ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Best Hammock For A Noob

Post by ezadventurer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:31 am

PREACHER wrote: I don't know if I would recommend Dream Hammock or a serious DIY hammock to a noob. Lots of options and choices that will mean nothing to a beginner, and likely be overwhelming. Let a Dream Hammock be what you aspire into imo. :)
I would guess it depends on what kind of noob one might be. I was a backpacker and had moved from hauling a tent to sleeping under a tarp back in the '90s. I read about the hennessy back then, but ended up switching jobs and took a hit on the outdoors. When I got back in to hiking and backpacking, I knew what I wanted and ordered the hennessy.

If it were someone that did not already have the hiking or camping bug, then I would think there would be a better chance that the hammock would be bought and not utilized. After all, you would then have someone that might have to first fall in love with sleeping outdoors and fall in love with hammocks. Even so, with all the different rigs out there, it would be best for them to try what a few and then make the plunge. For a camping and hiking noob, I would steer them towards a lower cost hammock just to ensure that they will get outdoors. For someone already spending time, then perhaps a more costly option might not be a waste of money. That comes later when they start experimenting and collecting other options.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:56 am

Most important thing is just buy something try it out sleep in your yard, porch, local park if allowed within half day drive. If you can return it great if not use it for lounging at picnics then buy what you should have now you understand better and can ask valid questions and order the correct options. Sell that used ENO DN on eBay or Craigslist or whatever, but like I said still fine for hanging out at the local park or down by the lake just not something I particularly what to sleep in overnight, thin pad on wet ground is almost better. But at 51 I can still sleep all night in an Alite butterfly chair leaning against a log with a millitary ponch on but not my first choice for sure. Dang bugs and snakes crawling on me all night is irritating.

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 pm

Another thing you can do is go to a group hang and see if people will let you try out there hammock. You can get a lot of good information from them and see the differences between different models. Try to find a friend with a hammock that will let you borrow it for an overnight in your own yard. Have them set it up for you so you can see the correct way it is hung and so it will give you the best lay possible to give you a good idea if that is the hammock for you. If you lay at an angle, you will need a hammock that is long enough and wide enough for you to do so comfortably. Your height, body weight, body shape, how you sleep (on back or side, sleep cold or hot, do you turn over a lot, do you get up a lot at night, so forth) will all factor into which hammock is your best bet. A hammock that is too short will not allow you to lay at an angle effectively. A hammock that is too narrow will also not lay right and will pinch your shoulders. Too light of a fabric will stretch a lot depending on your weight. Being able to get in and out of your hammock at night may be an issue for you. How easy it is to set up and take down are also considerations. There is a lot of really good information on this forum (and others) as well as videos on YouTube (Shug and Sarge just to name a few) that have excellent tutorials on how to hang as well as gear reviews.

Best advice is to read, read, read and read some more. Watch videos if you don't want to read. Learn as much as you can and then make an informed decision as to which hammock is right for you. No one can tell you what hammock to buy as there are just too many personal factors (including personal taste-like colors) to consider and ultimately, you will be the one sleeping in it. We can certainly point out great manufacturers of hammocks, and there are several, but in the end what is best for you can only be decided by you.

Good luck with your search and please post on here what you end up with and how you like it.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 pm

I am starting in a ENO Double Nest bought on sale at REI for $100. I am looking at modifications to make to include longer straps. My question is would rappelling rings work as well as the marlin spike knot?
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:57 pm

I tried descender rings for a while and ended up not liking them. Whoopies vexed me greatly. I've been using cinch buckles for three years now. Couple extra grams---I can live with that for simplicity and efficiency.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “New Hanger Central”