q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Heading out to Daniel Boone Scout Trail - Grandfather Mtn NC

Post by q3moondog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:45 pm

So I'm going with my sons scout troop on a 2 day hike/hang to the Daniel Boone Scout Trail at Grandfather Mountain, NC. It'll be a first full hike and overnight camp with our hammocks for my son and myself. wish us luck! The weather looks "ok", some potential rain but hey that'll let me test out my tarps waterproof setting right? [I've already done that, by the way ;) ]. I'll be sure to report back on how things go early next week! Probably no video but I'll take some pics.

My gear: [I've learned to sew!]
DIY 1.6 HyperD ripstop Hammock w/ DIY Whoopie slings & 1.5" tree straps.
DIY Cat cut SilNylon Hex tarp

My sons gear: [we went cheap but comfortable until he knows he wants to do the hammock thing]
Walmart Equip Hammock - replaced suspension with DIY Whoopie slings & Tree straps
UST HEX 1.0 tarp - this one seems a bit short but hanging it asym with the 115" ridgeline seems to cover him ok. He's only 5' tall and likes a good sag on his hammock, at least that's what he found to his liking in the yard.

The trail is a pretty cool trail. It spans from the Blue Ridge Parkway and heads toward Calloway Peak were it picks up the Grandfather trail. The Grandfather trail has some really neat scrambles to it. Some ladders and cables to get up some cliffs near MacRae's Peak. It ends at the Mile High Swinging Bridge.

See ya'll soon!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Heading out to Daniel Boone Scout Trail - Grandfather Mtn NC

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Have fun and posts us a trip report.

I'm gonna be out on the Blue Ridge this time next week, but will be just passin thru to visit the Grandboy. But having him out there does give me the excuse to head out to take him backpacking in the years to come!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Looking forward to your report, sounds like a great trip. Maybe you will catch that cold front that is going through here tonight/tomorrow and have nice cool temps! Do you have either pads or UQs to keep the chill off?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Definitely sounds like a great time. Let us know how it goes so we can live vicariously through you till we can get out again.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 am

Baby Huey wrote:Definitely sounds like a great time. Let us know how it goes so we can live vicariously through you till we can get out again.
Dang.

I'm trying to live vicarioulsy through you hiking in Montana and you're trying to live vicarioulsty through Moondog b/c you aren't hiking in Montana like you thought you would.

Moondog seems to be the only one getting out these days-----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:55 am

I planned on going out this weekend, but a short trip to the clinic has provided me with the knowledge that I apparently got some kind of virus that has been floating around town and I am on meds and bed rest so I miss as little work as possible.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by q3moondog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 am

We made it safely back and had a grand time of it. Here's my trip report so Sarge, Baby Huey and others, enjoy!

[edit...]I just realized while going through my pics from the trip that Igot 0 [zero!] pics of our hammocks. I can't beleive it. I guess I was too engrosed in making sure the scouts were settling in ok and breaking camp the next morning. So for now all I have are pics of the trail and hike itself. I hope you enjoy these. I'll be going on another hike in a few weekend to hang so I will definitely gets pics there.

The trailhead for the Daniel Boone Scout trail [DBST] doesn't pick up until about a qtr of a mile into the Tanawha trail where you tie into at the Boone Fork parking area off the Blue Ridge Parkway [BLP] at around mile marker 299.5. We had 2 vans full of backpacks, 6 scouts and 2 leaders.
We didn't get to the parking area until dark so we had to hike the 1.6 miles up to the Daniel Boone campsite in the dark. From the trailhead to the campsite the elevation change was a quick 1000' ascent. The trail would wind itself over a few creeks [Boone Fork creek & Green Mountain creek] then up towards the Cragway trail. Right past the Cragway trail the Daniel Boone campsite is on the left. It had multiple tent platforms and an abundance of trees for hanging. So I was excited to get camp setup.

I had taken my son out the week before into our yard to teach him how to hang his hammock and tarp properly so he would be able to do it himself. My son and I were the only hammock hangers in the group. Everyone else set up their tents and we began to setup our hammocks.
The cold front BillyBob66 mentioned was starting to roll in! The temps were dropping and a light rain was starting to press in on us. I had completed my setup when I realized I had hung my hammock perpendicular with the wind coming in, not a great choice! I went to check on my son to see how he was doing and he was done and sitting in his hammock already. He had chosen a great spot protected from the wind and looked to be set for the night. I congratulated him on a job well done getting everything setup and went back to my hammock to reposition it for a more comfortable night. I couldn’t find 2 trees close to where I had originally setup where I could protect myself from the wind so I had to move away from the tent platforms a little ways down the hill. I was about 30 yards away from everyone else but close to the other leaders tent. It was getting late and I knew I had to get things setup quickly before the rain started getting heavier. I finally was setup and ready to climb in and get some rest before we hit the trail in the morning.

