sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Cinch Buckles Explained

Post by sarge » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 am

The two most common methods of attaching your hammock to the straps are the whoopie sling and the cinch buckle. Its my opinion that the cinch buckle is the best method for the new Hanger, as I explain in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1FknhNglos

Good video by Papa Smurf on something to watch out for on your cinch buckles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuO9XqfJmwA

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

WokkaWokka
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Cinch Buckles Explained

Post by WokkaWokka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:10 pm

What is the weight rating on this particular cinch buckle? I know dutch has this one as well as a titanium version with a V shaped notch (not sure if its rated higher or not). I'm comparing because I like the idea of not relying on a whoopie sling (though not real troublesome) for the suspension. I'm close to considering a the Dutch Buckle but it still uses the whoopie or a contiuous loop. Thanks for the vids and info!

edit: I ask because I'm a 6'5" 280lb dude and I'm careful about the hammock gear I want to make or buy.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks for watching!

The cinch buckles are MilSpec rated to about 1500#. The principal difference between the titanium cinch buckle and the "regular" cinch buckle, as I understand it, is weight.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:51 pm

I have both Ti and regular cinch buckles. The ti buckles are nice, but all my purchases since that one set have been regular cinch buckles because the weight savings isn't worth the money, AND the ti buckles have destroyed 2 straps to date (pretty sure it was the buckle eating into a taut strap and fraying the edge enough to cause failure ultimately)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

WokkaWokka
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WokkaWokka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:51 pm

The thought of the buckles hurting the straps crossed my mind. I'll do the right thing and play with the set ups at home. Thanks for input Sarge and Scuba!!

Return to “New Hanger Central”