WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Storing Hammock Gear And Associated Items

Post by WonderMonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:09 pm

This is both on and off topic, and I can move this to another forum if needed......

I have been using my garage for storing my hammocks, UQ's backpacks and everything else associated with hiking/camping. It's out of control. While staring at it today (after a kayak trip with the wife and another couple) I was whining about how it's all out of whack and she suggested that I use an area of the basement (unfinished) that kind of a cubbyhole type thing. It's big enough that if I give it some thought I can really organize things.

Here is what I experience, I'm sure some of you are the same.

1 - Time is short. I work a bunch, have kids, and I coach. Rarely is a hammocking or other outing long term planned out. Went TWO weekends ago with a week's notice but that was rare.

2 - When I get back from the camping trip I don't properly put things away because it has to air out, etc. and by the time I need to go get it all sorted out I'm on to the next thing and it is a few weeks before I can deal with it. By that time the small mess had grown.

3 - When I get to go as in in #1 things are still not put away from the previous time so I run around and try to find things and getting ready to go out the door is not as fun as it should be.

So...... I'm going to go clear out this area and see what I have to work with. I'm going to get some ideas from you fine people and the internet in general about storing things. I want to be able to know what I really have, get ready for an outing in a reasonable amount of time and be able to PUT THINGS AWAY so that it makes sense.

Wherever this thread lands I'm going to update it as I go through the journey of organizing my outdoors life. Except for the kayaks, those have to stay in the garage.

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Storing Hammock Gear And Associated Items

Post by Baby Huey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:28 pm

I usually pack things up in the house as Humidity is a big thing here in south Houston. I am jealous that you have a basement. I usually pack up at the camp site and leave hammocks and tarps in their stuff sacks till the next trip unless they are damp or wet in which case I spread them out and let them dry before packing them into their stuff sacks. Our quilts we always hang them loose in the loos bags that were provided with them from Paul and Missy at UGQ. The main hassle for us is cooking gear and foods which need more immediate attention. Especially when we are car camping, Mrs. Baby Huey pretty much sets up a kitchen.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:43 pm

I pack mine in plastic storage bins and store them in my home office
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WonderMonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Baby Huey wrote:I usually pack things up in the house as Humidity is a big thing here in south Houston. I am jealous that you have a basement. I usually pack up at the camp site and leave hammocks and tarps in their stuff sacks till the next trip unless they are damp or wet in which case I spread them out and let them dry before packing them into their stuff sacks. Our quilts we always hang them loose in the loos bags that were provided with them from Paul and Missy at UGQ. The main hassle for us is cooking gear and foods which need more immediate attention. Especially when we are car camping, Mrs. Baby Huey pretty much sets up a kitchen.
I have the UGQ large storage sack as well and use it. I may actually take the time to list out my gear as I go through this but when one stops to think of ALL the items they have it's a bunch. I do know that a clothes rack type setup is good to store all kinds of things such as UQ's, TQ's, sleeping bags and such to allow to air and loft but can also hang other things.

My main forcus will be to allow as much as possible to be stored in an organized manner. It's easy to just throw things in bins and stack them up but that would not take advantage of this opportunity.

WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WonderMonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Scuba wrote:I pack mine in plastic storage bins and store them in my home office
I do that quite a bit now but I tend to then have things in the bottom of a bin, etc. and sort of lose them. Bins are great for larger items and I'll keep doing that but I'm going to look for ways to store non bin items as well.

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Hanging options are always good for organizing space and just need a dowel rod or pipe hung to suspend loads and still have room below for your bins. I use a shelf similar to this for medium and small packables. http://www.homedecorators.com/p/sweater ... -set-of-2/
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WonderMonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Baby Huey wrote:Hanging options are always good for organizing space and just need a dowel rod or pipe hung to suspend loads and still have room below for your bins. I use a shelf similar to this for medium and small packables. http://www.homedecorators.com/p/sweater ... -set-of-2/
Very nice. I think a few of those would do just fine for all kinds of thinks. I'll be picking something like that up. Thanks for the point?

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:27 am

WonderMonkey wrote:1 - Time is short. I work a bunch, have kids, and I coach. Rarely is a hammocking or other outing long term planned out. Went TWO weekends ago with a week's notice but that was rare.

2 - When I get back from the camping trip I don't properly put things away because it has to air out, etc. and by the time I need to go get it all sorted out I'm on to the next thing and it is a few weeks before I can deal with it. By that time the small mess had grown.

3 - When I get to go as in in #1 things are still not put away from the previous time so I run around and try to find things and getting ready to go out the door is not as fun as it should be.
We must be each other's doppelganger's. That describes my situation to a tee.
This is my signature.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:19 am

As Baby Huey said, moisture is going to be your biggest enemy. Hang clothing on clothes hangers and put insulation, hammocks, and tarps in mesh laundry bags and hang them as well.

The big plastic tubs are good for putting stuff in as Scuba mentioned. That makes them easy to transport stuff for car camping, especially if each tub is grouped with like items, and they can seal up fairly well to keep out bugs and mice.

If you look at the Gear Bunker in my videos, you can see that I use a combination of the tubs, hanging clothes, and the sweater organizer that Baby Huey linked to. I also use these shoe organizers for smaller items: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-202439 ... RQod-6cMog

And for stuff that is inconvenient to put into the big tubs, I have several of these: http://www.of-rion.com/storage-containe ... int-ideas/
in several different sizes.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Pine E. Woods » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:35 am

I have a lot of gear in my unfinished basement, on shelves in CLEAR plastic storage bins. But...

95% of the things I take backpacking come with me on EVERY TRIP. So I finally thought, why do I put this stuff away? Instead, I just keep some stuff in my pack hanging up, and some stuff in a smaller bin ready to go...no lid or anything. That makes it easy and I won't forget those things. I also use a gear list to check off before every trip.

Things that lie out for about 2 days to dry:
Tarp, hammock, UQ/TQ set up - easy to do in an unfinished basement
Water bottle/bladder after washing
Sawyer mini filter
Clothes after washing

Then I'll put this stuff away when dry.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:15 pm

All over the formal dinning room seeing how we never use it for its intended purpose. Not since we had kids anyway, dinning room table is redundant with kitchen table so is a great place to sort items, repack sleep bags, quilts, tarps, stack containers under and around it. :-) Sure hope my wife does not read this and I sure hope I never need to remarry, that would be a painful process for me. Ha ha ha

Return to “New Hanger Central”