The heavy rain never came thankfully but it did rain lightly through the night. In my hurried state of re-setting up my tarp I didn’t realize it but I had hung it upside down with the seam sealed side facing down toward me. When did I find this out? The tarp was getting saturated by the rain fall and started a few small drips along the ridgeline and onto my hammock. It wasn’t enough to be concerned about so I left it alone and it didn’t get worse through the night [note to self –do a better seam seal on both sides of your tarp!].

I did have a wildlife encounter which was pretty fun after the fact. Around 4am I woke up to a heavy musky wild smell that was definitely an animal smell. Knowing these trails were pretty popular to bears my first thought was a bear was snooping around and wanting me for breakfast. We all had taken the precautions to hang our food bags well away from us so I wasn’t completely convinced it was a bear. Within a few seconds of realizing that something definitely was outside my tarp I squirmed around in my hammock to make some noise and hopefully startle whatever it was away. I reached for my flashlight hanging on my hammock ridgeline, clicked it on and pointed it out at my feet since that was where I had heard some rustling around. Standing there looking right at me was a white tail deer. It was curious enough to sniff around but not stick its nose in to find out who I was. The flashlight and noise I had made didn’t seem to bother it at all. My new friend just looked in and turned around wondered back into the woods following a few others. Wow! What an experience. I’m not sure what I would have done if it was a bear being curious though!

The temps chilled down considerably and into the mid 40’s overnight.
BillyBob66 wrote:… Do you have either pads or UQs to keep the chill off?
That was the one thing we did not have! Thankfully both my son and I brought our rain jackets and used those under ourselves inside our sleeping bags. That worked great believe it or not. I couldn’t believe the difference in temps after I had deployed my rain jacket under me. We were pretty comfortable during the night after we thought of using the jackets. I can’t see spending the money for the UQs since we don’t plan to hang in sub-freezing temps but I will definitely be purchasing some pads for us both to use in the future.

The next morning we broke camp and hiked back down to the Boone Fork parking, loaded the vans up and drove up to the Grandfather Mountain attraction to park one van. We left the van there at the mile high swinging bridge and returned with the other van to the Boone fork parking. Our goal for the day was to take the DBST to Calloway peak and then pick up the Grandfather trail leading to MacRea peak then down to the swinging bridge.

The rain was starting to pick up some but we were determined to get the hike in anyway. Our hike up to Calloway Peak was pretty wet. We passed several other hikers coming back down from Calloway Peak. We stopped to chat with them and asked if anyone came from MacRae Peak to find out how safe it was there and if it was worth continuing on in the rain. If you aren’t familiar with the trails to the west side of Calloway Peak, specifically the Grandfather trail, it is known to be one of the most technical trails east of the Mississippi. We did find a few hikers who had come from the Grandfather trail and said the rain was below the MacRae Peak. It was wet and a little slick in spots but the rain wasn’t hindering the hike so we pressed on. We made our way up to Calloway peak and stopped for a short break to refuel our bodies with lunch and take in the view. Unfortunately, the only view we had was pure white clouds. The smell of the spruce trees was everywhere though and the fresh scent was amazing. I can only imagine the view up there on a clear day!

After our break we started our slow descent to MacRae Peak. The most technical portion of the trail is there. Scrambling over huge boulders and around crevasses, skirting across cliff edges were all part of this section of the trail. Everyone was amazed at the variety the trail gave. The ladders to descend from a portion of MacReas peak was the climax of the trail. There were 4-5 ladders staggered on a cliff side you had to maneuver down. They were wet but not too slippery. We took precautions and made each scout wait until the scout below them had cleared the next ladder before starting their climb down. We all made it safely down and continued our hike into the Grandfather attraction trails which was around the last 0.4 miles of the trail leading to the parking lot.

We did not realize the attraction closed its trails at 5pm until we were off the state park trails and on the private trails owned by the attraction. We showed up at the swinging bridge around 5:45pm. Several cars were still in the parking lot along with ours so we knew we weren’t alone in being late. Signs were posted along the trail AFTER we left the State Park trail stating the park closed at 5pm and if we weren’t back to our cars by then a search party would be sent. A few employees were left at the swinging bridge to assist late hikers getting to their cars. They were really nice and allowed the scouts to visit the swinging bridge for some quick photo ops. After getting some pics we piled into the van to pick up the other van at Boone Fork then headed home.

