Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: UGQ WD 13ft
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Best slow cooker camping options

Post by Karla (with a k) » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

Here's my problem: I'd love to slow cook in a dutch oven while camping, but hate that you have to change out coals and can't walk away from camp while your food cooks. Is there a way to slow cook your food while camping which allows you to be away from camp (or cook overnight)? (And not in an RV or pop-up camper?)

Solution #1 - Normal programmable crock pot.

Questions & Hurdles: You would need an electric site and since I hammock camp, I need wooded tent sites which usually do not have electrcity. However, if I did have electricity, how to keep animals out? Is it safe to feed an extension cord into your car? Through a cracked window?

Solution #2 - The Wonderbag. https://thewonderbagshop.com/

Questions & Hurdles: I've never heard of these bags before! What is in them? Has anyone ever tried this? Could I make one? I would feel totally comfortable leaving this in the car overnight and it doesn't need electricity!

Solution #3 - Thermal Cooker
https://mrdscookware.co.uk/

Questions & Hurdles: This option seem very comparable to the Wonderbag. Does this work better or worse than a Wonderbag? I still like that it doesn't need electrcity and could sit in the car overnight.

Solution #4 - Hay Box Cooker
http://www.instructables.com/id/hay-box-cooker/

Questions & Hurdles: Hay Boxes were used back in WWII and (as far as I know) are not produced now. So, this would be a DIY option. Pros and Cons to DIY stuff. Has anyone ever made one? Any advice?

◘ Aug 24-26: Pie Iron Hang @ I&M Canal, IL ◘ Labor Day: Kickapoo Valley Challenge @ Wildcat Mtn SP, WI ◘ Oct 12-14: MI Chili Festival ◘ Nov 9 -11: New Moon Hang @ Newport SP ◘ Dec. 7-9: Winter DaShack Hang ◘ May 17-19: 3rd Annual BACONFEST ◘ 32 months of camping at least one night ◘ My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/karlawithak216

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Re: Best slow cooker camping options

Post by Polkster13 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am

You could always get a small Honda electric generator that runs on gasoline. These are very quiet, but you would still not be able to run them at night-only during the day if you are at a State Park or similar that has quiet time hours.

You could cook the food at home prior to leaving for your trip (this would be for short haul trips) and then wrap the crock pot in some form of insulation to keep the food warm.

You can run an extension cord though your window but be careful that the pot isn't touching anything that could cause it to catch on fire while in your car. Nothing like a car fire to get your day going!

If it were me and I was car camping in a site without electricity, I would just opt for the dutch oven and just know that I will need to check on it several times throughout the cooking process (usually around an hour to hour-and-a-half at most). I would also want to make sure nothing is disturbing my meal while I am cooking.

Also, I would never leave a fire or something cooking unattended; either while I am at home or away on a campout. I would just make sure that I set aside enough time to properly cook my meals and be safe at the same time. You just never know what may happen while you are away. If I am around and something bad happens, I should be able to catch it pretty quickly before it turns into a much larger problem-like a burnt meal or worse yet a forest fire.

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: UGQ WD 13ft
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Post by Karla (with a k) » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am

Polkster13 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am
You could always get a small Honda electric generator that runs on gasoline.
* I never considered a generator. Yes, that would work for me to plug in a crockpot during the day.

You could cook the food at home prior to leaving for your trip (this would be for short haul trips) and then wrap the crock pot in some form of insulation to keep the food warm.
*Yes, that is much like the thermal cooking and hay box ideas.

You can run an extension cord though your window but be careful that the pot isn't touching anything that could cause it to catch on fire while in your car. Nothing like a car fire to get your day going!
Fire is exactly my fear. Although I've left my crockpot on during the day at my house and never feared fire.

If it were me and I was car camping in a site without electricity, I would just opt for the dutch oven.
I currently use a dutch oven, but I'm after this research want to try this thermal cooking concept.

Also, I would never leave a fire or something cooking unattended; either while I am at home or away on a campout. I
Totally agree!
◘ Aug 24-26: Pie Iron Hang @ I&M Canal, IL ◘ Labor Day: Kickapoo Valley Challenge @ Wildcat Mtn SP, WI ◘ Oct 12-14: MI Chili Festival ◘ Nov 9 -11: New Moon Hang @ Newport SP ◘ Dec. 7-9: Winter DaShack Hang ◘ May 17-19: 3rd Annual BACONFEST ◘ 32 months of camping at least one night ◘ My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/karlawithak216

iconicflux
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RE: Best slow cooker camping options

Post by iconicflux » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Karla (with a k) wrote:Image
Here's my problem: I'd love to slow cook in a dutch oven while camping, but hate that you have to change out coals and can't walk away from camp while your food cooks. Is there a way to slow cook your food while camping which allows you to be away from camp (or cook overnight)? (And not in an RV or pop-up camper?)

Solution #1 - Normal programmable crock pot.

Questions & Hurdles: You would need an electric site and since I hammock camp, I need wooded tent sites which usually do not have electrcity. However, if I did have electricity, how to keep animals out? Is it safe to feed an extension cord into your car? Through a cracked window?

Solution #2 - The Wonderbag. https://thewonderbagshop.com/

Questions & Hurdles: I've never heard of these bags before! What is in them? Has anyone ever tried this? Could I make one? I would feel totally comfortable leaving this in the car overnight and it doesn't need electricity!

Solution #3 - Thermal Cooker
https://mrdscookware.co.uk/

Questions & Hurdles: This option seem very comparable to the Wonderbag. Does this work better or worse than a Wonderbag? I still like that it doesn't need electrcity and could sit in the car overnight.

Solution #4 - Hay Box Cooker
http://www.instructables.com/id/hay-box-cooker/

Questions & Hurdles: Hay Boxes were used back in WWII and (as far as I know) are not produced now. So, this would be a DIY option. Pros and Cons to DIY stuff. Has anyone ever made one? Any advice?
I have a wonderbag. It's awesome but the cooking area is a little small in my opinion.

Also, don't leave it out where there are wild horses like assateague.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 am

They used hay box cookers on the wagons headed West I think. I remember Grandma using one Grandpa had made when they were out in the fields or out cutting wood. They had no electricity or the materials we have today. We have used a panel type solar cooker while camping before.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”