pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Bridge Hammock

Post by pofloyd1 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:29 am

Does any one have a suggestion for a cheap bridge type hammock for my wife to try out. She does OK in the gathered end double type hammock, but she said it sometimes bothers her shoulders or her feet? Thanks

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Bridge Hammock

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 pm

pofloyd1 wrote:Does any one have a suggestion for a cheap bridge type hammock for my wife to try out. She does OK in the gathered end double type hammock, but she said it sometimes bothers her shoulders or her feet? Thanks
I can't think of a cheap one. When I first tried the very first camping bridge to hit the market, I decided I did not like it(changed my mind big time later after trying again) and returned it to JRB in about 2 or 3 weeks for a full refund. So I guess you could go that route, just ask them what their current satisfaction guarantee is. But, they are not inexpensive, nor is the War Bonnet RR. ( I later became a big fan of any bridge, I currently have my original replacement(after I wanted to give it a 2nd chance) JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock(BMBH) ( from 2007 ) plus a newer JRB BMBH UL and the WB. I like them all, though they vary in their advantages. Where do you live, anyone close by that might let you try theirs? Drop by over here in Tupelo, MS and you can borrow one of mine!

EDIT: OK, I see you are in Indiana, kind of a far drive down here to try a hammock! LOL!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks for the offer as you said a little too far. Yes I started checking prices and they are a little salty. So is a bridge hammock the same or similar to a jungle hammock only made of lighter material? Plus I am going to check if some DIY may off set some of the pricing.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I made one based on patterns I found online and I hated it. I had more issues with shoulder squeeze than any gathered end. Others have used the same pattern and raved about it.

I use 10'6" hammocks with a fixed ridgeline at 8'9", or just a shade over 83% of the hammock length. Getting the right angle can make a world of difference with comfort.

If you're not using a ridgeline in the gathered end I would try one at 83% before you shell out $200 or tackle a big diy project.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:00 am

Idaho Hanger wrote:I made one based on patterns I found online and I hated it. I had more issues with shoulder squeeze than any gathered end. Others have used the same pattern and raved about it.

I use 10'6" hammocks with a fixed ridgeline at 8'9", or just a shade over 83% of the hammock length. Getting the right angle can make a world of difference with comfort.

If you're not using a ridgeline in the gathered end I would try one at 83% before you shell out $200 or tackle a big diy project.
I got the maybe about the 6th JRB BMBH ever made, I was on a waiting list before any had ever been on the market. I was so excited to get it, but took it out in the back yard, jumped in and thought: shoulder squeeze! :o and it seemed unstable. And other than using a pad, I could not insulate it. I panicked and returned it while I could get a refund no questions asked.

But over a few months, I got to wondering if I had not given it a fair trial. Because even with the problems I perceived from 1st impression, I remembered that there were a few things that were just great, like zero calf ridge, knee extension or side hitch without ever having to think about it. No sweet spots or perfect ridge line length(actually, no RL at all) needed for any of that, it just seemed automatic. So a few months after returning it, I got another and worked with taking my time. After a while, I loved it. And I decided that, despite the lack of shoulder room and the way my shoulders were forced into the curve of the hammock, there was no actual shoulder squeeze or discomfort like I might get with a gathered end hung too tight. Then I got an UQ and discovered how easy bridges are to insulate. So I became a big fan. Though I still debate whether they are worth the trouble and weight (spreader bars) compared to my Claytor No Net. And sometime I get nostalgic for my HH Super Shelter. Still, bridges are the only hammocks I have tried that are guaranteed to never have any leg or side discomfort. Though my Claytor is pretty close, but sometimes I still have to search for a sweet spot or make sure it is hung the perfect tightness or feet high enough, etc. But it is different for some folks, it is an individual thing.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Shaggy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Shaggy » Fri May 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Massdrop has the Lawson Tent Hammock for $135ish https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lawson-ham ... nt-hammock

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:I made one based on patterns I found online and I hated it. I had more issues with shoulder squeeze than any gathered end. Others have used the same pattern and raved about it.

Thanks we found two things that maybe her problem, 1st was the 83% ridgeline I don't know what I did or when I did it but I 4" too long, I used zing-it so I messed up. 2nd she is using a Yukon Outfitters hammock from woot which has a seam on each side. she thinks that may be part of the problem. I will redo the ridgeline to see if that helps then go from there.

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. Redid the ridgeline to 83% and my wife is taking a nap in it right now. I messed up or something stretched. I am going to check the other three hammocks to be sure they are OK. Thanks again.

thanhliem24
Reactions:
Hammock: Hammock Stand
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by thanhliem24 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

I think Blue Ridge Camping Hammock will be necessary for you.
I am finding a hammock at best hammock.
My site: best hard hat.

Return to “New Hanger Central”