Overall this was a great experience for everyone who went. From a hammock hanging standpoint this was a great first experience! My son and I are now officially hooked!

What’s next? I’m planning a 2 day hike/hang at Doughton Park in Hays, NC in a few weekends. There are some trails there that make a decent loop for some day hikes. I plan to go with a friend who wants to try out the hammock camping idea. Who knows, we may have another new member of the forum soon! Until then… happy hanging!

I've fiddled with the pics the best I can. All of them are landscape for some reason and I can't get them to go the other way. Sorry for that! BTW, that's me on the Mile High Swinging Bridge.

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 am

Awesome write up and pictures Glad to see you all had a fun safe time and that you got to spend a little face to face time with the deer. Also glad that the rain gear helped with the cool weather sleeping. All in all it looked like a great trip.
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by q3moondog » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 am

So I remembered I have about 3/4 of a roll of Reflectix left after making some pot cozies so I think I'll take some of this to use as our sleeping pads for those cold nights.

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:04 pm

That reflectix will definitely make some good sleeping pads. I have slept on some, the only issue I have is that I am a hot sleeper and it kinda seals in the juices if ya know what I mean. I usually just adjusted my top insulation to where I was cool enough to try to offset the warmth.
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Great write up and great photos. Ive never hiked that trail, and after seeing your photos it's definitely on my list.

The reflectix will make a huge difference, I always carry a piece in my pack. It has a ton of uses in my opinion. I'd recommend cutting off or rounding the corners.

Good luck
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by q3moondog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:05 am

Baby Huey wrote:That reflectix will definitely make some good sleeping pads. I have slept on some, the only issue I have is that I am a hot sleeper and it kinda seals in the juices if ya know what I mean. I usually just adjusted my top insulation to where I was cool enough to try to offset the warmth.
... nice to know this reflectix will make a difference. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.
brainb2 wrote:...I'd recommend cutting off or rounding the corners.
... I'll be sure to do that to the corners. I like the idea of having a small piece to use whenever. Thanks for the idea!

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:36 pm

q3moondog wrote:The temps chilled down considerably and into the mid 40’s overnight.
BillyBob66 wrote:
… Do you have either pads or UQs to keep the chill off?

That was the one thing we did not have! Thankfully both my son and I brought our rain jackets and used those under ourselves inside our sleeping bags. That worked great believe it or not. I couldn’t believe the difference in temps after I had deployed my rain jacket under me. We were pretty comfortable during the night after we thought of using the jackets. I can’t see spending the money for the UQs since we don’t plan to hang in sub-freezing temps but I will definitely be purchasing some pads for us both to use in the future.
Thx for the great report, that was a real adventure!

That is rather amazing to read how much of a boost you got from apparently sleeping on top of your raingear. Most folks would freeze in the 40s with nothing, maybe even inside a synthetic bag and almost for sure inside a down bag and/or using either as a quilt. The only thing I can attribute that to is a vapor barrier effect? Even if your raingear is breathable, some folks claim there is still some VB effect with most of them. In fact, since I do not have VB pants- but only socks and shirt- when I did my biggest VB test so far(6F in an HHSS augmented only with the extra kidney/torso pads) I used my breathable rainpants on my legs. Thin Longjohn pants, then rain pants, then all other insulation. I guess it worked pretty good because my legs and everything else was plenty warm inside a 30F TQ. I'd be curious to know why you apparently got such a boost from nearly zero added actual insulation/loft.

Were you cold before you did this? Were your bags synthetic or down?

Congrats on a great adventure! EDIT: BTW, reflectix is also a VB I'm pretty sure, just like any CCF or inflatable pad..

Bill in N. MS
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by q3moondog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:27 pm

BillyBob66 wrote:Were you cold before you did this? Were your bags synthetic or down?
We were cold before we used our rain gear but not freezing. I talked to my son last night to confirm how he felt. He said he was still cold with his rain jacket under him but not as bad as it was without so it made a little difference for him. It made a big difference for me. Enough to be comfortable the rest of the night. We have 40F synthetic bags. My feet continued to be a bit chilly but my midsection where the rain gear was under me was comfortable. Not "warm" but comfortable. I like to be a bit chilly when i sleep anyway so, I don't know, maybe it would be different for someone else.

I'm heading to Hays, NC next weekend [Oct 23-24] up to Doughton Park with a buddy of mine. Forecast right now is to be mid 40's at night. I'm looking forward to trying out the reflectix pieces to see what difference that'll make.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:04 am

Also, a hand warmer placed under your back near your kidneys will add about 10 degrees to your setup in a pinch. I keep one in my pack for cold weather.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Return to “Appalachia”