ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

I'm Distraught!

Post by ADVStrom14 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:58 am

And I realize a little selfish considering.

I had a camping trip planned this weekend and since I have not been able to get out in a while, I have been really looking forward to it. Well judging by every predicted track of the hurricane/tropical storm in the gulf, we are going to get wind gusts upward of 65 mph, tons of rain and generally terrible weather. I have changed my reservation for camping and knowing my luck, we will have perfect weather all weekend. I will just have to head out into the woods on the farm and find a place to hang if the weather holds out or clears up.

OK, end whiny rant. :lol:

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: I'm Distraught!

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:25 am

Bigger tarp.

Thicker guy lines.

Poncho.

Umbrella.

Rain Jacket.

Galoshes.

Problem solved.

You're welcome :D
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

dirtwheels
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD, Sheltowee, Amok
Tarp: UGQ, Spinn Edge
Suspension: HF Straps & Dynema
Insulation: Downy Goodness

Post by dirtwheels » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:38 pm

GEAR TEST!

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm

dirtwheels wrote:GEAR TEST!
Just what I was thinking! This would be a wonderful opportunity to put that HHSS to the test if you had it! If not, just put that larger tarp Sarge mentioned to the test!

But for real, back in the early days over at the another forum- plus at his own site I think- there was another Sarge, actually Sgt. Rock ( he posts here also, but not in a while I think ). He was famous way back when for taking his new fangled HH, with it's small tarp, on some sort of military training deal down near one of our coasts ( LA? ) just in time for some well known hurricane to strike! If memory serves, he rode it out despite a deluge and floods, and he pretty much stayed dry. All of his tent bound partners in crime were camped in many inches of standing water and were pretty much soaked, or so I remember. So he was quite the testimony to the weather worthiness of hammocks even with a small tarp. I guess he was lucky the winds did not blow his trees down!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:28 pm

BillyBob66 wrote:I guess he was lucky the winds did not blow his trees down!
Honestly, this is my only real fear about continuing to head to the woods. Not necessarily trees themselves coming down but the widow makers - even ones that were scouted and didn't look like they would be an issue. 65 mph wind gusts can do a lot of moving and shaking! I may still head out when my husband isn't looking! :lol:

The HHSS should be here Saturday so I'm looking forward to testing it out...even though it will be after the hurricun'!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:21 pm

ADVStrom14 wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote:I guess he was lucky the winds did not blow his trees down!
Honestly, this is my only real fear about continuing to head to the woods. Not necessarily trees themselves coming down but the widow makers - even ones that were scouted and didn't look like they would be an issue. 65 mph wind gusts can do a lot of moving and shaking! I may still head out when my husband isn't looking! :lol:

The HHSS should be here Saturday so I'm looking forward to testing it out...even though it will be after the hurricun'!
Oh, you went for it, eh? I didn't know that! I guess I figured you would just stick with the Jarbidge.

Well, just remember, there can be a learning curve for every one of these hammock insulation deals, both top and bottom. If you don't believe that, just go over to the other forum sometime and do a search for UQ woes. There are many, many threads over many years on that subject. Not sure what the best search query phrase or word might be. UQ + cold? or just cold, cold back, cold butt? Who knows!

Especially with the old system like I started with in 06, the one where you had to put it on before hanging the hammock, it could be very confusing for a 1st time user. It's much better now, but is still not hard to get confused if you don't pay attention. It is always possible to put either the UQ and/or pad on upside down or backwards. You best guide for that is to make sure all of the side pull out holes line up correctly with the hammock's pull out lines, and that all of the left shoulder pad and UC pull out harnesses are pulled tight against the hammocks left side pull out openings. That is step #1. Also #2: make sure the contours/egg crate on the pad are facing UP, and #3: what used to be darker colored folded seams on the under cover go on the inside. If you get those 3 things right, it will most likely be right. And once you have that figured out, there is really nothing else to adjust. People used to to say that there was just too much fiddle factor with the HHSS, but I think there is far less fiddle factor with it than UQs. (and I use every system), True, some ( many? ) folks find it confusing at first, but once yoy get it figured out, you will realize it is actually simple as 1-2-3. All it is is: The UC blockes wind and rain that gets past the tarp, and the elastics in the UC hold the pad just snug enough up against your back, but not too snug! It is not complicated. And once you have it set up right, there should never be anything that needs adjusting, no worrying about if it is too tight or not tight enough.

It can get more complicated if you start trying to push it past it's rating by adding clothes, quilts or whatever, but even that becomes 1-2-3 simple once you figure out what is going on. One of the all time low records was set when kwpapke was camping with Shug in a MN winter, minus 27F, by adding stuff(summer down bag) he already had to the UC, under the pad! And he was warm! So just watch the videos at HH, and contact me if you have any problems. And don't forget the space blanket under the hammock on top of the pad! Good luck, hope it works for you!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Re: RE: Re: I'm Distraught!

Post by ADVStrom14 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:08 pm

BillyBob66 wrote: People used to to say that there was just too much fiddle factor with the HHSS, but I think there is far less fiddle factor with it than UQs.
This is part of what helped me make up my mind. That and I like options. Between the advice shared by you and dirtwheels I figured I could handle it and it will be a good addition to my gear selection. I did decide tho that I will keep the jarbridge as an underquilt and fiddle with it too so I can have that in my arsenal and I'll invest in a good TQ when that time comes. Right now other than just being a moderate pain in the rear, my mummy bag works because I can unzip it all the way down the feet. Hopefully the hurricun' won't delay my shipping and the HHSS will be here saturday! I'll let you know how it goes!

Jes

Return to “South”