, temps can drop to high 20's.

I'm working on building a small gear company and as such I do have some loaner gear if someone wants to give hammock camping a try without investing in all the gear.

Please let me know if you're interested. We don't have many opportunities for group hangs here due to our low populations but we have some of the best country in the world for it.

Out of state visitors are always welcome too. If you want to head up from Texas come a day early. Spending an easy night at elevation before the hike can really help if you're not used to it.

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Idaho and the west.

Post by Scuba » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:39 pm

This sounds awesome.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:50 pm

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I would love to get back out west for some hikes, but life gets in the way. closest I am getting is a week in Pecos Wilderness in NM this year. High country, trout fishing every night, but still a bit far from you.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:

Post by Idaho Hanger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:05 pm

New Mexico is a place I need to get to. I think it's a lot like Idaho in that it's quite different than people's impression of it. We don't just have potato farmers here, we also have 2 million acres of wilderness. Pictures of the Pecos look remarkably similar to our wilderness areas here.

Rich S.
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rich S. » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:39 pm

you know...., the trees that support my hammock down here have a base elevation of about 29' ASL. So, hanging 4' above the tree base, my normal base elevation is 33' down here on the SW side of Houston.
Don't know that I'ld want to tangle those high altitudes....
LOL.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:

Post by Idaho Hanger » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Rich S. wrote:you know...., the trees that support my hammock down here have a base elevation of about 29' ASL. So, hanging 4' above the tree base, my normal base elevation is 33' down here on the SW side of Houston.
Don't know that I'ld want to tangle those high altitudes....
LOL.
That's crazy. My house is at 2700'.

Without the climb you don't get the view.....

Return to “The West”