gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Ideal Camping Vehicle for Hammocking and Backpacking

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm

It looks like I'm going to need to replace my Buick Enclave due to the possibility of major mechanical failure being imminent. So, I'm looking for the ideal vehicle to be a 1) daily driver, 2)camping accessory, 3)extended off-road trip ability and 4) a base camp for backpacking. I might even think about doing kayak trips too. I need to keep it in a reasonable price range.

Currently the best option I've found so far to fit what I would like in a vehicle is a Subaru Forester with the 4 Cylinder diesel engine, manual shift, lifted package. Unfortunately, these are not sold in the U.S., nor are they available for import, although I'm seriously considering going to Mexico and working a way to get one back across. My wife currently drives a Subaru Legacy, and I really love that vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnDwfqeqMA

(The whole small engine diesel cars/pickups in the U.S. are another topic for another day, but where I'm at in the wide open west, this is a logical solution, but not really going to happen anytime soon.)

So, ideal features would include a roof rack, weather proof packing area, (shell top on a truck or large hatchback) smaller trailer towing ability, off road/over landing ability (Another cool topic to discuss?) and durability. I am not a fan of the large diesel pickups/smoke belchers.

Any ideas out there? I prefer good headroom and comfort on long drives, and if I'm going to include my wife in future trips, she would prefer the option to have comfortable digs, Ala car camping.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Take it easy,
GMCPCS

Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Ideal Camping Vehicle for Hammocking and Backpacking

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Most important question, what is your budget?
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I love my Expedition. I loved my 2011 Tundra. For a smaller truck, the Toyota Tacoma is bombproof, and Toyotas have excellent resale. I walked out the door on my Tundra for about 25K (military appreciation deal and hella rebates for a V8 crewmax SR5 tundra) and sold it for $20k 6yrs and 75k miles later. If the full size toyota Sequoia was as big as my expedition EL, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

gmcpcs
Reactions:

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 am

Scuba wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm
Most important question, what is your budget?
Yeah, I am looking to find something that can be around the 18K price range. (Dreaming.)

Tacoma looks good. I'm going to look at a Jeep Liberty today, only because it is a pretty good looking deal. (Just empty every pocket) Those military deals are tempting, but I'm looking to get out from under the "new car" equity loss when you drive it off the lot. Does Toyota make a truck/SUV with a smaller diesel?

Also, the huge problem that I foresee is that the used vehicle market will be getting flooded with "flood vehicles" from South Texas...but maybe I can be smart enough to spot those, if they are going to be a problem. Or, alternatively, maybe a chance for a good deal? I'm not sure if the Houston flood was mostly fresh water, but I bet the coast area was flooded with salt water, which is a huge no for a used vehicle that was submerged under that! I could deal with a used that was maybe flooded to the floor boards, but not up to the electronics and seats.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Toyota makes a diesel overseas but not here in the US. The Hilux is their overseas small truck model and it is AWESOME. You see em all over the sandbox and those things are incredible. I think GM offers a small diesel in their GMC Canyon, might want to check this out.

If you are a USAA member check with them for their used financing options, i got mine financed at an absurdly low rate , like 2%, which is insane for a used vehicle.

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Port with 5-speed manual with an inline 6-cyclinder engine. It has 246,000 miles on it and I am just breaking it in. I do all of the work on it myself. I use it for scuba diving, backpacking, camping, kayaking (I put both kayaks on the roof rack) and also use it as a work vehicle when I am doing one-off handyman jobs. I have taken it to New Mexico two years in a row now for backpacking trips. It is an extremely comfortable ride and I love the seats in it. It can also haul 5,000 pounds on the trailer hitch that I have on it. I love the four-wheel drive whenever I am at the coast driving in the sand or out at Big Bend National Park. I have had several people ask me if I wanted to sell it as they would really like to buy it from me. I am the original owner and plan on keeping it for another 200,000+ miles.

gmcpcs
Reactions:

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Well,

I went with this one:
Subaru Forester 2.5i: Still enough of a car, but a little bit of a beefier ride than the Legacy, and I can tow a small, (really small) trailer. Yeah, USAA is the bomb.
IMAG0370.jpg
Take it easy,
GMCPCS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam Houston

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”