GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Moving to Montana - slowly

Post by GregD » Thu May 11, 2017 2:57 pm

I've been at the same job and in the same house in Sugar Land, a bit southwest of Houston, for 27 years as of next month. But in a few weeks I'm moving the wife up to a house on 40 acres in Clinton, MT.

My next hike is from the back of the house to the back property line and then just a bit farther to the top of the hill - about 1/2 mile and 1300 ft of elevation gain. That hilltop is part of approximately 50 square miles of public land (Nature Conservancy, federal and state). The hillside is so steep you can tie one end of your hammock high in a tree and stake the other end to the ground. When we inspected the property pre-purchase I spent about 2 hours getting most of the way up before calling it quits.

The closing on my Sugar Land house is in July. Unlike my wife, I'm not quite ready to become permanently unemployed, so I'm looking looking for someplace cheap for me and my two dogs to stay for maybe a year or so. This fall/winter will likely be my last shot to do the whole LSHT.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the heat, humidity, and brutal sunshine of the Texas gulf coast.
But I'm gonna freeze.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Moving to Montana - slowly

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm

TAKE...ME...WITH...YOU!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 am

We lived in Great Falls from December 1969 thru 1971. The winters....... We went to school when the wind chill was like 20 below.... My dad was USAF....when he had the alert vehicle home, SOP was "leave it running.....all the time....all night.....so we don't have to try and start it when it is 20, or more, below zero". The snow pile on the side of the house, where we'd shoveled the snow off the drive way....well, we put firecrackers in it.....for July 4th... (it was on the shady side of the house). We were exploring Glacier National park in August. When the rangers came by and informed us of the bad storm and they were closing everything but the main road...no, it wasn't optional, leave....

But a lot of people really love it up there.

Wishing you all the best up there!
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 am

KINGLONESTAR wrote:TAKE...ME...WITH...YOU!!!
Not a reaction I expected from someone with that avatar.
Its only April and we've had a bunch of surprisingly nice weather lately.
Whatcha gonna do come August?

This is a pic of the back of the house from the front of the property:

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Fri May 12, 2017 5:34 pm

^^ outstanding!
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 am

Yeah...I'd be out standing in the woods breathing the fresh, non-Houston-traffic-clogging-car-exhaust-filled air!!! Heading to Yellowstone AND Glacier this July and can't WAIT to see those big Montana skies! As for the avatar, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and some parts of Colorado have requested clemency and are under consideration for inclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:48 pm

GregD wrote:I've been at the same job and in the same house in Sugar Land, a bit southwest of Houston, for 27 years as of next month. But in a few weeks I'm moving the wife up to a house on 40 acres in Clinton, MT.

My next hike is from the back of the house to the back property line and then just a bit farther to the top of the hill - about 1/2 mile and 1300 ft of elevation gain. That hilltop is part of approximately 50 square miles of public land (Nature Conservancy, federal and state). The hillside is so steep you can tie one end of your hammock high in a tree and stake the other end to the ground. When we inspected the property pre-purchase I spent about 2 hours getting most of the way up before calling it quits.

The closing on my Sugar Land house is in July. Unlike my wife, I'm not quite ready to become permanently unemployed, so I'm looking looking for someplace cheap for me and my two dogs to stay for maybe a year or so. This fall/winter will likely be my last shot to do the whole LSHT.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the heat, humidity, and brutal sunshine of the Texas gulf coast.
But I'm gonna freeze.
Yes you are, but I am totally envious. That sounds wonderful.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:34 pm

My wife has been eyeing Montana lately. To much growth in our formally sleepy Florida town. Only problem would be finding work. And the cold Of course. Beautiful country out there for sure.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Yeah...I'd be out standing in the woods breathing the fresh, non-Houston-traffic-clogging-car-exhaust-filled air!!!
Actually Missoula County regularly has air quality issues. Forest fires for one. Residential heating from burning wood for two. Add to that several EPA superfund sites, the most famous of which is probably the Berkeley Pit upriver from us, and that river (Clark Fork) has scattered heavy metal deposits from mine tailings. Radioactive radon gas in houses is common, and its probably also in the well water. So nothing is perfect, but I'm looking forward to getting up there.

Also, they're expecting snow at the higher elevations these days. Global Warming!

thanhliem24
Reactions:
Hammock: Hammock Stand
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by thanhliem24 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:19 am

Can you make your dreams come true? Wish you soon escape the hot summer in the Texas gulf coast.
I am finding a hammock at best hammock.
My site: best hard hat.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 am

I got my wife moved to Montana.

For a few days we didn't have the dining table and chairs set up. But there was a table and some chairs on the back patio that were left by the previous owners. So this is what we had to look at while eating meals:

Most of that is actually the neighbors' property. Turning to the left and stepping away from the house you see a good portion of my front yard, which in this view is all of the foreground and extends maybe halfway up the hill in the right background:

I'm back at work in Texas. I noticed that when I talk to my wife on the phone, she does not sound the least bit stressed. That didn't used to happen very often.

Sleeping out in the back yard ain't gonna be nothing like it used to.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am

Lucky bastid
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:21 pm

BillyBob66 wrote:Lucky bastid
Yes. I. Am. That happened when I got the woman to marry me. I've been enjoying the benefits ever since.

But I'm not too bright. I'm sitting at a computer in a nondescript building in the city.

thanhliem24
Reactions:
Hammock: Hammock Stand
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by thanhliem24 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:33 pm

GregD wrote:I got my wife moved to Montana.

I'm back at work in Texas. I noticed that when I talk to my wife on the phone, she does not sound the least bit stressed. That didn't used to happen very often.

Sleeping out in the back yard ain't gonna be nothing like it used to.
This place is very beautiful. Pine forests bring fresh air.
I am finding a hammock at best hammock.
My site: best hard hat.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”