Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

WV - Short Hike Roaring Plains

Post by Mophead » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:32 pm

WV - Roaring Plains Half Day Hike

Distance: about 8.5 miles (can be hiked in under 4hrs)

Directions to trail head: From Harman follow WV-32N toward Dry Fork WV. Turn right on to Bonner Mt. Road. Follow this road until it switches back and then make a right toward Dolly Sods (you should see the sign right after turning) and drive through Laneville. You will eventually pass a small bridge over red creek and drive through a gate onto FSR 19. Follow FSR 19 until you can make a right turn toward a closed gate into the parking area. From the parking area follow the road past the gate down to the first red creek crossing where the trail blazes start for the South Prong Trail.

Trail Maps Here: http://www.wvhighlands.org/Maps/Roaring ... 20Maps.pdf

Trail Notes: The trails are well blazed but at a couple of intersections it is possible to get off on to old logging roads so keep an eye out for the many blue blazes. Head left after the first creek crossing along the south prong trail to its intersection with the forest service road. Take a right onto the forest service road and follow it for about 1.5mi. Then, take a right onto the boar’s nest trail, which will take you out toward the plains and an extremely vertical slope. You will cross the first stream slightly down from where you started and end back at your parking spot. If you are looking for a challenging hike you can head up the Boar’s Nest trail and down the South Prong. If you would like a longer hike you can continue on the south prong trail after the forest road . Midatlantichikes.com has some info on some other routes not listed on the conservancy’s maps about Jon Jessup’s “secret” trail and a pipeline swath.

I didn't do a very good job of getting pics of the second part of the trail but the sections of the south prong a boars nest that closely follow the streams have good hammock spots with water access. There are some tent/hammock sites along the forest road near the start of the boars nest trail, and few spots to camp on the rocks of the plains but the wind and rain is intense so be warned. Foggy/rainy day so no vista shots.

Here is a gallery for pics while the image links are being sorted out: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayv7f2vl91iz ... M4JWa?dl=0

First stream crossing

old metal from logging equipment?

frog or salamander eggs

Tree strap is twisted in this shot, should of gotten a better one after it was fixed but oh well.
Last edited by Mophead on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: WV - Short Hike Roaring Plains

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Nice looking country, wished I could commute.

Looks like sumpin got the hungries for a tree there.

I think your "mining equipment" is what's left of an old cast iron stove---at least two burners and maybe four.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: WV - Short Hike Roaring Plains

Post by Mophead » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Yep, the fresh ones like that always make for an interesting trip. I think you're right about that being an old stove, I was thinking it might have been part of an old hand cart for a railroad track when there was logging going on. If you do ever make it into that area with 3 or 4 days to spare go ahead and travel up that forest service road to the dolly sods area- doesn't get any better than the sods. This is a nice place to go if you live close and want to avoid crowds in dolly sods during peak times. Looks like all the image links broke. I'll see if I can fix that, but in the mean time here is a link to an album with the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayv7f2vl91iz ... M4JWa?dl=0

Return to “Appalachia”